Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / I may return?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
At the moment I use Blitzbasic 3d but was interested in the extra features that DBpro offers (eg. bumpmapping,vertex shaders to name a few)

I used Dbasic several years ago but defected to Blitz3d for its speed advantages.

questions:-

Does dbpro run at similar speeds to BB3d running similar pieces of code?

honestly - what advantages AND disadvantages will I get using DBpro
over BB3d?

Cheers

Gingerprince
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2003 02:11 Edited at: 13th Aug 2003 02:12
Go get a riot shield because THEY are coming.

Keep this clean or it will be deleted quicker than you can say Dark Basic.

RPGamer

Current Project: Eternal Destiny
Porting all files to my new computer
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2003 16:39 Edited at: 13th Aug 2003 16:47
from what I understand from the less "combustable" posters they have similar speeds (faster on some things, slower on others), but Blitz is only DX7(or so I understand) and Pro is now DX9, so you get the extended commands and capability of 9 that would be difficult to get in Blitz, Blitz was traditionaly more low level than DB but with Pro we can now add our own commands and we have instructions for low level vector math and shader use, unfortunatley Pro was released early in my opinion and got a lot of flack for instability and bugs, but Lee is tearing through the flaws like a thing possesed (see the bugs forum) and by the time you got a copy of Pro, Update5 would be out after just undergoing a massive public beta test, so it should be the most stable incarnation yet , there doesn`t seem to be much going on with Blitz at the moment, Guildhall seem to have dropped it for something called Powerbasic if what I hear is right, so you have to buy it direct from Mark, Mark Sibly has retreated to a server that seems to be members only, I don`t know what they are doing so I am unable to say what direction Blitz will take (if any) with any certainty, Pro is still growing with more commands and capability being planned for U6, by this Autumn Pro will be a year old and looking like it may well grow into a seriously Profesional language, if they tweak for more speed and get the final annoyances removed you will be able to make commercial software in it for sure, just a matter of user ability, Guildhall went to a lot of trouble to promote Blitz with the "cool dog" label (or whatever it was), maybe DB could do the same for Pro users (hint hint), my opinion is that Pro is the new kid and should grow into a powerful language, while Blitz is also powerful but showing its age and they seem to have lost interest in developing it from what I understand (they are working on some high power 2d "serious" basic from what I hear), they also take two different approaches, Blitz was low level with few commands, Pro is higher level and you have to find the command you want for the task, this can be a problem sometimes, I still have to check the help from time to time to see if there is a command for what I want to do since the sheer volume of commands can get a bit confuseing, but on the whole I like the verbose syntax since it makes reading code fairly easy, cheers.

Mentor.

gingerprince
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for that Mentor!

Appart from the dozen or so demos on the DB website can you point me in the direction of some user demos (other than the retro games) so
I can get a feel of what its all about.

cheers

GP

Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2003 00:00
there are a few about but apart from the demo in the downloads section and the one pinned at the top of the Pro forum I don`t know where any are offhand, I would offer to make one "in the style of" but my artistic skills are rather less than zero , I could do the effects, but it would look...er...rather poor , there are a lot of people working on things (as am I) but nothing releasable yet (apart from "the magic land"), there was an explodeing object demo that was cool but I can`t recall where it was I saw it or even if it was in Pro or classic, sorry.

Mentor.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 19:36:52
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 19:36:52