Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / My ultimate FPSC entry

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2009 23:19 Edited at: 9th Jun 2009 23:27
@Coach Shogun 20: Yeah, but I'm fairly certain that he doesn't have their (Frictional Games) personal permission.

I've already wrote an email to their support a few weeks ago, and here's what they answered:

Quote: "Hi Tim,

I'm fairly certain that is not accurate. I can't recall we have ever released anything to the "modding and modeling community". Of course it's OK for users to take Penumbra content and use it for Penumbra mods/tweaks etc.

Kind regards,
Jens"

From my understanding it's ok to use the media within Penumbra Modifications, but not in you're own game, using a different Engine.

However, I'm not an judge, host or whatever of the contest... so I'll leave this topic regardigen the media alone.

Sorry for the, sort of, Offtopic beachard5.

And keep up this game, as it has potencial.

creator of zombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2009 23:23
Having not played Penumbra that much myself, I wouldnt know what textures have been taken in the above shot etc, but Im impressed that you bothered to write a letter to the support dept of Frictional games

CoZ

-Demon Sun: Lead Developer-
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2009 23:30 Edited at: 9th Jun 2009 23:31
Quote: "Having not played Penumbra that much myself, I wouldnt know what textures have been taken in the above shot etc, but Im impressed that you bothered to write a letter to the support dept of Frictional games"

I second that, and i would add that most of their textures base on some stuff from CGT anyway.

And Doomster is right. Its only for Penumbra Mods. (haven`t seen any till now)

So... looks like you have to do it yourself.

creator of zombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2009 23:33 Edited at: 9th Jun 2009 23:34
Quote: " Having not played Penumbra that much myself"

Actually..tell a lie, I played Penumbra to a point, and then the tension got to me, because playing such a game at 1am, in a empty house, in the dark Is not a nice experience, even for a hardened horror player such as me (I like to think so)

CoZ

beachard5
Years of Service
User Offline
Lol i was waiting for someone to say somthing about penumbra.(love that game) and yes they are from penumbra but have made changes to the texture and you have to see that these textures are fairly commen in horror games in some way.(not saything the sameones but of the same style if you get my point)

Im not saying its okay for my to use these textures even though i have made changes but its not like the whole game is Penumbras textures only in 3 to 4 rooms. I will try to change them.

but does the game look good so far?

beachard5
Years of Service
User Offline
okay i know i havent updated in a while

but i have an update there will be NO weapons in this game there will be enemys that you will have to hide from and sneak around them and i you do get seen you will have to run away and find somewhere to hide out of the line of sight of the enemy. this will add another level of horror i think to the game.

There will also be puzzles in this game.

other updates
i have removed the penumbra textures out of the game so no more penumbra segments or anything in this game anymore.

expect more pictures soon

Coach Shogun 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 01:31
interesting, that sounds hard to implement though.

beachard5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 08:27 Edited at: 29th Jun 2009 08:32
yes i know i already have the script for the enemys i probaly need to tweak somethings so they dont see you though walls and stuff but its working nice so far.

heres some picture i have already shown them i just wanted to show you that i have gotten rid of the penumbra texutres

Thanks Wolf for the segments there very nice.

@GOH sorry about using the Penumbra texutres i hope this doesnt effect anyone with not looking and commenting about the game.

expect brand new screen shots of the 2nd level very soon just making some changes

Doomster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 09:09 Edited at: 29th Jun 2009 09:10
Quote: "sorry about using the Penumbra texutres i hope this doesnt effect anyone with not looking and commenting about the game"

You've admitted that they're from the game and replaced them, so there's nothing wrong with it.

The new/redone scenarios are definitely looking nice, Wolf's segments fit in nicely and the "Stealth elements" sound interesting, if they're well implemented it could be fun!

Good luck!

beachard5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2009 05:08 Edited at: 1st Jul 2009 17:56
alright here we go i have made alot of changes have changed my hole lighting style of these lvls I hope you like it just as much as I did. I will show you the changes and then ill give you some new screens these changes are thoughout the whole lvl.
(some of the lights are low ranges others are higher range.)

New ones

it might be a bit dark for you guys in the screens its a bit lighter in game and remember you are deep in an abandonded area and they couldn't get all the lights on in full power. So that is why its dark.

tell me what you guys think of the changes and the new pictures.

C&C please

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2009 17:28
Weeeee

I like to see my textures in good use!

Very nice athmosphere

Coach Shogun 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2009 21:51
Great job bearchard.

ETCG
Years of Service
User Offline
IMO, I think games with dark places are mostly good for stealth games where you can see in the dark. Darkenss is supposed to conceal you, so you can do the dirty work on zombies you always wanted to do (backstab!).

Anyway... The game looks pretty good. Nothing to fancy, just put 'em in the right spot. I remember reading a tip that said you should make the color bright like white, but a little dark. Because honestley, have you ever seen a light pure white? Usually a hint of yellow in there. Not much so it's not pure yellow, but a little realer. Also put the lights around so in every view you can at least see a little light. That's my opinion there, but I don't think it should make you think you're blind.

