Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / BLACKOUT!!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2003 02:00
in Northeast U.S.!!! GL to those there!!!
You are the http://s15.sitemeter.com/meter.asp?site=s15dtsig[/img] person to see me post!!!
Quote: "Life Is Short" That's a bummer
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2003 02:08
???

Whats all this about? I dont have a blackout.

Hell Begins September 2nd at 7:30 AM. Yep, schools starting soon.
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2003 02:10
Made the news here in the UK. Loads of people wandering the streets in New York cos no buses or tubes running. Thousands stuck on trains in tunnels. Traffic lights broken, mobile phones stopped working.

Sounds like fun!

The programmer formerly known as sonic
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2003 02:15
As long as it doesnt reach northeast PA, I'm fine.

Hell Begins September 2nd at 7:30 AM. Yep, schools starting soon.
Kanzure
Years of Service
User Offline
Meh, who cares. It will be fine. This is not worthy of a topic.....

I believe this is the first "Power Outage" thread.

Teeth - 2
Blackout - 1

Who will win? We just don't know.....

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2003 02:52
Michigan is out!!!

You are the person to see me post!!!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2003 02:54
I haven't heard about it here in New Hampshire. Huh...

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2003 03:36
In western PA, we took a whole load of surges and brown-outs just before NYC popped. The telephones squacked unbelievably. Very short (minutes) black-outs, then happy old electricity. Few towns about a county away report longer outages (15 minutes or so).

Apparently the Niagra grid was trying to dump their surge onto our grid, and our grid rejected it. About when NYC popped is when we saw the end of it.

New England's on a different grid, so they didn't see it.

I admire your honesty. Hell, I like you; you can come over to my house and ---- my sister!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2003 04:59
Someone important (don't remember) have stated that lighting struck a powerplant in US and that caused a chain reaction that shut several other powerplants.

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2003 05:04
Not very fun fella's. Had a couple power surges where I'm at.

Website 50% done (May be out by mid-end August)
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2003 05:07
Bummer . I was worried when i heard Ohio...

I hate legel laws. Why can't I own a company?
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2003 07:23
It's not a worth thread that 1/4 of indsutrail America has lost power, including New York, for a significant amount of time? Go edify yourself on the news.

Darken the skies, we are god
http://www.DelvarWorld.com
8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2003 08:39
BTW -- lightning has been ruled out completely.

. . .

Besides, if it had been lightning, what are the chances there was no one in the northeastern US driving 88 mph? We should all be back in 1955 by now.

"I don't know how they found me but they did."
"Who?!"
"The Libyans -- run, Marty!"

I admire your honesty. Hell, I like you; you can come over to my house and ---- my sister!
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2003 10:02
made the news here also everyone in the streets looks kinda fun

Cash Curtis III
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2003 15:38 Edited at: 15th Aug 2003 15:43
[quote]Meh, who cares. It will be fine. This is not worthy of a topic.....

Are u crazy?? Here in Toronto its insane!! Pll are trapped in evelvators and sybways! My mom yesterday wuz trapped there for 12 hours! Me and my brother had to sit in dark for quite a long time till both my parents got back, late in the night. Stupid traffic, at big intersections cars had no idea wat they are doing, they are driving all over the place not even letting ppl through, and you know wat the weird thing wuz? There wasent a SINGLE police car or officer to be seen in all of downtown. It got pretty mad there epecially when an old hobo decited to take charge, to guide the cars through. Yea it hapent pretty much across north america even through out the border, here.

Comin' soon: www.megatoncreations.tk
Now all I need is an actual game!
Also: Reviewing the games no one else bothered to.
Cash Curtis III
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2003 15:39
lol and they were doing interviews with the ppl trapped there, and they interviewed this one guy from the uk who thought it was all very funny

Dr OcCuLt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2003 15:44 Edited at: 15th Aug 2003 15:48
it a happy party in NYC as ppl dance in the dark steerts ??? i do`t think so.yes still on the news here BBC-24 has a 24-hour Camera on new york.

[edit]but Toronto not on the news? just new york well that news now a days for you[/edit]

--Dr 0--
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2003 15:46 Edited at: 15th Aug 2003 15:59
-Meh, who cares. It will be fine. This is not worthy of a topic.....

