Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Low resolution trouble

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2009 13:35
Hi,

I've been working on a game called "Shoot N Pray" for some time. Basically, it is a reactions game where the person who hits their key first when told to do so "shoots" the other person. However unfortunatly, I made it with a high screen resolution not realising that this would mean it would not run on most computers. I have done my best to put in place a low resolution option but some problems with this version remain.

I'm afraid that the game is now too large to upload here but I will try and describe what is going wrong to see if you have any ideas. The main problem is when I open the page to enter data about multiplayer. On high resolution, this works fine. On low resolution, the screen flickers whith dark bands going across the screen. Further, their is a loop in place which writes the data into the text boxes displayed on the screen. This works fine in high resolution but on low resolution, the text jumps around, sometimes being in the box, sometimes jumping far above the hight of the box.

My "high resolution" version is for 1280,1024,32 and my "low resolution" version is for 640,512,16.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bursar
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks like you're using a non-standard resolution. You want to use 640x480 or 800x600 as your low res version.
Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2009 18:20 Edited at: 20th Apr 2009 18:25
Thanks for your tip. I have now changed the screen resolution to 640 by 480 but the problems continue... Any other ideas?

One other thing. To get it to work on the normal resolution, I had to use the sync command; if I did not, the text on the screen flickered. Thus, I am using sync. I don't know if this is relivent although I suspect not as I find that on low resolution without sync, the text still flickers AS WELL as suffering from the problems outlined in my first post.

Thanks for you help
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2009 18:45
Quote: "the screen flickers whith dark bands going across the screen."

I`m guessing here as without some sample code and media its hard to say but the flickering is likely to be down to you cursor being offscreen - the color bands could be down to this too or if you have an image pasted to screen it could be because your running in 16 bit color. If you run out of screen space when drawing text to screen it can push the screen down if your using a 3d scene. You should post some code at the very least as your problem could be just about anything.
Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2009 21:37
Quote: "You should post some code at the very least as your problem could be just about anything."

Ok I will try but it will need some explaining. There are six 'screens' which have this problem. Two of them are the results screen which state who or which team has one. The other four are all input pages; two for team mode, two for torniment mode. I will show you for code for the first page of the team mode input. This is very similar to the other four input pages and is the most complex. I will also add the code for both of the results pages as this may help and they are handled by the same function.

Page One of the Team Input Page:

The Multiplayer Results Page:

I have put notes through the code to try and make it easier to understand. I hope this helps and any hints you can give me are most welcome. If you want any more code or any explanations, do feel free to ask. Thanks again, Lucas
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2009 01:11
Ok - where to start! A lot of stuff in the code depends on code not provided so I`m having a little difficulty piecing this together, however I suspect there is a lot more code to this so posting it might not get too many responses. You can still post the rest if you like but it would be much better if you could recreate just one of these "screens" with the same issues, but as a compilable shorter piece of code - sounds like there are some common problems with all "screens". Its quite possible that the flickering is either down to what I said earlier and looking at your code it could be down to when you use sync or switch it off/on or a combination of them all - even the use of functions within functions and the way you use looping nests could be/part of the issue. If you have problems reducing the code to a more simplified recreation then I`ll take a look at your whole code if you post it, but I can`t promise anything. Long programs are notoriously difficult to bug hunt - not to say impossible, someone else might spot something in the code you have posted, might even be obvious and I "can`t see for looking".
Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2009 09:59
Thanks for your offer James. Before I post all of the code, I will see if I can simulate a one off screen do post up here. However at first, I have been having some trouble with this too...

Whilst trying to create this screen, I noticed another thing in my code which could be causing the trouble. Because I am always printing over sprites, I have to have the background's alpha on (I have it at 80) so that the text shows up. If I don't do this, all printed text is hidden.

Could this be the problem and is there any other way of making the text display over the top of the background sprite? I suspect it is not as, as I have already said, the high resolution version works fine. However it is always a possibility...

Anyway I will see if I can get an example page up here soon (although its back to school so that may not be very soon).

Thanks for your help,
Lucas

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 04:15:30
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 04:15:30