Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / ARMY MEN: Behind Enemy Lines Real Combat, Plastic Men

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I've upgraded this to a work in progress! Down below is a screenshot of the first level in the Garden. For those who don't know the ARMY MEN series,you take control of a plastic soldier for the various colored nations and unleash terror using flamethrowers, tanks, magnifying glasses and mortars. This will be the same but from a first person perspective. Heres the story!

The violent war between the Green and Tan is at its climax, with the recent disovery of the mysterious 'portals' that connect the Real and Plastic worlds, its become a race against time to salvage as much plastic weaponry as possible. As Major Sarvosky, a spy for the Red army, you have been ordered to seal off all connections with the Real World. However, an uprising madman leading an orgainzation known as the Cult has left you and your squad stranded in the midst of a major Tan offensive. Its now up to you to make it out, alive!
As always, its REAL COMBAT, PLASTIC MEN.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Tempest
Years of Service
User Offline
ROFL! Not sure what to say. not much lighting, but I love the Idea. Walls look WAYYYY out of place, though.

tempestgames.tk
Ekipshi
Years of Service
User Offline
OMG lol, that's hillarious!. You should make this a multiplayer game for sure

If only there was a flamethrower and a plastic soldier melting script lol

All the best

Yeah... got hurt when i tripped... on some bullets
Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2009 12:45
Lol, I remember playing the Army Men games years ago. It should be interesting to see the franchise made into a first person shooter. Great work, look forward to seeing more.

music is like candy - you throw away the rappers
Gunbarrelguru
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the posts everybody! I'm currently working on a multiplayer "Kitchen" level. So far you can play as the green, red, and tan armies. Any textures for the blues or greys would be appreciated. Keep in mind I'm doing this project solo, so I'll take a little while before the game is up on the server, but I'm given it the best I got!
shadowfire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2009 15:57
ummm. haven't any of you heard of "army men: sarge's war"?
that was an fps for the army men franchise!

the onion mind probes are coming for your soul...
they take your humanity... and give you...
onionity.
Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2009 17:07 Edited at: 13th Jun 2009 17:09
Quote: "ummm. haven't any of you heard of "army men: sarge's war"?
that was an fps for the army men franchise!"

Erm, no that was a third person shooter just like half of the other Army Men games.

music is like candy - you throw away the rappers
Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2009 17:09 Edited at: 13th Jun 2009 17:11
Quote: "Thanks for the posts everybody! I'm currently working on a multiplayer "Kitchen" level. So far you can play as the green, red, and tan armies. Any textures for the blues or greys would be appreciated. Keep in mind I'm doing this project solo, so I'll take a little while before the game is up on the server, but I'm given it the best I got! "

You should make the guns in your multiplayer maps the same texture color as the soldiers. Green army men have green weapons in their spawn, etc.

-Kravenwolf

Success is not final--failure is not eternal.
FrontFlip
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmmmm, good concept but I don't know how far you'll get. Good luck
Coach Shogun 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2009 20:33
There is a mod going on for Half Life 2 to do this. But still, I like you idea and screens. I think the texture could be touched up a little, but I'm not sure how.

Apple Slicer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2009 20:46
All you need is Cozs shaders. A shiny one. like plastic!

shadowfire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2009 14:54
was sarge's war third person? i swear it was fps

the onion mind probes are coming for your soul...
they take your humanity... and give you...
onionity.
F0aMy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2009 16:45
Hey all! Has been a long time!

Haha I have to say this was rather unexpected!
But it looks very interesting to see what it will be come later on, but as mentioned the walls do seem out of place here... just a tip

But I do like that idea, im sure it would turn out to be a lot of fun!

Foamy OUT!

Lean mean game creating machine!
Gunbarrelguru
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey everyone! Here's another scrrenshot of the multiplayer Kitchen map. Progress in the game has been severly halted due to the fact that A, I can't find any tan textures for the Army Men, B, nobody is sending me any textures, and C, there are some issues with the scripts I'm trying to work out. After that is resolved, I'll get the game up so you guys can test it out!

Attachments

Apple Slicer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2009 01:04
Send me the green textures you have now. I will make tan ones for you in seconds.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2009 11:32 Edited at: 18th Jun 2009 11:49
Quote: " A, I can't find any tan textures for the Army Men"

Tan is a bad color anyways cause it blends in with the sand and wood and stuff.
Green and Blue are much better.