-It's not a worth thread that 1/4 of indsutrail America has lost power, including New York, for a significant amount of time? Go edify yourself on the news.

No,it's just the biggest blackout in the history of North-America...

Most of us wouldn't remember but they still talked alot about the blackout of '77

OH and what about topics like;

Britiain's heatwave

What do I do with £500?

Yeah! Nice day today =)

Just Installed Visual Studio 6.0

I got a new AIM name

Worthy?Gimme a break (I'm John Stossel!!!!)

If I've seen it all before,why's this bus taking me back again? @_@
Cash Curtis III
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2003 15:55
lol yea. If those desreve a thread then this sure does.

Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2003 16:18 Edited at: 15th Aug 2003 16:23
you guys are still off from what I just saw on the news, whats taking so long?, could it be a terrorist thing after all?, (and why did they shut down all the nuclear power stations?), sounds like somethings up and they ain`t saying, silence on the subject is worrying, you can`t just lose hundreds or thousands of MegaWatts and not know why, thats crazy, (speaking as an engineer..my day job ).

Mentor.

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2003 16:32 Edited at: 15th Aug 2003 16:32
-you guys are still off from what I just saw on the news

Well you do think there is an hidden agenda behind alot of things that happen worldwide am I right?

-and why did they shut down all the nuclear power stations?),

It's automatic when a power surge busts an electrical plant.

-sounds like somethings up and they ain`t saying, silence on the subject is worrying,

Now where did I put my aluminum plates?Oh there you go,come to papa's brains and protect his ideas.

-you can`t just lose hundreds or thousands of MegaWatts and not know why, thats crazy, (speaking as an engineer..my day job
A few years back,almost 10,at La Manicouagan(one of the biggest dams in America) we had a 2 days power failure thanks to a magnetic storm...We only found out about it a year or so after.

Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2003 17:00
actarus...shut up!, if you have nothing better to do than vent your sarcasm when somebody expresses concern then try keeping quite, there are no magnetic storms at the moment, and you don`t shut down all powerplants just because you have a surge, you take them offline, something completly different, and you think I`m a paranoid?, well its obviously better to be paranoid than offensive.

Mentor.

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2003 17:09
Don't take this personal but first...I won't shut because of you or anyone else.

Second:I am only reporting facts that prove you wrong(explains the h8 and all)

Third:I've seen people like you who say stuff like:

sounds like somethings up and they ain`t saying, silence on the subject is worrying, you can`t just lose hundreds or thousands of MegaWatts and not know why, thats crazy

And you know what??

They always end up blaming the Jewish people whatever happens.

BTW:Anyone ever asked WHY the Queen of England has friends amongst the Hell's Angels.

Isn't THAT worrying?

That said,at 20 years old,I had seen much more water flow under the bridge than most people at 40+ so I do come from the right place to tell you this.

Cash Curtis III
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2003 17:13
I dont think actarus was being offensive, just saying wat he thiks happened. But ill have to say too, this is a bit suspicious, how could so much cities lose power like this? I also heard a few in US were Detroit, Boston and anoter one i forgot. The point is it was alot of cities and towns.

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2003 17:13 Edited at: 15th Aug 2003 17:14
Mentor:I bet your library is full of books written by bored ex-cia-agent talking about how the governments control our minds.

Along with the sci-fis of course.

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2003 17:20 Edited at: 15th Aug 2003 17:20
-But ill have to say too, this is a bit suspicious, how could so much cities lose power like this

Like I said on the RGT boards about the same subject.

You could pull one generator's switch in Quebec's LG2 or Manic DAM and get half the NY state offline...Convincing enough?

Dr OcCuLt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2003 17:22
1)nuclear power stations ues 100 of KW to keep it from going from critical.and it can`t pull the power from it self becos if it surges it has a runaway effect like Chernovts(i do`t thing that how it spellet) in 1986.

2)Canada has a lot of blackout becos of magnetic and soler storm becos is power gird runs up in to the Arctic Circle.

