Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / charector, weapon, scope, terrain, background starting help

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2009 05:19 Edited at: 27th May 2009 03:20
Hi I'm new, and I need help on starting a war game like Halo so I need to know what programs I need to get in order to make
1. a charector removable body armor
2. a sniper with scope
3. a full scale world with day night
4. and the sky above it for night and day

I have Visual C++ and dark gdk so let me know what programs i need that i can get for FREE. I know i'm ambitiouse but summers started and i'm don't post your age. I have 8 years before this needs to start to have a deadline. Thank you so much. If you like to talk to me persanaly please e-mail me at ds_ellis123@yahoo.com
and please don\\\'t talk to me like a kid. I understand a lot of stuff involving technology. Except for the programming language. I really apprieciate all your help and if your going to comment on this please put your effort in it. once i get the basics done i can put in the levels and music and stuff. Thanks again!
ABXG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2009 06:52
Download Truespace and Paint.NET (you can Google them), That should allow you to create any models you need for your game.

Before you start with DarkGDK you should really learn the C++ language, A great tutorial can be found here:

http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

I suggest you read and understand everything up to and including the classes section before you start really making anything with DarkGDK.

Once you understand the syntax make some console application and try and complete a number of different "challenge" programs (can Google these).

I don't want to dissuade you, but programming is a lot of work, you shouldn't expect to complete such an ambitious project as you described by the end of this summer, or even the next. It is going to take a while, especially if you are just learning C++ now.

------------------------------------
Currently 1500+ lines of code into an "over-the-shoulder" action RPG with combat based on rag-doll physics.
mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
im 12 to! but i can't really help you because im new to dark dgk, i know a little about every programming language though and some (like dark basic) i can programm games in seconds. try youtube, i saw some good tutorials on there.

www.madninjas.co.nr we are mad and we are ninjas
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2009 13:32
It's against forum rules to post your age

Quote: "Except for the programming language"

Well, you might want to learn that before you create all the media for your game, or it will be a bit of a waste... If you start this large project as the first thing you ever do, you will end up reprogramming it from scratch many times, (For experienced programmers, they will still usually end up rewriting the whole thing at least once). Doing this will just end up with you only learning certain things, and not getting much motivation, because you will never have a completed project until (if) you finish the whole thing. If you start with a much smaller project, you can get some more general experience, AND you will have a completed project to show off. Also, when you do move on to your final project, you will have to rewrite it fewer times, and so overall you will save time.

xiva
Years of Service
User Offline
I started my first project just like your hoping to do now.... and got stuck after about 30 mins.
Try to make a smaller game like diggsey suggested maybe a copter style game ??

"Lifes like a box of chocolates, you never know which one you get" Forest Gump
Unless you read the leaflet, thats why hes so "different"
DannyE
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for your good suggestions but the only one i intend to follow is ABXG. I like to start out big. And I said i wanted to complete it in EIGHT years. Thanks for your help. And if it was against rules to post age then why did they check my post and let it on?
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2009 03:21
Quote: "And if it was against rules to post age then why did they check my post and let it on? "

Because we can't edit your posts until after we approve them.It's against the rules to post your age.It's for your safety.

Failing at every guitar game ever made!
DannyE
Years of Service
User Offline
Ahh i see now. Thanks for the tip.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-06 15:28:07
Your offset time is: 2024-10-06 15:28:07