Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / New Tutorial: Flying ship with Thrusters, work in progress.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2009 23:05
Well, this is my next installment, I would say I'm about 20% finished with what I want to accomplish with this tutorial. I just wanted to upload it here, in it's own thread at the advice of Batvink from the Are you doing anything good with DarkGDK? Thread.

This is the first tutorial i've ever written, and I tried to put some humor into the scheme. Please let me know any critical judgments you might have, what is on your mind...as well as any commendation, what works well, what shines...?? if there is anything.

I am having a better time doing this, as I feel I am accomplishing something with programming and teaching, my two hobbies that I am passionate about.

Also, anything you might want to add to the tutorial, would be even better!

let me know all, thanks,

jeff cummings

Attachments

Login to view attachments
stevebrit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2009 23:24
Very nice indeed thats what we need more of on here ,people who are willing to take time and put stuff out for others to learn from and enjoy SO thank you.

I have put some demo code on here also today, to help folks take tiles off images and use them as sprites. Also in that code are a few useful functions that i wrote. I also madeup a tileset for folks to use.

You can find the code in the My Tile Game Issues thread in this forum

Keep up the good work there OceanJeff, and thanks again

I see you are in the USA also, i am in Northern Florida

Regards :- Steve

AMD Athlon64x2 3.1Ghz - Ram 4Gb DDR2 800Mhz - 500Gb HD
Ndivia 9600GT SLI - 24in LCD - WIN 7 - 64 bit BETA
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2009 12:19 Edited at: 14th May 2009 12:20
I agree, very good initiative

Hey your 2d graphics tutorial has inmediately reminded me about 'Space Wars' a classic two player space-fight game:

Here is a full description
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Wars

This tutorial is a good start for it

Attachments

OceanJeff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2009 00:01
Crazy stuff...I was trying to clone the starport ge: galactic empires...shhhhh! LOL

Later all,

jeff
Scottie Dog
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice enough little movement demo...

One thing i notice you could use is - inside ship_rotation you do out of bounds checks to keep your rotation in the 0 to 360range.

instead of 2checks you could just use...
OceanJeff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2009 10:24
Very good idea, thanks! Scottie Dog.

I don't think I've ever used that function...

later,

jeff c

OceanJeff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2009 10:36
Also, Batvink, if you or any of the gamecreators team, decide that you want to include this tutorial in the dark gdk package. Feel free to use it! You don't need to compensate me in anyway, with the exception that you give me credit please! So that I can add this project to my resume! (Of course, I'll probably do that already...LOL).

I post this because I earlier was asking about a free copy of that cool DVD with all the Dark stuff on it! That was just a request and is by no means necessary. Thanks.

later,

jeff
OceanJeff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2009 22:59
Here is a particles demo I made, to show that small sprites are very handy particles...I will be uploading a few more additions to my ship tutorial soon.

Later all,

jeff c

Attachments

OceanJeff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2009 01:26
Ok.

Attachments

OceanJeff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2009 01:27
Awesome! Ok, the last update (the msg with ok in it...) was the use of the CTRL key to add a fire line that shoots out from the ship in any direction that it is pointing. 360 degrees. check it out.

more to come soon,

jeff c
OceanJeff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2009 02:26
This update to the ship tutorial adds an adjustable radar screen, and updates the ship's movement routine. Check it out!!!

later all,

jeff c

Attachments

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2009 03:58
Pretty cool ^^. I was instantly attracted considering my current project, Eres :p

How far are you planning on taking this? I would recommend having separate files for the planet and ship objects to make it better structured, as well as more descriptive variable names. Otherwise it will get very confusing as it grows larger.

OceanJeff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2009 09:22
Just downloaded and ran your project, and it's totally cool. I will be exploring PROJECT ERES more in the coming days...

Very nice job! I especially love the planet graphics, and the realistic thrusters on the craft.

Thanks for sharing,

Jeff C
puppyofkosh
Years of Service
User Offline
Downloading, I look forward to reading this!
OceanJeff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2009 02:12
Ok, so massive update to the tutorial, however, not the tutorial.txt file.

Basically, there are now 100 sectors laid out in a 10 by 10 grid that the ship can explore.

Look for more later, thanks for looking!

Jeff C

Attachments

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2009 02:33
Awesome, I think I found a bug. I went through one of your warps and when I came out, the system was empty, and I couldn't move.

The sector creation is quite cool! It's similar to mine, except rather than a grid I distribute the solar systems randomly across the circumference of a circle with a varying radius.

Out of curiosity, why are you saving the sector data to a file, and then loading it? It seems extraneous..

OceanJeff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2009 03:02
Ok, yeah, I found another bug, but I can't fix it...yet...haha

Um, I set the initial sector to 81 because it's there, I try to warp to sector 91, and then it gets reset to Zero, what sector did you warp from? I'm including a new one with the sector number displayed in the upper left corner, plus the warps all display the sector they warp to!

thanks for following this game, I am having so much fun writing it actually!

And, to answer your question, eventually the planets will be landable! You land and commence any number of operations, I would like it to be like simcity, or like Roller Coaster Tycoon, each planet is it's own eco-system...a game in itself.

And, I want the planet landing portion, to be in 3D, and I already have a good idea how to accomplish this with Dark GDK.

Sorry for writing so much, but I am getting excited after today's development of the file saving, sector travelling...!!! LOL

later,

jeff c

Attachments

OceanJeff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2009 03:05
And by the way, I love your ERES project, it is AWESOME!

I will also change the way the planets are distributed eventually, they will all have a Orbit around the Star...and the Star will move according to real physics, albeit slightly.

I also want Moons for each planet, and a random number of planets in each system...

All for the future!

Cheers,

Jeff C

P.S. Please tell me more about your ERES Project, and of course, when you have updates I would love to be notified...if you get a change.
OceanJeff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2009 03:08
Ok, yeah, I just found a bug if to warp all the way to the right, and take the RIGHT HAND warp, you go to nowhere, the star freaks out on you and zooms past you, and then you can't move anywhere, or...yeah...that's basically it...

Well, I will work on this and then report back in a few...hopefully hours not days...LOL

later,

jeff c
Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2009 00:29
I can't remember the path I took to get to that warp lol.

By the way, you can follow Project Eres here in the WIP forum: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=152470&b=8

[quoteAnd, I want the planet landing portion, to be in 3D, and I already have a good idea how to accomplish this with Dark GDK.][/quote]

Sounds cool!

OceanJeff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2009 23:42 Edited at: 16th Jul 2009 23:44
So I figured out that I was missing this:

dbDeleteSprite() whenever you leave a sector and enter another one, I was just re-cycling the sprites...that's a NO NO.

AND, after it started working, I had to make adjustments to the ship's distance from the warp before warping to the next sector, so that the next time you enter the same sector, the ship is not automatically warped back to where you came from earlier...

Anyways, it works now, and we can press forward to bigger and better things...

Stay tuned!

jeff c

Attachments

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2009 06:52
Thanks OceanJeff, I have to give credit where it is due. Your tutorial and code made it easy to add 3D asteroids movement to my arcade shooter. Sincere thanks.

OceanJeff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2009 02:41
Awesome!

There will be more to come soon, I don't currently have internet at home, so it's whenever i go to the local library with my laptop i can send updates!

Later

jeff c
puppyofkosh
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool! Just wanted to say I used this tutorial for the minimap display in a game I'm working on. Thanks!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-06 07:25:46
Your offset time is: 2024-10-06 07:25:46