Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Which type? RTS or RPG?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2009 23:40 Edited at: 1st May 2009 06:02
I am now using this thread to show my progress in an RPG.

My Current 'TO DO' List:
Make a Map.
Load a character to it.
Set up collision with Sparky's.
Detect slope of a hill, disabling player to travel up if to steep.
Jump.
Portal from one map to another.

.rar attached.

Testing new sig.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Panzer
Years of Service
User Offline
RTS might be easier; lots of collisions involved, but it depends on which one you want to finish first.
Not_Maindric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2009 01:41
I was thinking RTS. It looks more entertaining to make. I will get on that. My least favorite part that I think I will encounter is Maps, but I will deal with it. (And plus, I already have a few 3D models I made for RTS games, buildings and such.)

(From AndrewT)
Zaibatsu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2009 02:23
Both RTS and RPG are probably more advanced than a first project should be. I'd recommend starting off with a simple platform game and making more complex things as you go. You're welcome to try for a RPG or RTS if you want of course, but both have a lot of features you need to add.

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2009 03:22
Quote: "Both RTS and RPG are probably more advanced than a first project should be."

Agreed.

But if I had to choose, I would pick an RPG, simply because those can be broken down easily. You don't have to have quests, maybe the objective is to kill all of the enemies and reach the end of each level. With an RTS you would have to keep track of mouse selection, several units, what you can and can't see on the map, build times, etc. I just think an RPG would be simpler and that you might understand it more easily. I've started a few RPGs, but have yet to start an RTS!

Your signature has been erased by a mod - Please reduce it to 600x120 maximum size
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2009 18:48
I'd say pong, but if you're insistent then I suggest RTS (but my opinion might be biased).

[url="http://dbcc.zimnox.com"][/url]
Not_Maindric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2009 23:29
Quote: "I'd recommend starting off"

I have already made a few games, none complex, but I have. I am not a new member to the forum or DBPro, but I am not pro by any means. I just want a project to learn the concepts I have not done yet.

Quote: "I'd say pong"

Done that already, but I lost the code.. It was when I was at my dad's when I was using a comp with no internet. That comp has fried sense then, so not retrieving it.

Hm.. This may have changed my choice... I have decided. I will make a real time RPG with a custom-ish battle system (I already planned it out.).

I am going to start with a kirby like character wielding a sword killing creatures. First objective: Map a map with portals.

(From AndrewT)
Not_Maindric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2009 03:53 Edited at: 2nd May 2009 00:04
Please disregard this post. I will make a new thread for this in the DBPro section, more feedback there.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 06:28:28
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 06:28:28