Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / PIC Controllers

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2003 19:21
So anyone know anything about PICs?

I would like to program a PIC to control a 'Robot'. The controlling will involve turing electric switches on and off to control 2 motors. To start with i will have LEDs in place of the motors to make life simpler.

My dad is a micro electrician, and i could ask him, but i would rather learn on my own. Also by asking him, he will most probably be more than helpfull in making the project.

Basically what i want to know is how to chose a PIC. How to program a PIC and what languages it uses. I am 'good' with BASIC languages, and can get my head around C, but i have never done Assembler before.

Thanks,

- MP
Web Design Starting from $200. Special limited offer. MSN or Email me for more information.
adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2003 19:28
Get yourself a PIC programmer. These became incredibly popular around the ITV/OnDigital era - can't think why. I can't remember how it all works exactly, but you use the programmer, along with it's programming interface to store stuff to the card. You might use something like PIC Basic ...

http://www.adteknik.se/english/index.html

I opened the case to my PC today and thought, my exhaust fan sucks.
Cash Curtis III
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2003 19:30
wats a PIC?
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2003 19:31
Me not got £50, but i am just interested in the chip, i can get a programmer from my dad (He does have his uses )

Web Design Starting from $200. Special limited offer. MSN or Email me for more information.
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2003 23:15 Edited at: 13th Aug 2003 23:19
The PIC isn't that easy to use. If you're a beginner, I suggest you try the BASIC STAMP II, available in a Radio Shack with manuals and stuff. PIC's have there own script language. I took a look at those a long while back and most people think they're not so good. The BASIC stamp alone is cheaper than the pic (i think) and is easier to find.

I need an animator!!! HELP ME!!
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2003 23:47
The cheapest i can find a BASIC stamp (From the manufacuter) is $50 with PICs @ $10. I dont really care about the programmer board, but there are PIC programmers for $30 less if i cut out some of the 'features'.

PICs mainly use assembler i think, but i have seen PICBasic, which is a BASIC language for PICs.

The thing with PICs is the space for the program, 7168 bytes is not a lot!

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2003 23:48
What is a PIC???

---Mattman
DID YOU KNOW THAT ???
Quote: "Life Is Short" That's a bummer
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2003 00:58
A PIC is a little chip on a board that you can program in your PC to control simple robots, and other stuff.
@Martyn Pittuck, sorry, I must of mixed up my prices

andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2003 02:08 Edited at: 14th Aug 2003 02:15
I'm went to a computer camp this summer, where I programmed a Basic Stamp II Robot. If you are going to go with BASIC stamp, go with BS2, for some extra money. It was real easy to program (BASIC), and every thing works with pins so you just plug an LED or whatever component and tell it to output/input on that pin. I got a whole kit with a experiment board, servos, and everything.

You might want to just get the chip for more flexability, if you know how to solder, and aren't worried about breaking your chip. Check out http://www.parallax.com/.

"All programmers are playwrites and all computers are lousy actors" -Anon
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2003 12:08
I not got the money Main problem is that i cannot affor a chip and a programmer. $50 each minimum, i mean the programmer goes from $50 upwards.

I have also gotta pay for the etching stuff at the end, and the components. and possibly some more breadboard.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2003 17:03
Yeah you can use basic with the BASIC stamp and you use C with most standard PICs.

You can look up PIC kits and stuff on this site:
www.maplin.co.uk

You didn’t kick them, you just pushed them with your foot at a very high velocity!
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2003 18:32
Ok thanks... Looks like i am going to my dad for help

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2003 18:37
Use BasicX instead of Basic Stamp II. It's the same price ($50) but faster and you don't need to buy the development kit 'cause you can download the software and the help files describe how to setup your own dev board.
http://www.basicx.com

I awoke in a fever. The bedclothes were all soaked in sweat.
She said "You've been having a nightmare and it's not over yet"
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2003 19:19
Well in the end i went for PICAXE, which is pretty cheap.

Chip, Programmer components and a motor controller for £15

Kanzure
Years of Service
User Offline
What da heck? Just go with a microcontroller. Right now I'm using the Motorola 68HC908QT4, with about 4kb flash memory

TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2003 04:13
The best way to control a project (for me):
connect a remote control to your PC's serial port and program it with whatever language you want. That way, you'd be able to make robots that have much better 'brains'. That's what I'm trying to learn to do.

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2003 04:24 Edited at: 18th Aug 2003 04:24
Quote: "I'm went to a computer camp this summer"
What's it's name and where is it?

Does it matter if i have a sig???
andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2003 04:37 Edited at: 18th Aug 2003 04:37
Cybercamps and anywhere they go. They go to different places around the US.

It's great. They do stuff like 3D animation, Web design, C++, multimedia fusion, photoshop, BASIC Robots, they even do DarkBasic Classic. We also get to play starcraft and half-life when we do our work.

You sign up in weeks, each week is a different topic. Check out http://www.giantcampus.com/. You would love it.

"All programmers are playwrites and all computers are lousy actors" -Anon
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2003 04:42
Thank You!!! I'll talk to my parent's about it!!!

Does it matter if i have a sig???

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 08:38:42
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 08:38:42