Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Complete Beginner

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2002 02:20
Hi there.
I have been building a world now for a while in db. From the start i have had a problem with objects.

Everything i build in studio max 3 ( textured in max and converted to .x using the plugin) lacks solidity when added to my world.

The two most evident symptoms are.
1)Black triangles scroll along the edges of my buildings.
2)Things inside the buildings are partially visible through the walls.

I am a corporate web apps developer by trade and know nothing about game development.

The only thing i can think of is that my video card is rubbish. I'm ashamed to say its a voodoo3 ( Getting a new one very soon).

Can anyone tell me whats going on with my objects? Is it the card (sorry) or is it some basic oversight on my part?
Please help. I'm off work this week and all i want is for my objects to be solid.

Elnebuloso.....
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2002 14:05
Hi Elnebuloso, welcome

Could u post a screenshot of the clipping in game.?

your voodoo may well be the case but it may be a camera clipping issue or a camera range issue.

indi is part of Team Lunarpixel
multimedia logisitics and interactive media
Nemo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2002 19:39
Hi there.
Here's that screen shot.

Nemo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2002 20:11
Heh.NOT. Got a bit mouse happy there.
I try again.

[img]d:\ScreenShot.gif[/img]

Nemo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2002 20:13
Ok i give up. How u get a screen shot up.

xtom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2002 20:42
I think you have to upload the image somewhere and post the link. I had a voodoo 3 2000 pci and had no problems with the original DB, although I upgraded since so I haven't tried it with it pro. I don't think it's your card though.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2002 02:13
"I am a corporate web apps developer by trade and know nothing about game development. "

hehe are u sure u know web dev?
You posted the image from your hard drive.

heh
e
u need to make a site and link it from there

http://www.thedoaminuchose.com/filename.extension

rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2002 02:44
...right...
could be you need a new card,
and the objects showing through could mean bad positioning in MAX, or clipping errors in DBP (which I have experienced)
What I DO know is you can't post an image from your LOCAL HARDDRIVE!!!

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Get the DB Weekly Newsletter at www.dbwn.cjb.net
Nemo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2002 16:28
Thank you to all those who added the gloating comments. It makes a refreshing change from the usual kind of helpful stuff people tend to talk about on these sites.

Just to clarify.
What i do is mostly structured analysis and database design.
The web part is just building a front end to handle the input and output of data to the system. All my systems are built using Lotus Domino Designer and a combination of(HTML DHTML .CSS Javascript and Lotusscript).

This is more than i ever wanted to say about my job outside of the office but the point is this. I have never encountered the concept of "posting" an image to a web site before (I assumed it was some sort of java upload control), and i will probably never try again due to the absolute humiliation i have suffered at the hands of this viscious, brutal forum.

I still have that object problem also. I think its got to be the card, i have been over everything else about a thousand times. It's time i got a new card anyway (New Unreal Tournament is on the shelves).

Right, i'm off to install my brand new copy of DBPro (woohoo!), if i can just find out how to open the cd drive door.....

Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2002 19:54
"and i will probably never try again due to the absolute humiliation i have suffered at the hands of this viscious, brutal forum."

Easy bub, it was too much Shakespeare, we all make mistakes here, and it's like that we try again until we do it right

Well, I had the same problem u have since I've upgraded from Win 98 to XP. Not even with newer drives I could fix the problem What do u use for OS?

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
-- Rogue
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2002 03:50
dont take my comments to hardly I still showed u how to solve it.

Its an aussie way to hang a little bit on you and to see if u have any funny comebacks.

nvm then some of us dont have that humour streak

Come back when u get your new card, You will find were not as bad as you first encounter.

Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2002 21:36
This is more than i ever wanted to say about my job outside of the office but the point is this. I have never encountered the concept of "posting" an image to a web site before (I assumed it was some sort of java upload control), and i will probably never try again due to the absolute humiliation i have suffered at the hands of this viscious, brutal forum.

whoo, chill a little. you say this like this is hell and we're all devils or sumut, we're all human, we all make mistakes, and no one really cares. If you yourself actually cares about what anyone else thinks, maybe you should move to britain and we'll show you how to live

www.shockforge.com ShockForge Software
www.havochost.com Unlim bandwdith, unlim space, you.havochost.com, you.s8i.com, visit site for more details.
...::::ShockForge::::...
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2002 02:41
For your little prob. with seeing through the object- try ghost object OFF or any of the SET OBJECT commands.
Hope that helped-
RPGgamer

Final Fantasy, best series ever made.
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2002 06:15
hmmm... i dun think he's coming back...

?

err.. i mean , he's busy with his new Unreal... yeah , thats right! He's busy with his Unreal game!

eheh! I think i hear my Mum calling me! (Zuuuuup!)

Snake? What happened?
Snake?
Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!!! - Colonel Roy Campbell
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2002 17:47
we scared him away with our brutal antics:p anywho, if you come back, try downsizing the level a bit... id say a building size should be about 100-500 generic units or whatever they called it in 3ds max... Good luck
frawn
Years of Service
User Offline
hey, do not be ashamed of a Vodoo 3 card, give me a break willya! i have a matrox G400 card. And that my friend is a card from the middleages.

catch ya l8er

Anonymous
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2002 08:42
-----------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------

viscious, brutal forum?!?!?!? its not all that bad just to post a image on a site and make a link to it! I do that all the time. And its easy to! it should only take 15 minutes! unless you go no web site building knowledge
All you have to do is find a web host(eg. www.freewebs.com) upload a image and make a link to it on this forum! if you don't know how to, don't get angry at the forum. You just have to ask, nobody will laugh, thats what this forum is for. And never give up!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 15:29:41
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 15:29:41