Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Antagonism - my 'Space Harrier style' 3D shoot-em-up in DBPro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2009 16:52 Edited at: 11th Mar 2013 17:56
Hi everybody!

Introducing my new Freeware shoot-em-up: Antagonism. It was created by me, Ben Wright, in DBPro. The concept is similar to Space Harrier although the design, graphics and music are all my own work.

Antagonism can be downloaded from the link on the page below:

http://mr-wright75.tripod.com/

For those who've played Space Harrier, the gameplay in Antagonism is very similiar. Use the cursor keys to fly around the screen and the control key to shoot the waves of adversaries while avoiding various obstacles and missiles. There are 24 different stages (or zones) to complete.

A trailer for the game on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8AiFpQ0TgM

I hope you enjoy the game and I'd be interested in hearing any views or opinions etc

Some screenshots

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2009 23:41 Edited at: 9th Jun 2009 23:42
Woah that looks awesome I love the retro style . The screenshots aren't working though...

<-- Spell based team dueling game!
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2009 01:05 Edited at: 10th Jun 2009 01:06
Looking good. One thing I'd suggest though, is making movement smoother. At the moment it looks like you just 'reposition' yourself.

Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
Great job!

"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" - Isaac Newton
Current Project: http://strewnfield.wordpress.com/ (Last updated 05/06/09)
Mr Wright
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2009 20:04
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Benjamin - The 'repositioning' of the player character was to imitate the movement of the bloke in Space Harrier.

Sixty Squares - Retro was what I was aiming for! About the screenshots, I'm having the same problems: sometimes they display and sometimes they don't
Michael P
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2009 22:12 Edited at: 10th Jun 2009 22:12
Looks good

For the screenshots I suggest using www.imageshack.us, or you can upload to the forum and if you don't want to post several times in a row you can just go back to old posts and upload it to them.

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2009 00:54 Edited at: 11th Jun 2009 00:54
@Mr Wright: The screenshots say "We're sorry, remote linking of images is not permitted." Maybe you could try another image hoster like imageshack or photobucket?

Also, I'm not sure what to call the style... Retro was the first thing that came to mind (I'm not incredibly well versed in game graphic styles), but the same thing comes to mind when I see Space Harrier. This game does look like Space Harrier though, good job

EDIT: I guess it has that classic look.

<-- Spell based team dueling game!
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Space Harrier was awesome, so I decided to check this out! The character, ground, and background looked fine, but everything else was solid white and textureless. From personal experience: media included in the exe does not load the same on all computers

Also can you add an option to un-invert the up/down controls?

Mr Wright
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2009 20:27 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2013 17:33
I've uploaded the screenshots to imageshack and edited the post. Hopefully that will work. Those screenshots are also featured on the website btw (shameless plug)

[email]http://mr-wright75.tripod.com/[/email]

@Sixty Squares - Apparently the style is called 2.5D, I'd never heard of that term until someone mentioned it on the youtube vid.

@Jimpo - I'm sorry about that. Although I find it odd that the character, ground and background were ok. They are also comprised of texture files included in the exe. I thought you'd either get all the images or just white textureless planes. I've tested it on more than one computer and it seemed ok, plus I've never heard of those kind of media problems (any help from anyone here would be appreciated!) I'm going away next week but will look into it after. I'll also look into your other suggestion about un-inverting the controls. Thanks for the feedback
Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2009 22:58
Cool game. I fondly remember Space Harrier from back in the day, and this is like it. You could make it better though - and i look forward to playing any subsequent versions.

You could do with a few more frames of animation on the player character - i mean dependent on the screen position. Clearly most of the enemies are drawn in 2d, and it would be a massive task to make 3d objects for these, but seeing as you likely have a 3d model for the player that you used to render the frames, why not just stick it straight into the game?

The dragon bit is significantly harder than the rest of level 1. These days i can't be bothered to play easy stuff repeatedly to get killed at the same point later on. Some continues would be nice, or restart from last "checkpoint"- one of which could be the boss start. Also in Space Harrier the difficulty of the first boss i don't remember being anywhere near this hard.

Like someone else said- invert up/down option...

The "horizon" graphics scrolled faster than the furthest part of the chequered ground plane, making it appear closer, which seemed a little wrong.

White Fang 12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2009 05:52
I got Runtime Error 2002 - could not load animation at line 767, which is sad because I was looking forward to playing this.

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2009 16:02
I'm getting the same thing too. I also noticed in Task Manager that the program's memory rises to just over 450,000 before this. Is this right?

However, looking at the video it looks like a real good game, so I hope this gets fixed so I can play it.

Spiteful Eye WIP. Go on, it's fun sort of.
Mr Wright
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2009 14:57
Hi everybody. Thanks for your feedback and sorry about this delay in replying. I've looked into the difficulties some of you have experienced with my game and have come up with some possible answers.

@Dr Tank: I was originally going to do the player as a 3D object although in the end decided to opt for the classic 2D look. It seemed to gel more with the rest of the game. With 2D, she has roughly the same number of frames as the guy from Space Harrier. About your query with the horizon scrolling faster than the furthest part of the chequered plane, perhaps I'm not observant enough but I can honestly say I never noticed this.

@Jimpo: I think the lack of textures on certain objects is related to my use of the 'clone object' command as opposed to media combined in the exe file. You said the player character, ground and backdrops displayed ok. Although I'm assuming the obstacles, enemies and enemy missiles don't? These use the clone object command and after some research I discovered there were problems associated with that command and textures.

@White Fang and Monocoder: That runtime error is more puzzling. It might be a codec issue. There are 4 short AVI animations in the game, saved out in XviD MPEG-4 direct from Blender. I considered converting them to WMV although the quality was noticeably poorer (and the file size larger). Although I have read elsewhere that this particular error is actually a bug in DBPro.

As regards your memory query Monocoder, Antagonism is a fairly big game, featuring 13 OGG files, hundreds of PNGs, and the aforementioned animations. All of these are loaded at the beginning so the exe runs smoothly. When I checked Task Manager the memory fluctuated between 180,000 and 360,000.

I might do an updated version in the future taking your suggestions and concerns into account. Thanks

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 08:28:03
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 08:28:03