--Dr 0--
Kanzure
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Are u crazy?? Here in Toronto its insane!! Pll are trapped in evelvators and sybways! My mom yesterday wuz trapped there for 12 hours! Me and my brother had to sit in dark for quite a long time till both my parents got back, late in the night. Stupid traffic, at big intersections cars had no idea wat they are doing, they are driving all over the place not even letting ppl through, and you know wat the weird thing wuz? There wasent a SINGLE police car or officer to be seen in all of downtown. It got pretty mad there epecially when an old hobo decited to take charge, to guide the cars through. Yea it hapent pretty much across north america even through out the border, here.
"

Good for you. Its not like alot of us care. Its not the End of Days or anything. It's JUST A POWER OUTAGE. If you didn't want to get trampled in the streets, stay at work. If you didn't want to get stuck in traffic for 6+ hours, stay where you were. Its quite simple

I can see it now..headlines on newspapers across the world..."Squirel found frying on lines: Costs $500 Million!" ^_~

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2003 17:30 Edited at: 15th Aug 2003 17:31
-Its not like alot of us care

Well in some way you do...If not you wouldn't post here trying to make it look like a lil' event...Which it isn't,face it.

Hell,Mentor here think it IS indeed the 'end of days'

Alot of people would've jumped on the medias for NOT reporting it...

That's when you realize that whatever will happen,good or bad,there ALWAYS someone complaining.

Kanzure
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Well in some way you do...If not you wouldn't post here trying to make it look like a lil' event...Which it isn't,face it.

Hell,Mentor here think it IS indeed the 'end of days'

Alot of people would've jumped on the medias for NOT reporting it...

That's when you realize that whatever will happen,good or bad,there ALWAYS someone complaining."

Yes, I agree - it is an event worthy of news, but you know what? Its a power outage! But I'm posting here saying that its a SMALL event, that isn't worthy of our already screwed up lifes

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2003 17:42
You're right...But electricity isn't just a toy.

Deliberately cutting power to many states/cities involves leaving hospitals to rely on their generators which can't sometime provide enough and other important issues.

In no way a responsible government would do that,meaning yes,that people often implie it isn't.

Why would there be a need to cut the power anyways?

Oh right,Bin Ladin jumped on time square with an electrified armor ala Dynamo and the only way to stop him was to 'pull the plug' duh!

Get my meaning?

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2003 19:53
HOLY FRIGGIN BLACKOUT, BATMAN!

I am in the borough of Queens in NY City. I sat sweating in this 1000 degree heat for 16 hours! I couldn't sleep, and every time i drifted off my two cats would do some stupid sh*t and wake me up!! ARGH! I wanted to strangle them and make them into a nice fluffy pair of slippers! Damn you Frodo and Iris! LOL My wife and sister got stranded in manhattan overnight, and my mom walked from manhattan to queens (like she did on sept. 11th) after being evacuated from a train under Rock-Center.

friggin sick. everything in fridge is a loss. I need a beer!

Rustler

How do ya do there son
8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2003 20:52 Edited at: 15th Aug 2003 20:54
Quote: "If you didn't want to get trampled in the streets, stay at work."

You are not allowed to just stay at work. In NYC, the police search the buildings and have power of arrest in these situations. You cannot stay at work.

The "just stay put" mentality cost the lives of an estimated 1500-2000 of the 3000 people who died on Sept 11, 2001.

In the US, now, major disruptions of any type must be assumed to be terrorist until absolutely proven otherwise.

People haul ass. And besides, who would want to be trapped on the 60th floor of some skyscraper in complete darkness as night approaches?!

Kanzure
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The "just stay put" mentality cost the lives of an estimated 1500-2000 of the 3000 people who died on Sept 11, 2003."

No. When theres a 100+ floor building under 200 feet away, and a plain just crashed into it - thats common sense to RUN!

Quote: "And besides, who would want to be trapped on the 60th floor of some skyscraper in complete darkness as night as night approaches?!
"

Is there a computer with internet thier?

Dean
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2003 22:01 Edited at: 15th Aug 2003 22:07
Quote: "Is there a computer with internet thier"

would't do you much good IF THERE'S NO POWER lol

this wasn't a very small event.. I'm sure if millions of people had lost power in the UK, you guys woulda been posting about it like crazy

I wasn't affected directly (I live in Central Canada (Regina)), good thing too, because it's been about 35 Celcius (105 F) here every day for the last week, but all the good tv stations were just blank screens , except for the weather network, which converted to an ugly looking version of safe mode or something

I bet we'll see a huge baby boom in several months though

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2003 22:27 Edited at: 15th Aug 2003 22:27
-I'm sure if millions of people had lost power in the UK, you guys woulda been posting about it like crazy

The board would've been down LMAO!

