Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / realistic physics?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
how can you get realistic game physics without using DarkPhysics, as i am trying to make destructible enviroments such as a brick wall which breaks apart realistically, brick by brick, when hit by an explosion? (due to newb status,i cant reply for a while)
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2009 18:55
you'll have to look collision response and different physics equations.

This should give you some idea of what's involved.
http://www.euclideanspace.com/physics/dynamics/collision/index.htm

[url="http://dbcc.zimnox.com"][/url]
MSon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2009 15:22 Edited at: 1st May 2009 15:26
I've always used Newton Physics Dll, (See Link Below), as its FREE, and it comes with many demos projects, Allong with Help Docs for the Commands, This would automatically add Physics to your game to allow a Breakable Wall, I know because i made a Breakable Building once with this.

http://walaber.com/index.php?action=showitem&id=10

Everyone Be Cool, You, Be Cool.
Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2009 21:47
The best way to make your own would be to make lots of different types for different objects which stores info about how they break (or disintegrate or snap etc), their mass, energy, etc anything you need to make a realistic object that follows the laws of physics. Then its up to you to use that info, and various physics equations to model what you want.

Or take the easy route and use a dll that someones made for you

MoomanFL
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2009 01:49 Edited at: 2nd May 2009 01:50
@SpartanR93

The problem with a breakable wall in the sense you are asking about would be the number of polygons.

Typical walls are made with hundreds, if not thousands, of bricks. A normal FPS level with buildings constructed like this run in the single digit frame rate range if they didn't just crash.

Design documents?!? What design documents??? I thought we were just going to wing it!!!
jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2009 09:22 Edited at: 2nd May 2009 09:23
Quote: "The problem with a breakable wall in the sense you are asking about would be the number of polygons.

Typical walls are made with hundreds, if not thousands, of bricks. A normal FPS level with buildings constructed like this run in the single digit frame rate range if they didn't just crash."

if done correctly, this wouldn't be an issue. bricks can be scaled up so that polygon count is irrelevant. excluding bricks that cannot be seen would help too.

the real issue here is computing power. when you say "realistic physics" we have to ask "how far do you want to go?" With games, physics is far from realistic and often has bugs. in games, the goal is to make it LOOK realistic and that is all that matters.

if you haven't taken a physics class then i HIGHLY suggest you take one, or this project will be near impossible for you... unless of course all you are looking for is gravity, basic collision, ect.... then this is doable.

so, if u want complete control over your physics engine and fast collision detection, get sparky's collision plugin. this will handle all of your collision. adding gravity and energy/momentum transfer is relatively easy to do once u get it setup.

if sparky's is over your head, then you might want to check out particles. 3d particles can be used so that once an object is destroyed, it "becomes" a shower of particle objects that fall to the ground and then fade away. no where near realistic, but quite easy to do.

Xsnip3rX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2009 09:49
Go outside with a video camera, and break a brick wall, and video tape it, then upload that to your pc then save it as an avi file, then play it on your brick wall texture

pc nerd
User Banned
Posted: 4th May 2009 01:45
the very best way is to make a model of a brick wall in 3ds max or milkshape, then make it have an animation.like give it a animation to where it blows up.

dweeb
Encrypto Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2009 03:17
i dont know if this will help but in havoc physics there is a demo exactly on this. you could maybe start there.

Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
DEFINITELY Newton physics!

It's free, theres no driver to install, and it's an incredibly powerful physics simulator. The only downside is that you have to put a copy of the DLL in the same directory as your .exe

If it doesn't sound good to you, just do a quick search on youtube or the forums for newton physics - you'll find some impressive stuff.
Slayer93
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 03:53
The next free option you have is to try ODE (however the wrapper is incomplete) which is easy to use and fast.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 06:26:29
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 06:26:29