Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Optimal scale in DBP?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
What is the preferred and/or most functional scale to use in DBP? That is, relative to a unit sphere created with size 1.0, how many units high should a figure or object be to handle effectively? Or does scale manke a difference?

I'm thinking about this because of some shader problems. The built-in bump map functions make my objects explode. When I looked at the bump map shader in Dark Shader, I found that my objects are about 1% the size of those used by Dark Shader. The DS cube, imported into DBP, is 101 units high. My entire world is scaled at about 1.0 units high. I'm beginning to think this is causing me problems, at least with shaders. But I'd assume smaller scale could lead to problems with, for instance, float inaccuracy in collision calculations or normals rendering.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this?
calcyman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2009 09:58
Generally 1 unit : 1 metre is a good scale, and imported models generally use this scale. Certain physics engines rely on this scale in order to simulate gravity (9.8 m/s²).

The optimist's right, The pessimist's right.
Cagedrei
Years of Service
User Offline
So my world is too small. D'oh. LOL I'll have to figure out how to scale my figures in Blender before I export them. Hmm. May have to edit that FBX exporter....

Thanks, calcyman.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 04:14:02
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 04:14:02