Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / Realistic textures?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2009 02:29
When people texture they're models, how do they make the textures look realistic?

Is it all done in photoshop or do they use a photo or something?
z i l c h vortex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2009 02:35
They can use both. Some people make them others just take photos.

life is short but so am i
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2009 10:56
It depends on how good you are at texturing.

All texture artists use photo's, but how much of those photo's end up in the actual finished texture depends on the artist. If you can't draw original detail and make good base textures then it's usually best to use photo's primarily. The weapons in half life I think are a good example, lots of textured detail but the textures will probably contain no photo elements.

One other factor though is how good your photo references are. If you are missing details that you need to texture then your stuck with drawing anyway, and it is very difficult to add decent detail onto photo quality textures.

I would suggest texturing with photographs first, then if you have the skill, redo the texture using a base metal texture and details - I think that's the best way to get nice looking and realistic guns.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
Clbembry
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2009 14:46
Ok, thanks Van.
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2009 00:44
Typically I draw most of the texture, then I overlay each part of the texture with a photo that corresponds to it; i.e. if I'm making an AK47, I'll block out all the color and draw in any text, bolts, etc., then once I'm done with that I take a wood photo and overlay it onto the wood parts, a steel photo to overlay onto metal parts, etc. and it usually looks pretty good.

i like orange
Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2009 22:23
I do it all by hand, photo overlays are used every now and then but for me doing it by hand is just more fun and really gives you a good exercise whilst texturing.

Alucard94, the member of the future of the past.
feiting shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
perfection is something only computers can do.

Imperfection is something real. (though that's meant in art context)

In other words, you scribbling random colors down will probably look more like a real wall than a computer-generated noise pattern.

I suggest learning to draw if you don't know already, it removes the fears of doing artwork, and teaches a ton of other useful things.

Signed
------
Clbembry
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2009 01:59
I think I'm understanding a little bit better now.
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2009 04:15 Edited at: 17th Jun 2009 18:19
Also its important to realize that using photos in your textures is not wrong. In fact its quite possible to make great textures using nothing but slightly modified photos. The problem is that most noobs take something like a photo of a car, slap it an a box and call it a model. This results in a model of very low quality. Here are the steps I use when preparing a texture from a photo:

1. I always start with as high a resolution photo I can. This way I have the opportunity to do a lot of cropping and still end up with a high-res texture.

2. First I rotate the photo so that it's lined up correctly and isn't crooked. This is especially important when you have textures like bricks that have a lot of horizontal and vertical lines. I also remove any lens distortion or correct any perspective.

3. Then I remove any lighting that's apparent in the photo. Any shadows, glares, or evidence of camera flash.

4. If the photo is of something like rocks or wallpaper that needs to be tiled, I make it seamless.

5. If the photo is lacking contrast, isn't saturated enough, etc. I edit that to my liking.

6. If the photo is missing colors I want in it or has colors in it that I don't want I remove them/add them.

7. At this point the texture no longer looks much like a photo, and I do some final touch-ups; I sharpen it a bit, apply any subtle filters that I think are fitting, and then I'm done.

If you do something along the lines of those steps you should end up with a fairly good texture. Obviously you shouldn't just slap this on a model. It needs to be edited depending on how it will be used. Sometimes you'll need to edit the shading on it, sometimes you'll need to warp it a little, etc.

Hope that helps.

i like orange
Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
It isn't so hard to do denim from scratch in GIMP

1)Use the Blinds Script from the distort section in Filters
2)Rotate 45 degrees
3)Add noise
4)Blur

n008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2009 16:20
Photographs, or images generated in a Digital nature program like VUE 7 using perlin fractals and whatnot.

"I have faith, that I shall win the race, even though I have no legs, and am tied to a tree." ~Mark75
SJH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2009 21:58 Edited at: 28th Jul 2009 22:14
Quote: "Typically I draw most of the texture, then I overlay each part of the texture with a photo that corresponds to it"
Yeah, Its a nice and simple method. Whenever I think of a sharp example of texture overlays, I think of making clothing for a character in a game. Think of it as a realistic soldier holding a gun, and for realism, you overlay a fabric texture you find free on the internet over the clothes the soldier is wearing, making the texture more realistic. At least that's what I would do until I completely mastered texturing, and even then I might continue texture overlays; they just add that final touch to a texture. In order: My failed attempt of making the texture, the fabric texture I found, and then the overlayed image.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 21:33:03
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 21:33:03