Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [X9] - [WIP] - eternal

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2009 07:58 Edited at: 1st Jun 2009 03:23
Story
"Sanity is not statistical" - George Orwell, 1984.

My name is Stephen. Or at least that's what the tag on the end of my bed says. I know why I'm here. I just don't know why I did this to myself. It was only three months ago, I was considered a sane, free individual.

three months earlier
Janet screamed yet again. This was her fifth time walking out on me, yet for some reason, she keeps coming back. There really isn't enough within me to tell her to pack her bags once and for all and leave. I've never been the confrontational type. This time, however, she was serious. She never slammed the door that hard before. I watched as she climbed into her SUV and took off, yet again. The rain beat down, never changing.
Hours later, after several beers and some run-of-the-mill horror movies, depression mixed with anger really set in.
A knock came at the door.
Something was wrong. My first reaction was to grab a knife and give the person at the door another hole to breathe out of.
I called out, "Go away. For your own safety, go away..."
By the time I was sure that they left, I was already on the phone, checking myself into a local asylum, because therapy was just too damn expensive.

present day
The inmate in cell 4 down the hall started to bleed. Rumor has it, he was hypotonic, so his cells started to burst when given enough water. I think it was something else.

FPSC Version
As of right now, it's 1.15 unmodded, but I plan on using Project Blue.

Screenshots
Posted: 24th May 2009 21:58

Posted: 24th May 2009 22:46

Posted: 25th May 2009 08:20

Posted: 25th May 2009 16:20

Posted: 25th May 2009 18:48

Posted: 31st May 2009 17:22

Follow Molten Byte Design on Twitter
http://www.twitter.com/MoltenByte
Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2009 08:08 Edited at: 25th May 2009 08:11
Nice story, very nice...

As for screens, I must say I prefer the clean and serene style of asylum rather than the grungy type. When you use PBUM, unless you're only using the other project blue you could make some white tiled textures with spec maps to make it looks shiny.

Also, the MP5 pillar you have; fix that, it doesn't touch the ceiling.

EDIT: If you don't mind using DLL mods the omega bloom mod could help, emphasising the main character's madness...

"You are not smart! You are very un-smart!"
Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2009 08:46
Added 2 more screens.

@Toasty, thanks for the input. I'll toy around with the idea of a clean asylum. And that pillar is actually not MP5, but I get what you mean. It has been fixed. I tried out the omegabloommod, and as soon as I turn off motion blur, I think I'll be good. It looks nice with it, so might as well keep it.

Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2009 10:38
I think you shoudl, because the player needs to activate it anyway. If they don't like it then they just have to press F12.

Braden 713
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2009 11:30
Love the storyline man, and the screenshots look really cool

Looking forward to seeing more.

(By the way, on that omegabloommod, how do you actually turn off
the motion blur? Tried to figure it out, but couldn't seem to)
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2009 11:41
Pretty intriguing story so far Gunn3r, can't wait to see more...

Quote: "you could make some white tiled textures with spec maps to make it looks shiny."

Does that work, I thought shaders were broken?

"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a man a fishing rod, and he'll break it up into firewood...or swap it for a fish."
-Frankie Boyle, on Mock the Week
Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2009 12:12
Ugh, probably. I thought it was possible with Ply's or something, but I dunno. I'm dumb, that's why I model stuff rather than use my brain

Butt monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2009 12:20
I would agree with the clean asylum idea. We've seen enough grunge asylums to last us a long time A different style of asylum would be very cool!
Dr Parsnips
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2009 14:13
Looking really good man, Loveing the lighting. Keep it up!

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2009 17:56

I like your writing style. Great stuff to practice my english with, do you have any longer storys?

Well, as you already found out, I like the story and the psychotic Maincharacter.

The Screens are ok, but as Toasty Fresh already stated too empty. I would like to see more details and a bit more architecture. You do not really get the Asylum Flair out of these. I would rather use these Neontubes on ceilings and I wouldn`t use so agressive Yellow lights. Thats all I have to grumble right now. But as you already wrote, its still WIP, so I`m looking forward to more images

Keep it up

-Wolf

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2009 18:10 Edited at: 25th May 2009 18:20
Thanks for the input, Wolf! That really helps with the development of this. I do have some other stories, but it might take a little bit for them to get uploaded. I'll send them over to you through email. I actually thought about writing a bunch of game stories and selling the rights to the games made off of them, but I never got around to it.
As for the screens, I've uploaded 3 new ones based off of a somewhat cleaner style. (It actually uses the asylum segments you created, Wolf...). Unfortunately, the first two came out really dark. In game, they are no where near as dark. The third one, however, pretty accurately shows the darkness.

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2009 02:20
Added 3 more shots.

xyzz1233
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks good. I like both the style and the storyline. Only issues are that I'd like to address are the fact that the wall texture looks a bit blurry, as if it's too low resolution, and that the cell (if that's what you want to call them) doors don't really match the walls... Maybe you could make them black and white.

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2009 04:58
Thanks, Xyzz1233. I added a shot of the cafeteria, and made it more friendly for 56k users by putting the shots of stuff that isn't used anymore in code brackets.

As for the texture quality, I think I forgot to specify 512x512, so it's low quality. Lemme fix that. And I'll mess around with the cell door textures as I agree with you on that one.

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2009 11:42
Wow, I like it, sterile, yet ominous, slightly like Portal...