You don't have to use my advice, especially since I'm not that good at making games, I'm just giving some gamer feedback.
beachard5
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks for the feedback. Wolf glad you like it the textures/segments really made this game look a lot better.

@ETCG thats what im doing no lights are pure anything i played around with the sliders for the colors to get them look not to yellow and not to white. I think it looks good really hoping other people like it too.

hope to see some more feedback. Expect more pictures soon working on the lower floor of the abandonded building now.

I have also got Gamer X to try out the script for the sneaking in the game so Hope that works out and thanks Gamer X for helping.

shadowfire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2009 23:08
looks cool!

ETCG
Years of Service
User Offline
Awsome!
I have been waiting for the forums to show some life in the stealth genre. Not trying to sound rude, but it just seems retarded that everyones working so hard on a cool zombie game to make it a full blast shoot out. Guns blazing and running as fast as possible to kill as much as you can. If you're outnumbered, you'd most likely use stealth, at least in the start. Escape from Butcher Bay for the old Xbox did a good job at that. Stealth at first, then you slowly earn your weapons and have an opition of doing a stealth then assault thing. If you can I suggest you do that idea because in fighting games, it's nice to have a mix in the fighting style, not just full assault or stealth.
beachard5
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah i might i mean he is a CSI agent so i might have you start out with a gun with little ammo. Then you can find melee weapons like in condemned. I dont know though because i really want people to stealth than just run though the level killing everyone. So I dont know im going to have to think about that.

ETCG
Years of Service
User Offline
The reason there is stealth is for a surpsrise attack. If nobody notices the attack or doesn't spot you, you're ok. But if someone catches you, you should probably warm up the guns. If you can make the AI kinda easy in the beginning, then you can slowly earn your weapons. But I guess starting with some backup ammo is a good idea.

The fact that you're making it stealth in itself is awsome though, if it works. Good Luck with it!
beachard5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2009 04:09 Edited at: 4th Jul 2009 04:10
alright everybody here is the Stealth script in action thank you Gamer X for the work on this script. (this is just a demenstration of the script so this is just a demo map)

Stealth script video here

hope you guys are liking what you are seeing it is really amazing in action when your playing it works great. I have yet to try it in my game. I will have another video up of it working in my map area later on.

hope you guys like it

comments welcome,

check out the new screens to if you havent already would love some feedback on them.

Gamer X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2009 17:39
You are welcome

This script setup actually gives a nice stealth attribute to games. I hope to give out the script as soon as bugs are worked out. This in the end will be released in the AI Upgrade Thread.

beachard5, the game looks great and, I can't wait to play it. I will be watching this thread from behind the scenes.

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
The last screens do atract me. The ambience and lights are good mate.
I like it.
Keep this up. Looking forward to more screens.

This is a tip that I sometimes like to use:

See attached screenie.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
creator of zombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2009 16:04
@Red Eye: Good tip, although you like many others are using to many light fixtures on the walls. In reality, 2 lights + the natural ambient light or 1 large light from a lamp would illuminate the whole room. For example, If you walked into a bedroom, you would have a hanging lamp as the main source of light, along with maybe the ambient light from some windows; thus lighting the whole room. You wouldn't have a light fixture every 10 feet accounting for every ounce of light...you'll be suprised how far light spreads (In straight lines of course). Remember..Less is more

CoZ

beachard5
Years of Service
User Offline
hmm... I kinda get what you guys are saying thanks for the advice

@red eye
so your saying that you want me to blend lights? you want me to put a white/grey light above a yellow light. do you mean a white/grey source or a white/grey light?

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2009 23:26 Edited at: 5th Jul 2009 23:29
I mean a light grey light (no entity). As it would blend better with the yellow and white light. It would more like it goes over into this:
- White-Grey-Yellow

Because now you have:
- White-Yellow

@Coz: I dont think you folowed what i said, as i didnt said to add more light ENTITYS, i just said to let it blend so it looks more natural, you probably know this trick.
Well let me look into my bethoroom. I see a couple that illumninates a part of the room, a couple little ones, that just illuminates small parts, another ones that iluuminates a quite big part of the room. It is all about the strength and the power off the light, and ofcourse the lightambience does affect the range.
In your point a view, you jsut have to have 1 or 2 lights in a room, I dont think that is really the way. You probably have seen the screenshot of 1507, that screen is similiar to a reference image of a old hotel hall. The quantity of those light and lamps are the same as in the reference image, so is the range of the lights. So it could be me, but i dont think one big light is good enough to add the right ambience to a room. But everyone has his own opinion.

Again at Beachard: So indeed put another light (greywitha little tone of yellow) above the yellow light. It would blend better with each other, as your LightEntity is pure white and the light itself is yellow, so blending with another light would make it very cool (thou it is very nice already ), if you get a nice range and nice color.
I would like a Screen soon.

L8r mates,

Red Eye

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 07:47:58
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 07:47:58