Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Should I change to FPS creator?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok so I've said stuff about my game before, and now I'm seriously doubting my choice for DB Pro.
I've said some but never really came out and explained my game; it'll be an FPSRPG, you will be one character leading a squad, total of 5 including yourself, through dungeons and forts and such looking for rare items, artifacts, or just the arm of a beast! fully customizable guns, bows, knifes, all kinda of weapons including prehistoric, medieval, modern, and even some futuristic things like weapons, armor, and..who knows? maybe a tank..?
which is better, or which would give a better result in making this: Dark Basic Pro, or FPS Creator? no duh i posted in the wrong section, and i will be doing all the work myself, but eh. i want it to rock!
oh yeah if anyone's interested in helping, pm plz.
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2009 21:50 Edited at: 28th Apr 2009 21:51
It depends.

FPS Creator is made with DBPro. It's a prebuilt framework so you don't have to do a lot of the work yourself to create modular maps, entities, and all the other stuff crammed in there.

So the big question then is, does FPS Creator have everything you need to bring your game to the level you want?

If it does, then you are set.

If it doesn't, then you have to decide if you can do it better in DBPro, or maybe you'll want to use the newly released source for FPSC and modify that to fit your needs.

I've resisted FPSC so far, but I am starting to see it's merits, and I've been considering an FPS project recently.

Panzer
Years of Service
User Offline
well i was able to look at it, and it won't work; there seems to be no script to it, or i just can't find it in the map editor. i'd need to add levels, skills, stats, cash, and other junk into it.
i might look at the source code, see if i can make it closer to my needs.
man it's probably going to end up i gotta do everything from scratch. c'est la vie(such is life, non french speakers)
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
I would advise against it. Its very slow for starters, and not at all very flexible, i would definatly stick with dbpro

Omricon W.I.P
MSon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2009 15:35
FPS Creator is more fun, And you do get results more quickley, but you would be less able to customize the game, thats why i profer DBPro as you have more possabilities, although it is more work with DBPro.

The main benefit of FPSCreator is Instant Results Due to it being a Ready Made Game Engine, This also means you dont need to know anythink about Programming, My 12 Year old Brother can use FPS Creator, But there have been times when he has asked me how to add certain features, Which you can not do in FPSCreator, But can in DBPro

Everyone Be Cool, You, Be Cool.
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2009 22:24 Edited at: 2nd May 2009 22:25
I'd get FPSC for doing most of what you want to do. There is an extensive scripting/gameplay mod that's out called Ply's Mod, an uber-mod called Project Blue UM, and a V115 source mod(with all the official speed increases) integrated with Airmod v5.5 called WizMod, or you can pay for the EFXMod(i advise against it) which makes the games look like X10.

It wouldn't be the easiest game to do in FPSC, but probably not the hardest as you can simply add a scripting command or a feature into the latest official update.

Panzer
Years of Service
User Offline
ok so pretty much, i'm going to start from scratch on this? wow, things are gonna be weird and hard. anyone recommend a place that has some free humanoid mods?

i was thinking about trying to make my own db pro terrain editor. just one capable of opening and exporting .x models; anyone know if there are some import/export scripts for .x files available? i don't think i'm skilled enough to make one. but, i'd like to have ground to walk on.

until then, i have 3d world studio to make a temporary environment. and sparky's collision. i think it's somewhere here...
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2009 19:47
I really like ExtendedTerrainXYZ. It can be found in the Program Announcements forum. It's a great terrain editor with lots of nice texturing features, and works perfectly with Sparky's collision.

pc nerd
User Banned
Posted: 4th May 2009 01:47
fpsc is really all to me a good map editor. all i will ever do with it is make maps for dark basic pro.

dweeb
Veron
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "fpsc is really all to me a good map editor. all i will ever do with it is make maps for dark basic pro."

Ditto that, I have no experience in indoor level design (only outdoor), and as soon as I found out that FPSC exported levels to a .DBO, I snapped it up.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 06:15:52
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 06:15:52