Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / i doubt anyone has ever really made multi...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2003 23:16
Is there anyone here in these forums who has actually made a multiplayer game in DBPro?It certainly looks like the answer is a big "NO.". The only person I saw who knew how to make a very basic multiplayer was Asheron over at RGT forums....
-john D.
Yian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2003 23:28
Ah. Just as I thought the answer is NO.BEsides the DBTeam haven't even made a tutorial on their site for multiplayer, and the example included with DBPro is a bit too advanced and complicated...now wonder nobody bothers with multi...

-john D.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2003 23:46
Your point is?

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2003 23:46
eh..is it some sort of contest with you? if you have questions post em...if you dont get a reply its probably because you posted 200 lines of source code..or your questions was not compressed enough and nobody wanted to deal with it

The 3D Modeler's Group : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/3dModeler/
The Unofficial DB Software Group : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dbsgroup/
8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2003 00:28
Does it strike anyone though that the vast majority of computer games are single player?

The few that arean't are almost all competitive netplay FPS games -- a pretty brave undertaking for early programmers.

I'd be surprised if there are more than a handful ever made with DB.

Doesn't make it bad . . . just reflects both DB's target audience and the target audiences that go with computer games.

I admire your honesty. Hell, I like you; you can come over to my house and ---- my sister!
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2003 00:59
I've made a multiplayer game, and tested it with 3 people. It was a simple thing, and I would finish it if I could find my DB cd to install on my new computer. You could chat with the other players, each other player was a cylinder, you could see where they moved and the like.

And this must be the new crowd, because I remember the multiplayer game Space Station Alpha, playing with up to 4 friends with lasers

Darken the skies, we are god
http://www.DelvarWorld.com
lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2003 03:18
Your wrong Terrabyte is making a multiplayer game!

Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2003 03:24
didnt they make star wraith a multiplayer game? or is this a DBPro multiplayer game only thread?

Hell Begins September 2nd at 7:30 AM. Yep, schools starting soon.
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2003 03:35
I'm making a multiplayer game...
It's on the games section of my web site (currently down).
It's half way through and needs LOTS of speed optimisations.

I need an animator!!! HELP ME!!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2003 03:36
SW3 isn't Pro , it's Classic. Which just goes to show how much is possible with Pro

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
CloseToPerfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2003 03:42
Combat by Heartbone is multiplayer made in DBP.
he should be along anytime to plug it.

CTP
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2003 03:54
Heh, sounds like this is a 'I can't do it so no-one else can...' type post
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2003 05:24
I meah hell yes, it's hard, my program was mostly copied code from a tutorial. It's near impossible to get it to work otherwise.

Darken the skies, we are god
http://www.DelvarWorld.com
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2003 06:38
Anyone else find is funny he only waited 8 minute for a reply?

Teenage Male Geek + Female Remotly Interested in Common Geek Activities = Teenage Male Jackass
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2003 06:48
Me Thinks John Darkeye is jus anudder one o dem der Blitz peoples. (how do you like my redneck? )

Oh and yes Arrow.. i did find that Quite amusing that the Ol' Chap did only wait about 10 minutes.

besides.. i don't think he understands that baic was never meant to be a language to do online gaming.

Working on 4 projects 2 RPG(programming texturing and 3d map), 1 3rd person shooter (Programming), and a special project.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2003 07:01
ignorant to assume no ones posted there work that no ones compiled one.

Not the sharpest tool in the shed are you mate.?

Yian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2003 11:10
no

-john D.
Kanzure
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2003 15:45 Edited at: 17th Aug 2003 15:47
Programming MultiPlayer games for Windows is hell. The fact is, is that the DB/P team didn't do a half ass job. They probably hard coded the functions by themselves, when they should have used some pre built library (HawkNL, LibNet)..That would have made it much easier for DB/P users, but uhh.. Heh. Do you relize how hard it is to program sockets for windows? You can't just ask for a "connectToEverybodyWhoisOnline" function! Multiplayer is NOT for the weak, and is nothing simular to a "Basic" language, and heck shouldn't even be in DarkBASIC because of its complexity, yet the DB/P team thought it should. I talked to somebody who made a multiplayer game, that only ran with 3 people max (no it was not made that way), and it took him 9 months to iron out all the bugs . Read that last statement again. 9 months. Not a day, not a week, not 2 weeks. 9 months. And you all are expecting a multiplayer game to just pop out of the blue? ha!

~my 2 cents.

Yian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2003 16:19
Heh my poin exactly however some dlls by RobK and Mr.TAToad might revolutionalize the situation with DBPro though....

-john D.
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2003 05:17
didnt that guy that is making magic world with those sphere guys make a 2 player laser match game ages ago in dbc? and didnt one of the copies of db come with a few demonstrations of multiplayer in db?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 08:20:07
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 08:20:07