Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / DarkGDK vs DBPro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2009 06:20
Sorry if I put this in the wrong place, but I was wondering if it would be better to just learn DarkGDK instead of learning DBPro first?
ShaunRW
DBPro Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2009 11:24 Edited at: 18th May 2009 11:26
Well If your thinking of a career in programming or you want the power of C++ not basic then learn DGDK. But you will have to do alot more coding. What you could do is learn DBPro then switch to GDK when your ready.

This is a 'Hello World' example from DarkGDK.

Darkbasic pro 'Hello world' example.

As you can see DarkGDK version requires more code.

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2009 14:51
Well, now I don't have DGDK, but judging from what you just posted, that is only really the setup code (the header inclusion and the main function), so yeah, it lengthens a Hello World program by about 3 times from DBPro, but assuming you would write a 100 lines DBPro code, you could probably use the very same frame there and thus end up with only a few rows more in the DGDK version.
I believe that all of the DBPro functions are wrapped up like that, so the actual dbp function usage wouldn't take more room than it does in dbp. Some things are actually easier on the typing part in DGDK, for instance increasing a variable by 1:
DBP: inc myVar
DGDK: myVar++;

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2009 19:20
It's mainly a matter of language preference. If you know C++ already, or any of the many languages similar to it, then DGDK is the logical choice.

If you're just getting started in programming, I would still recommend going with DGDK. The syntax is just as easy, and you'll have faster more efficient programs in the end. Plus you're that much closer to being able to write true Windows applications when you aren't writing games.

xxelixx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2009 03:18
Thanks for the help I think I'll try DGDK.
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2009 03:44
Ya, that's probably a good decision. Do you have any prior programming experience? If you plan on getting serious about programming at any point in the future you're much better off if you just learn C++ right off the bat, IMO.

i like orange
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2009 16:36 Edited at: 20th May 2009 16:37
If you're a complete beginner I'd say at least learn the basics with DBPro first to get a good understanding of how tasks are done. It's already hard enough to make a decent game with something as simple as DBPro, starting off with a lower level language may get you stumped and especially if you're learning uncoached.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 06:15:28
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 06:15:28