Quote: "B, nobody is sending me any textures"

Here is a stock us marine texture with a few adjustments.

First, I turned it black and white.

Then, I adjusted the contrast and brightness on the face and boots to blend them in.

Then, I adjusted the RGB and gave it some blue....

Attachments

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2009 12:09
green...

Attachments

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2009 12:11 Edited at: 18th Jun 2009 23:01
tan... (these need more work)

If you are interested in how I did this, then I can explain it better.

I can't give you the textures though because they are stock and you know that is a no-no.

But, I can show you how I did it so you can do it too, if you want.

EDIT
Yeah yeah, I know, I got into this.

Here is a YouTube Video that I whipped up showing you how to retexture the stock FPSC textures to a solid color using Paint.NET. (its free)
This way you can use different soldiers too, like the ones with gas masks from MP1, because you can do this to any character's texture.
DO NOT forget to back up the original texture before you edit it.

Have Fun!

PS
I hope TGC doesn't mind me showing the texture, because I put a watermark over it until it was black and white, so it won't be any good to copy.
The video quality is bad enough to not worry about copying too, so I hope you agree it's ok.
If this watermark is not acceptable, then let me know here and I'll take the video down.

Attachments

Gunbarrelguru
Years of Service
User Offline
Conjured Entertainment, that has got to be the most incredible thing I've ever seen! Those blue soldiers look great, and thanks for all the help. I'll see what I can do with it and let you know about any progress I'm making.
Gunbarrelguru
Years of Service
User Offline
Quick question for those who wish to answer. I'm having a little trouble keeping the frame rate good in the Graveyard and Garden levels. I don't know what I'm doing to cause it because the rooms aren't that large, the cielings are closed, and there aren't anymore than 4 weapons. Only 4 guards as well. I would appreciate any tips. Thanks!
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2009 03:58 Edited at: 24th Jun 2009 04:02
Quote: "Conjured Entertainment, that has got to be the most incredible thing I've ever seen!"

Geez kid, you need to get out more. (just kidding)

Seriously though, thanks!

I'm sure a lot of YouTubers will be like ...
"what the heck, this stinks"..Kip
"yeah, this is like the worst music video ever."...Napoleon

But that's only because they don't model or texture or make any games with FPSC.

It's just basic stuff, but it's the kind of stuff that is really fun starting out.

I'm glad I could help and I hope it works out for you.

Quote: "Quick question for those who wish to answer. I'm having a little trouble keeping the frame rate good in the Graveyard and Garden levels. I don't know what I'm doing to cause it because the rooms aren't that large, the cielings are closed, and there aren't anymore than 4 weapons. Only 4 guards as well. I would appreciate any tips. Thanks! "

Make sure the other entities are set to Static Mode = Yes, because if they are dynamic then they will eat up your processor.
If you still have problems, then set the Always Active to NO for your characters, then only the two closest to the player should run at one time, and that should help you Frame Rates.

Skydog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2009 06:25
Wow, what a great idea. Hope this works out well for ya.

War|Zone
Gunn3r Games Showcase
Gunbarrelguru
Years of Service
User Offline
I take that back, the most incredible thing I've ever seen is when we were leaving Cade's Cove in the Smokey mountains and all the sudden we see a group of cars pull out on the side of the road. We look up, and there about 50 feet from us in the woods were a blackbear and her 2 cubs. Some idiots tried to hike up along the side lines and ended up running like hell when the mother suddenly looked towards them. Getting back to the virtually most incredible thing I've ever seen. Thanks for the help with the frame rate, I didn't even know you could do that. As for paint.net, I downloaded it but my computer won't run the program. Something about that I needed to get the .net settings or something. Oh well.

This will probably be my last post here because everything seems to be coming together. Conjured, do you want credit given in my game since you helped so much? And I'm also curious what I should do with the game once I build it (like where to set it up).

I apreciate everyones thoughts and Ideas
-New Stone Age Games
djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 24th Jun 2009 18:38
For the program to work you must download and install the latest .Net Framework 3.5

A.K.A. chargerbandit
[href]http://chargedstudios.netne.net/index.htm[href]
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 00:29 Edited at: 25th Jun 2009 00:46
Quote: "Conjured, do you want credit given in my game since you helped so much? "

Not necessary, but is ok if you want to.