BTW:An estimated 50 million people were in total darkness yesterday.

Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2003 22:29
i woulda thought all those skyscrapers and stuff would have backup power anyway? it just doesnt make sense not to have backup power in somewhere with lifts lol.

even the place where im on placement as an it technician (which is a training centre) has a small backup battery that powers all the lights for around 12 hours. it's only a two floor building lol, with one lift which is used by wheel chair users.

anyway, about the nuclear power plants, i have heard that something bad has happened. i dont know where, or what, but i have heard from a source that a near catastrophe was just diverted, or that something did happen actually happen. i start to believe stuff like that because the american government is stupid. i mean, at first they had a perfectly acceptable story then they go and change it? strange stuff.

there is definately something they arnt telling everyone (then again there always is, lol )

Sticking feathers up your butt doesn't make you a chicken.
WOLFY
Years of Service
User Offline
Breaking News:

The source of the power outage has now been found. A top secret agent that goes by the name of Megaman Zero had his men turn it off to get back at some foes theat crossed him on the internet. That will teach them.....

HOOOWWWLLL!!!
Ole Sparky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2003 00:05
Well, CNN, MSNBC and Fox News are all saying that there's been some finger-pointing going on between us and the Canadians... Also, there were even some power outages here in Maryland, and supposedly Delaware too.

#@&*(%$()!!!
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2003 00:34
whats up acturus?, you sound like YOU lost the plot, since when has the Queen been hanging out with Hells Angels?, on some paranoid conspiracy site somewhere?.
I don`t need you to lecture me on electronics or how power distribution works, I do it for a living, power distribution is relativley simple heavy engineering and not likely to fail to that extent at the drop of a hat or because some ones pickup ran into the local substation.
nuclear reactors do NOT scram (emergency shutdown) if they lose grid power, since they have backups to ensure they keep running in all contingencies (it costs a LOT to shutdown and restart a reactor), they wouldn`t be much use as a scource of power if a powercut stopped them working DUH!.
all I was saying is that it MAY have been more than just a powercut, it would be logical, if it was a terrorist attack, for the authoritys to say nothing until power was resumed, you wouldn`t want several million people in a blacked out city at night panicking, best to leave em be and make nothing of it.
it`s not paranoia, we know terrorists have plans to disrupt power, attack nuclear power stations, poison water supplies, plant dirty nuclear bombs etc, just recently we found people would willingly aid someone to shoot down Airforce One with a SAM (at least middle eastern people based in the UK where willing to supply a missile/launcher, no questions asked), and we know they can easily strike at infrastructure since you can`t guard all of it, all of the time, they trained people to attack buses, trains, planes, make bombs from trucks, blow themselves up, snipe from high vantage points, destroy power and water distribution, gas passengers on subways, derail trains etc etc, and we know right now they hate the US more than they did on Sept 11th, and if they could strike back then they would do so, so when the power goes out for an extended period and the authorities haven`t given an explanation or managed to resume power then you start to think it MAY be more than just a normal power cut.
power distribution systems have protection and backup built in, it is highly unusual for modern power systems to fail completley , you can re-route power and be informed of failures remotely on the primary grids (and nowdays even local distribution), with modern technology it is almost impossible to lose power for any length of time bar major physical damage to the grid (ie severe storm), and don`t bother saying magnetic storms because that was the first thing I looked up and the EM is below normal, shutting down one or two power stations may happen in a powercut, but if they had to shut down them all then they lost the primary distribution network, and thats heavily protected against accidents and grid-wide failure.
you may have noticed those strange "?" marks on my post, they call them question marks, this is because I was being querilous, not telling people what to think, there is probably a very good reason for the power going out for such a long time, but it isn`t easy to imagine what it could be since power companies have been distributing power for decades and the whole system is designed to prevent anything like a surge excursion or a stalled generator shutting it down, so alternatives are something to explore and gossip about, maybe somebody heard something from a friend who works on the power network or something and would reply to my post, at the moment even the people on the ground don`t know what happened, so I feel I am justified in indulging in a little "what if?", what I don`t get is why you seem to feel the need to attempt to make my remark a subject of scorn or humour just to save yourself from having to think about the possibility that something unpleasant may have happened, I particulary resent being labeled as a member of the tinfoil hat brigade, I do not indulge in mindless paranoia or think Elvis is an alien and still alive, nor do I own a Tesla machine, and I resent being made fun of by somebody who obviously has very little schooling or critical reasoning skills and makes very few contributions to this forum.

magnetic field data ( near realtime)
http://sprg.ssl.berkeley.edu/dst_index/page1.html

so thats not the cause huh!

