Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / CodeNation -> DarkBASIC Tutorials

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
No, I have not written any DarkBASIC tutorials yet on my site, but I was wondering what the general DB/P users wanted for tutorials. I'm thinking of NO starter stuff, maybe more advanced thingies - particle effects? Maybe 2D DarkBASIC stuff? .... tell me

lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2003 19:56
i think you should have some starter stuff, starting off is the most difficult part.

Kanzure
Years of Service
User Offline
But theres already many thingies for starters. DarkBASIC.com has that link to the a TON of tutorials, the Manual has examples, and then..some other snippit sites.

lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2003 20:09
yeah but personally i think they are all crap even the new book is not really brilliant, i am trying to understand functions at the minute and the book gives you examples but they are useless examples which pisses me off cos i am still no better off now, if you had a site with beginner stuff you would get loads of noobs visiting, maybe you could have a bit of both beginner stuff and more advanced.

Kanzure
Years of Service
User Offline
Functions? Ack I don't remember functions in DB ^_~..I haven't used DB in a while actually..thats sad..Mostly because I haven't been around my desktop, which has the 3D GFX card (me on my laptop)..

SuperCort2003
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2003 01:05
How about you do both. Beginning Stuff Made Eeeeassssy for Newbies Like ME. Then you could have the harder stuff which I think is a good idea.

The Kid was given the Kryptonian name Kon-El by none other than Superman and he knows that happier times -- as well as a good fight -- lie just around the corner.
The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
I need tutorials on dbpros 3dmaths and vector based commands.....ie moving objects with them.

[href]www.vapournet.com/~flyer[/href]
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2003 02:18
Make tutorials explaining the online commands

Hell Begins September 2nd at 7:30 AM. Yep, schools starting soon.
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2003 05:45
Particles

Website 50% done (May be out by mid-end August)
Kanzure
Years of Service
User Offline
Hehe, I barely understand the online commands but I can give it a try...

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2003 17:34
Quote: "Make tutorials explaining the online commands"

There is one - DBPro help -> Technical documents -> "Multiplayer tutorial: secrets to success"

You are the th person to view this signature.
GRAVITY: I fought the law but the law won
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2003 19:15
lcfcfan,

I saw your message about understanding functions so here is a quick explanation:

Assuming you know how to use Subroutines, a Function is basically a subroutine that can accept arguments(parameters) and RETURN some value back to the calling code. In DBP this a little light-weight compared to object orient languages like C++/VB.NET/or even VB6. C++ by the way has no concept of subroutines, its all done in functions and you either return a value or void. I am a VB programmer and use functions quite a bit as well as subs but in DBP i tend to use all subs and very few funcs as the whole structure DB tends to make variables global which kind of renders functions useless depending on what you are doing. It's good to write Functions and Subs as reusable code, meaning as generic as possible so you can plug in the right parameters and get your results. A super simple example of a function would be a function that takes two numbers and adds them, then returns the result to the calling code. The function can be called from anywhere in your code when you needed to add two numbers like

FUNCTION SampleFunction(Value1 as integer,Value2 as Integer)
ReturnValue = Value1 + Value2
ENDFUNCTION ReturnValue

DB is weird in that it needs some other variable in the mix to return where as in VB or C++ you would use the function name as the variable holder and type like:

FUNCTION SampleFunction(Value1 as integer,Value2 as Integer)as Integer
SampleFunction = Value1 + Value2
END FUNCTION

but in either case the call in db is similar in that you'd say

MyVariable=SampleFunction(first number, second number)

Then your variable MyVariable will have the returned result of the function. Note that the arguments to the function can be either variables (of integer in this case) or integer literals like 1,2,100 etc etc.

Hope this helps
Rustler

How do ya do there son
UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
FPS stuff as well as skybox questions and skysphere questions you should have lots and lots of FPS stuff =P as well as space simulator stuff yeah yeah!

http://www.freewebs.com/ingamers
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2003 19:28
Quote: "Quote:

Make tutorials explaining the online commands

There is one - DBPro help -> Technical documents -> "Multiplayer tutorial: secrets to success"
"

I dont have dark basic pro. I have the document you're talking about (DBPro demo) yet I use Dark Basic Classic. Are all the tutorials gonna be like this?

Hell Begins September 2nd at 7:30 AM. Yep, schools starting soon.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 08:33:53
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 08:33:53