Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Decent monitors?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2003 21:16
Hey...

I'm getting really tired of my monitor reflecting the tiniest light source in my room and making it glare over everything on the screen. It's infuriating and makes some games harder to play, along with generally ruining immersion. I've never tried any but the classic type, so, I'm asking, are there any monitor types that don't do this?

Thanks .
--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2003 21:33
Why not move it to a better spot? That said, my flat screen only reflects in the color of dark blue, unless I really got a glair, it's unnoticable.

Teenage Male Geek + Female Remotly Interested in Common Geek Activities = Teenage Male Jackass
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2003 22:07
I have an LG1701 B. Its a 17in flatscreen and doens't have much glare. You can turn up brightness so there's no glare if you want.

You are the th person to view this signature.
GRAVITY: I fought the law but the law won
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2003 04:32
u can get professional glare shields if you want to add it to any monitor. you could make one by bending a sheet of metal into 2 part creating a hood for your monitor.

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2003 04:54
When I used to solder I used to improve the fume extraction useing cardboard and tape. Won't look as nice as a metal one would but you can proberly get hold of cardboard for free. You won't get any glare if you completly surround the monitor and your head
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2003 06:42
Arrow- the way my room is set up, that's really impossible unfortunatly .

David-- no idea if that's a flatscreen, plasma, or tube monitor, but thanks anyhow

indi-- Thanks for the information, I'll look into that. It might be just what I'm looking for.

winch-- sometimes I do feel compelled to just drame a blanked over me and my whole computer system, but I hear it's not good for ventilation

Thankee for the replies all

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2003 19:52
Quote: "David-- no idea if that's a flatscreen, plasma, or tube monitor, but thanks anyhow "

My original post:

Quote: "I have an LG1701 B. Its a 17in flatscreen and doens't have much glare. You can turn up brightness so there's no glare if you want."

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2003 20:28
Ah, missed that part

Thanks.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2003 20:32
Quote: "That said, my flat screen only reflects in the color of dark blue, unless I really got a glair, it's unnoticable."

Teenage Male Geek + Female Remotly Interested in Common Geek Activities = Teenage Male Jackass
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2003 20:50
And the point of that quote is...?

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2003 21:04
I pointed out that flatscreen fact too, but on second thought there was no real point, just something that whizzed through my mind as I was waiting for a flash movie to download.

Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2003 21:04
TFT screens wont reflect anything, but if your games are in all sorts of resolutions, then don't buy one. TFT's are'nt very hot at changing resolution lol. Theyre also expensive.

Sticking feathers up your butt doesn't make you a chicken.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2003 21:13
TFT screens wont reflect anything, but if your games are in all sorts of resolutions, then don't buy one. TFT's are'nt very hot at changing resolution lol. Theyre also expensive.

17in tfts are geting cheaper (UK magazine PC Pro has a review of cheap 17in TFTs this month).

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2003 22:54
The resolution issue will get better as more people start to use them games will be written to either run in the res of the monitor of to have a windowed mode option allowing it to run properly even on odd ratio screens.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 08:29:14
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 08:29:14