Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / How should I use choices in a game?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm currently working on a visual novel. One thing I'm trying to wrap my brain around is the use of choices. I plan on giving players two to five choices in the game (in addition to the location the player can move to) which may or may not have an affect on the characters around him; the choices made will influence the ending you get. I plan on quite a few endings (and as usual, the really bad endings will be the easiest to get).

Oh... and for those of you wondering, this game will be accessible to teens and up so certain scenes won't show up (gotta nip this in the bud before it blows up).

As for the question... should I use a seperate procedure for each location, with a ton of if/then trees checking for certain criteria for events in the game? or should I use a single function and create game events as UDTs, each activated by flags within the game and the choices from within the UDTs displayed?
bobbel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2009 15:55
i would use the select statement. when clikc, find out at which button the mouse is positioned by checking its position. and then use a select to find the right gosub or something

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2009 16:46
@Lonnehart,
I'd suggest you read through a tutorial or two on writing adventure games. In particular, you should read through Pluto's Zork adventure which shows you how to have your rooms held as data and not have them be individually coded.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 06:15:14
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 06:15:14