Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Slapping BMP's togther...avi compression advice needed.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2003 16:43
I'm making a modeling video tutorial and I got more than 400 frames to put together...That,I'm ok.

What I want to know is,in order to facilitate the end-user,I need to know what codecs most people here have installed?

Divx?Xvid or should I go for the awfully big but compatible Cpak?Or something else?

Could you also tell me your favorite/fastest compression rate?

Thanks alot.
If I've seen it all before,why's this bus taking me back again? @_@
Kanzure
Years of Service
User Offline
DivX is one of the more common ones now a days, that may be the better option here..

I say screw AVI and go MPEG MPEGs are so much shorter, they made my 140 meg avi file down to 20 meg, and hell, it was almost as good.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2003 17:17
Yeah, plus it's easy to burn an MPG to a CD and watch on a DVD player. Might sound daft but I'd learn more sitting on my couch with with a hemhem than watching it on my PC . There's lots of free and trial version AVI to MPG converters out there.

Van-B

My cats breath smells of cat food.
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2003 17:24 Edited at: 14th Aug 2003 17:24
That's what I thought when Eoin suggested me mpeg on RGT...

I even almost replied that it wasn't really to burn on a dvd but that's what I'll probably do.

I already got a free mpg software but if anyone has recommendations go ahead,I'm listening.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2003 18:21
Bink! Bink is by far the best. I don't think you have to pay to use their stuff, but if you distribute your bink files excessively you do (aka a game). Bink is still the most used codec in modern games because it's simply the best .

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2003 18:24
yeah i had an older version of RadGametools and it worked fine...Compatible and you can make them as executable as well

Jedi Knight 2 uses an updated version of those I think while the first one(in96) used the smacker ones.

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2003 18:32
Use mpeg. There is a free decent mpeg encoder somewhere. If mpeg can't get good enough quality at the filesize you want then use avi. Almost every computer that can play video will be able to decode mpeg.

If you use avi divx3.11 is fairly common. If you use one of the later divx versions make sure a freeware version is available that doesn't contain spy/adware. The newer microsoft formats may be an option as well wmv or whatever it's called.
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2003 18:37
Why not use .asf (I think) its a microsoft format i think, like wma. Much smaller than MPEG, i have no idea how to make em, but they are very small files.

Web Design Starting from $200. Special limited offer. MSN or Email me for more information.
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2003 18:46 Edited at: 14th Aug 2003 18:46
From what I've seen,a good tool for editing asf is rare.

Even my copy of virtualdub can't load any and gives me a :Asf support was removed in demand of microsoft...And not to talk about the non-grabbable screen which can be annoying.

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2003 19:15 Edited at: 14th Aug 2003 19:16
Wow!

I just found an unrelated but yet very nice free gimp-like software called Cinepaint used in 2 fast 2 furious and Scooby-Doo...Open Source too

http://cinepaint.sourceforge.net/

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2003 20:20
I think microsoft has patents on the asf/wvf formats and will stop you if you create tools for it and don't pay them a lot of cash. The version of virtualdub that kinda works with them (VirtualDub1.3c) is floating around on kazaa etc if you want to try it.
If you don't want people messing with your video it might be an idea but it would just annoy people who want to make vcds if their mpeg encoder can't encode it.
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2003 21:39
I'll make it an mpeg so everyone can watch it...If it's too big,I'll make an smaller avi if I'm able.

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2003 20:44
Now that's weird,I compressed using Cinepak while making a few tests and it turns out 12megs for 7 minutes of full quality...I may go with that unless anyone objects,after all you wouldn't need to install codecs and all.

Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2003 22:44
i like mpeg.

i'm a 56k'er so downloading BIG files is a BIG problem. I think you'd be better off to make two versions, a crap quality one and a good quality one, and let people choose what they have. i like divx, but i understand that not too many people actually have it.

Sticking feathers up your butt doesn't make you a chicken.
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2003 22:50 Edited at: 19th Aug 2003 22:51
It's done,crap(1.5mb) and quality(12.8)

Get it on the showcase.

http://www.darkbasicpro.com/apollo/view.php?t=15359&b=3

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 08:18:37
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 08:18:37