Quote: " And I'm also curious what I should do with the game once I build it (like where to set it up)."

You probably want to protect the assets and offer the user an easy way to install it.
There are free installers out there and pay ones too, like Phoenix Sentry. (I have not tried Phoenix Sentry's installer yet although it looks promising)
I have tried ClickTeam's Install Creator and their free one only has a splash ad for them, so that is not bad.
Remember, the user needs to install it anyway, because trying to run the game's EXE from the CD can run you into problems.

Gunbarrelguru
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay that had to be the most epic catastrophe virtually possible. I tried posting the beta level of the game, and did it work. No! It Didn't even post the game. When I tried playing the game on my own, first off, the lighting was all dark, second, the sounds for the guns weren't playing, also the weapons wouldn't respawn after you picked them up! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! Anyway, maybe I just need to start something simpler, like a single player game and work my way up to a game like I had hoped here. Thank you for everyone who has helped me lay the track for this trainwreck, and I'm sorry that I wasn't able to deliver.
game freak16
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 02:26 Edited at: 26th Jun 2009 02:33
Here are some tan soldiers i made during a battle.

EDIT
hang on i forgot to put them in jpg

EDIT
okay they are good now

Attachments

game freak16
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 02:27 Edited at: 26th Jun 2009 02:31
Dead tan soldiers

Attachments

game freak16
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 02:28 Edited at: 26th Jun 2009 02:31
a green soldier with a green shotgun

Attachments

Gunbarrelguru
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh my God Game Freak! Are those rag doll physics with the dead solders? Anyway, I dont know what to say. I guess I'll leave the game making to the proffesionals. This was my first game, mind you, and I'm much better with story and game concept than programming.These pics are really something.
Apple Slicer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 06:52
This is using Fpsc X10 I bet...

Looks good so far none the less.

Coach Shogun 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 07:38
those shots are x10. You can tell because: A)The water in the background

B)The over-hyped up bloom so that it blinds you almost.

Anyways, keep up the work gunbarrelguru

Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 12:52
This looks awesome! The bloom and shaders on the models actually make the characters look plastic.
Gunbarrelguru
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 16:33 Edited at: 26th Jun 2009 21:00
Okay, now that Game Freak16 is stealing
my thunder over there, I guess I'll have
to pipe it up a notch. I'm still attempting
to download the .net framework, but since
my internet went down it will take a while.
Gunbarrelguru
Years of Service
User Offline
I have to take this opportunity to tell you how anoying the milkshape program is. It claims to be easy to use and user friendly, but is turning out to be the most frustrating thing I've ever seen. Since this project has gone down the tubes in a hurry, due mainly to my lack of experience with FPSC, I'm goingto ask the Moderators to please lock this thread or whatever you usually do. Hopefully I'll be able to comeback later more experienced and make a great game.
Gunbarrelguru signing off
Arctek
Years of Service
User Offline
You know, If you got COZ's Shader mod, you could make the soldiers look very shiny, like actual plastic! Just a suggestion, though. I know the actual toys aren't supposed to be shiny.

My friend has these toys. I remember having battles with them! It was fun and a good alternative for videogames.
Gunbarrelguru
Years of Service
User Offline
What aren't people getting here? PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD!! JUST THE SIGHT OF IT MAKES ME SICK!! Thank you
Gunbarrelguru
Years of Service
User Offline
JUST in case the moderators didn't hear me yet, please shut down this money-fighting monday to friday thread! Thank you. I want to start a fresh and I can't do that unless you shut this thread down.
Coach Shogun 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2009 01:41
Actually you can Gunbarrelguru. Edit your top-post to say: NO LONGER IN PROGRESS and whenever someone posts, either ignore them, or tell them that you're not working on it anymore and give them a link to your new project. Good luck.

game freak16
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Gunbarrelguru
I am not making an Army Men game. I saw your thread and thought it was a good idea. I just made the new textures really quick and put a bench of plastic men all over to mess around with. I was trying out different lights and settings. In one pic I was using a dark green light with the bloom turned up. I put those pics up to show that I could help you do some retexturing if you wanted. I really do hope you continue to make this game.
Here is an other screen I took that I think is pretty funny.

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 06:13:49
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 06:13:49