Mentor.

Rose
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2003 00:38
We had no power in Connecticut so we went to a pool party and then arrived back to hotels really late at night only to find that we were locked out, electronic locks!
doh!!!
It was a long night but at least it was warm.
*hugz*
Rose

Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over!
8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2003 02:23
Quote: "No. When theres a 100+ floor building under 200 feet away, and a plain just crashed into it - thats common sense to RUN!"

Kanzure -- you're wrong.

In the second tower, a message was transmitted telling people to stay put and not cause a panic. Most people listened to the omnipresent voice of the communication system, and a large number of those people died for it.

Bear in mind, civilization teeters on the assumption that when the voice of power speaks, it is right.

Post-9/11 studies concluded that a large number of the people in the second tower would have lived if they had gotten the hell out when the first plane hit the first tower. Bear in mind there was a long lapse between the two hits.

The final verdict was that about 200-250 of the firefighters and somewhere between 250-750 of the civilians would have still died, with the vast majority of the totally screwed being above the impact point of the first tower.

That is why NYC implemented the current laws it has for evacuating buildings in an emergency.

If it suits the city of New York to say it was a problem, then it suits me.

andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2003 02:23 Edited at: 16th Aug 2003 18:05
You guys are sick...

Lightning hit a powerplant in Canada, and ones in US shut down for saftey. I had no power until 7:00 this morning. All my food went bad and no air conditioning, tv or computer. And I was lucky. Some places dont even have power now. In NYC people got stuck in subways, elevators, and buildings for hours. People were stuck in thier cars, and couldn't get gas because the pumps are electric. Traffic lights and RR crossings were out too. Many people had to sleep in the street.

You people should just shut up because if it happened to you, you wouldn't act like this.

"All programmers are playwrites and all computers are lousy actors" -Anon
Dean
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2003 03:29
Quote: "Lightning hit a powerplant in Canada, and ones in US shut down for saftey."

actually, I think that's what we first thought, and it has now been ruled out, they think it was a cascade type effect. since all the plants are on the same grid, a problem in one of them shuts down everyone else.. we need to update our firggen power grid

HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Lightning hit a powerplant in Canada, and ones in US shut down for saftey."

That's just not true. I don't know where this came from. Looks like someone pulled it out of their @$$. (lol)

I mean first of all, I didn't even hear about this 'till I watched Dateline tonight, and second of all, just because one power plant happened to be hit, that doesn't mean that suddenly tons of U.S. plants would decide to shut down. I mean, how long have we using electricity again? We wouldn't shut down just because something that was basically inevitable happened.

SW Games - www.freewebs.com/swgames

Yeah, I know, I only have one game. Yeah, I know it sucks. But I made it! Me!
andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2003 05:26
I thought it was true. I heard it on like 10 radio stations (That's all I did last night). I'm not an expert or anything, so sorry if it's wrong.

"All programmers are playwrites and all computers are lousy actors" -Anon
Dean
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2003 06:11
they didn't exactly choose to shut down lol

8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2003 06:58
It's real simple -- they don't want to admit they haven't a clue!

Worse, the US feds are not going to jump on any track (on the record) until they have clearly ruled out sabotage.

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2003 07:39
Well they can't just give power to everyone at once. They're slowly moving in.

CB coming soon!
Website in Progress
Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2003 15:16
Quote: "
You people in UK should just shut up because if it happened to you, you wouldn't act like this.
"

Who do you think you are? You stereotypical piece of shite.

What do you think? All the brits are laughing at you because you have no electricity? Your an idiot, take that to heart.

Sticking feathers up your butt doesn't make you a chicken.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 08:37:56
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 08:37:56