"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a man a fishing rod, and he'll break it up into firewood...or swap it for a fish."
-Frankie Boyle, on Mock the Week
Dr Parsnips
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2009 13:55
I like the new shots alot.
One question I have is are they replacing the previous level, or are they a seperate level. What I mean is have you changed the style of your game or are they both levels with diferent styles.

The first screenshots looked Like the aslym was decrepid but these make it seem more looked after. I like both I am just curious.

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2009 16:49
They are replacing the previous level. The old screenshots are a different style. People were asking to have it be a cleaner asylum, so I did cleaner.

Dr Parsnips
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2009 17:33
Haha fair enough. They look good man!

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2009 21:37 Edited at: 26th May 2009 21:38
Quote: "Thanks for the input, Wolf! That really helps with the development of this. I do have some other stories, but it might take a little bit for them to get uploaded. I'll send them over to you through email. I actually thought about writing a bunch of game stories and selling the rights to the games made off of them, but I never got around to it.
As for the screens, I've uploaded 3 new ones based off of a somewhat cleaner style. (It actually uses the asylum segments you created, Wolf...). Unfortunately, the first two came out really dark. In game, they are no where near as dark. The third one, however, pretty accurately shows the darkness."

I had exactly the same Idea. Writing ten good Zombie Game Stories and giving it away... I actually never finished it. Anyway. About the game.

I tell you in the first place, that your game isn`t bad at all.I really like it. We had loads of people leaving the german Board due to mine and/or getsfiles critics. The Segments I created are supposed to be Asylum Cells. Its cool to see people really use it. They are madresses, so psychotic people don`t hurt themselves in their cell (some of them coul rund with the head in the wall or similiar). The wouldn`t use these to create Hallways with it.

Other than that, I would use a ceiling light in a cell. They wouldnt use walllights, the Inmate could break these and kill themselves. Pay attention on how you set these, they should match the segments tiling. (I wouldn`t build electric lights into a maddress anyway).

The Bed you use is ok, but I would use the one with the attachment cables in the ww2 Folder.

The Asylum cells with the soft walls also have some security doors. ( they work great together with the gameplay, you never know whats in a cell, per example. Or you can let them open with a loud noise far away from the player and spawn an enemy) These Jailbars look ok, but I would retexture them so they don`t have this rusty look.

One last thing and then I shut up

I would suggest a larger canteen too.

Thats all for now! I`m really looking forward to this game! I like creepy asylum stuff.

Oh, about the Hallway:

This one looks awesome in my opinion. In a blue color maybe

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2009 02:34
Thanks for the brilliant suggestions, Wolf. They really help out a lot... And I might have to go over to your segment request thread now...
Quote: "The Segments I created are supposed to be Asylum Cells. Its cool to see people really use it. They are madresses, so psychotic people don`t hurt themselves in their cell (some of them coul rund with the head in the wall or similiar). The wouldn`t use these to create Hallways with it."

Alright. I'll change that up. I saw them as large tiles, so I thought they looked good. Thanks for the clarification.

Quote: "Other than that, I would use a ceiling light in a cell. They wouldnt use walllights, the Inmate could break these and kill themselves. Pay attention on how you set these, they should match the segments tiling. (I wouldn`t build electric lights into a maddress anyway)."

Good point. I should probably think through my design again. I guess I never really designed it around an asylum, oddly enough...

Quote: "I would suggest a larger canteen too. "

I can do that. I think I made it too long, and not wide enough.

Quote: "The Asylum cells with the soft walls also have some security doors. ( they work great together with the gameplay, you never know whats in a cell, per example. Or you can let them open with a loud noise far away from the player and spawn an enemy) These Jailbars look ok, but I would retexture them so they don`t have this rusty look. "

I'll switch them over to the security doors, as they make more sense.

Thanks again for the great critique. It really helps when making a game. I also added you to MSN.

@Everyone else, I'll be posting up some new shots later today with Wolf's suggestions in mind. Stay tuned.

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2009 21:52
Sorry Man, i deinstalled my MSN ages ago. (If you would be Number one concerned in dumb teenage love/lies/bleeding storys you would do that too...I mean, I`m not the right guy for people crying their eyes out behind a keyboard instead of solving their problems...and I haven`t even been paid )

Other than that its great to see you actually aren`t offended by my critiques. Most people are, thats why I only write them to experienced user like you.

-Wolf

puppyofkosh
Years of Service
User Offline
Lookin good gunn3r.
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2009 22:15
I hope it doesen't stay WIP eternal! LoL! Nerd joke!

Cool...

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2009 03:25
Wolf, I took your advice for changing the texture in the hall, and that's the first image that I put up today. The second one is inside a cell. It's fairly dark, but it's still clean. I realize that the hallway shot is a bit empty, and it might remain that way, because a deserted hallway is just that... Deserted. Remember, images are in the first post.

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2009 07:54
I've decided I'm not going to update this thread any more. I'm going to be updating it only at the Molten Byte Design forums. If you would like to follow the progress of this game (I just updated it with brand new, much better screens), post here, and I'll email you a link to the closed beta of the MBD forums.

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2009 19:50
I'd like to see the progress you've made, and beta test the forums too.

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2009 21:16
Email sent, Dar13. Welcome to the beta test.

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2009 23:02
Nice to hear! I`ll check it out!

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2009 01:14
Thanks. One last update on TGC. The logo for eternal has been created and is attached.

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 21:22:32
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 21:22:32