Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Help with turning one object into another

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm like a total newbie with DB pro, as I've only had it for 3 days. I want my object to turn into another object when I press a key. Any key, I know how to do the key checking, but not the object part.

--- Sethi Xzon ---
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2009 12:30
Like make a cube into a sphere (with a smooth transistion)?
Then you're up for some hardship. I can only assume that the two objects would require the same amount of vertices (some can be hidden on the one with lesser verts) and then you'll have to gradually move them to make up the secondary object.
As said, this is likely quite hard to achieve, but good luck

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2009 15:13
But if you don't want a smotoh transition, just save the original's positions and angles in some variables, delete the old object, load the new one with the same object number, and position + rotate it to the saved positions and angles.

<-- Spell based team dueling game!
bobbel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2009 18:42
what you also could do is scale the current object really small, and when you can barely see it anymore, you delete it, load the other one, scale it really small and rescale it big slowly

*ding ding*
Cagedrei
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2009 06:19 Edited at: 1st Jun 2009 06:21
I've been switching shapes for a single object by loading the meshes for both the starting shape and the final shape, then using CHANGE MESH to swap back and forth. Perhaps that would work?
Image All
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2009 06:46
bobbel has a good and easy idea to visually transition from one object to another. As for when to load/delete objects, I'd prefer pre-allocation.

Load both objects into memory, using only one of them at a time; use EXCLUDE OBJECT ON on the other one. Then to switch you EXCLUDE OBJECT OFF of the second one, position/rotate it to the first one's positions, and EXCLUDE OBJECT ON on the first one.

Loading and deleting lots of objects per second has a serious tax on some hardware, as I learned with a fire particle emitter I made. So instead of dynamically loading/deleting the particles, I learned to load up all of them at once, and only EXCLUDE OBJECT OFF on the number of particles that were needed at any point in time, then EXCLUDE OBJECT ON later when it had done its duty.

Remember those old guys? They made epic renders, I think one of them was called DaVinci, and all they used was MS Paint. Sometimes it's just skill....
Sethi Xzon
Years of Service
User Offline
The main problem with deleting objects and loading one after is that is says the object already exists.

--- Sethi Xzon ---

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 06:23:09
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 06:23:09