Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Runtime error

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello all,

I'm an experienced programmer, but new to DBPro.

I'm getting this runtime error:

Runtime Error 1504 - Display cannot be created due to unknown DirectX error at line 0

This is my code

I'm stumped, any help?

BTW- I am using an older video card... I believe it has 4 MB VRAM and supports 555-RGB.
JaRoS21
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, I have tried working with bitmaps on other systems. So far I have had luck with those that have more modern hardware. But I am a little dissappointed that I havent had a single reply to this post. Back to the top it goes...

TheCyborg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2002 00:40
It's probably because your video card does not fully support directx. Try some new drivers and/or new directx if they arent up to date.

TheCyborg Development.
http://TheCyborg.Amok.dk
The Ultimate Source To DarkBASIC Programming.
JaRoS21
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanx for the reply Cyborg

I thought of that, but my drivers are of the latest build availible, and i have DX8.1 installed with the DX8.1 SDK as well.

JaRoS

kipster
Years of Service
User Offline
look and see if therre is a setting for the video catch size.

TheCyborg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2002 10:32
What i meant was if your card is very old, it maybe only support up to directx 6.1 or whatever. The drivers you have is probably a few years old and they only support directx 7. If you really want it to work, and there are no newer drivers, then there's nothing to do exept buying a new card.
Hey, I didn't say it should be the newest of the newest, you could probably find a cheap one out there.

TheCyborg Development.
tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2002 07:04
I have this problem too, and I'm glad I didn't post about it without reading on to find if someone else had it. My desktop icons blink a few times and then I get the same runtime 1504 error.

I actually was allowed to run a plain DBPro program with just a PRINT "Hello World" on it. So I thought maybe it was just Direct3D stuff, but when I tried to run a program that just had bitmaps and sprites it barfed again. Why would DirectX be able to initialize a black screen for text, but not a screen for graphics?

I don't have any video card whatsoever, I have a piece of crap Packard Bell, Cyrix II, 300 Mhz, 96 Meg Ram, lots of HD space. I know I know I need a better machine for 3D games... working on it.

My problem is why would DirectX barf because of this and not be able to initialize? Shouldn't it just default to (ick) software rendering and not completely bomb? I would think this is a bug, either with DirectX or DBPro (not smart enough to know which.)

My other games such as Diablo2 run fine (if you consider 6 fps fine) with DirectX 8.1, I don't see why DBPro games would crap out without hardware support. Any ideas?

TheCyborg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2002 11:04
How the hell do you get any thing on your screen without a video card ???

My comp is an oldie too. I have no problems.
AMD 350@382 MHz
64 MB PC100 RAM
8 MB ATI rage pro

TheCyborg Development.
TheCyborg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2002 11:05
Oh! and the latest video drivers is about 2½ years old.

TheCyborg Development.
tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2002 16:44
When I say I don't have a video card, I mean I don't have a separate card plugged into a PCI/AGP slot. Just the video on the motherboard is all that's running. I still get VGA and DirectX games still work, just poorly. DBPro bombs out though, that was my point.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 16:16:09
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 16:16:09