Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / A weird prize from the UK.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2003 19:58
A while ago I went to chaptors (a book store) and browsed thourgh a UK game magazine when this strange coupen fell out. Some thing called "lucky stars". Inside it says "five star prize winner" and then a prize code, then below it says carfully follow the instructions, followed by the instructions. It says i won either a

cd/md stereo system
The top 100 cd albums
500 to spend in JJB
monster mob goodle
motirized scooter
Plasma TV & dvd player
Xbox with 10 games of ur choice

It says u have to live in the uk to get it. Is this another sort of scam? Or does someone else from the uk (i know lots of ppl here are) know what this is?

thanks
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2003 20:14
lol, you are lucky to get one

You usually get 2 or 3.

Basically if you read the very small print it says as well as thousands of pens, note pads etc. They pay for the prizes though £1.50 a minute telephone numbers which require like 5 to 10 mins before you get to talk to the automated system.

Web Design Starting from $200. Special limited offer. MSN or Email me for more information.
Cash Curtis III
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2003 20:21
i knew it was a scam! Still is it worth anything though? cause i sure as hell dont want this thing.
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2003 20:29
Virtually every mag I buy has a scratch card of some variety. You are ALWAYS awarded the top prize and as far as I know, you always get the holiday prize which are probably just a bunch of useless vouchers.

The programmer formerly known as sonic
Cash Curtis III
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2003 21:16
oh well in the recycling bin it goes then. Hmm maybe wait, i could sell it to some poor sucker at scool! Yea! wohoo it has a use after all.
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2003 21:19
only if you want to be one of those people who makes a fast buck now and two years from now is bankrupt cos nobody trusts or will deal with him .

Mentor.

Cash Curtis III
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2003 21:29
hmmm sounds like a plan!
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2003 22:05
No, not a scam. Almost there though.

There is always a "dud" prize - in this case it will be the 500 to spend in JJB. It'll be some vouchers which only allow you to get money off if you spend loads already.

Claim if you have the spare £5 it'll cost to ring the number

You are the th person to view this signature.
GRAVITY: I fought the law but the law won
Cash Curtis III
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2003 23:09
bah i aint ringing any number, i dont live in the UK and then if i was too call i would end up paying even more for long-distance
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2003 01:07
It could even be an all out scam. Just a phone number no prizes. When they get found out they just disapear and start up a new company with a different name. A lot of people will either forget or can't be bothered to do anything about it when the prize doesn't turn up.
Cash Curtis III
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2003 16:31
i see
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2003 18:04
I hate that, you can't just win a prize anymore, you gotta pay for it with a phonecall. Even the competitions you get on chocolate bars need you to call the number or text a number with you 30 digit code to see if you've won. The best competition ever was about 12 years ago. McDonalds had scratchcards, and every card was a winner, you just had to get the question right - and you could walk in and ask for a scratch card. Once you knew all the answers you could go in and get a free scoff anytime you wanted.

Van-B

My cats breath smells of cat food.
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2003 01:47
Nah, they are normally proper companies. Same ones have been around for years, and in well known mags. Would have been shutdown if total scam. Am sure that *somebody* at *sometime* wins a decent prize. And they would have to be bothered to actually phone too.

Heh, I phoned once about 15 years ago. Basically some really really slow talking bloke goes through the whole list of prizes until you get yours, which is a pen or something naff. Then you can't be bothered to claim it (invloves going somewhere or buying something expensive). And the call cost you like £20 or so. F**kers.....

IS a scam, just on the edge of legal unfortuantly. Saying that, a friend of mine called their bluff and got a couple of ferry tickets to France. He was going anyhows, and saved a few quid. Had to avoid a load of pressure selling about timeshares mind...

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2003 06:13
We had a bad telephone scam here a while back, People would ask delivery drivers to make a quick $50 for using the phone at the places they deliver the packages. The calls they made were subject to $250 a minute.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 08:37:16
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 08:37:16