Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / mouse scroll survey

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2003 14:44
OK well I thought of using scroll buttons on mice to control the character in my game, because I'm trying to keep all the controls in one place(the mouse). But for it to work properly the scroll of the mouse must be very smooth-it must not jump parts for example when u r scrolling down a page it must be very smooth ....I'm not sure if most people have this requirement...so I thought I'd ask u guys to tell me..I'd like every one who has to a mouse to say if they got a scroll button and if its smoooooooooooooth ...btw my one is not
-john D.
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2003 15:21
Mine isn't ... Why not implement a thing where hold down the left/right mouse button ?

Logo design by Indi
Its better than a poke in the eye...
Yian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2003 15:31
those are already used used for other things...

-john D.
Robin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2003 17:02
i have a scroll mouse. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by a smooth scroll but i think mine isn't smooth - ie if i scroll the wheel and then let go, it doesn't keep on spinning
i can click my scroll wheel though so maybe you could do something with that, but i don't know if DB can detect a scroll wheel being clicked

how about holding down control/shift/or space and clicking?

Robin

http://www.thegameszone.tk
robin@thegameszone.tk
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2003 17:10
My scroll is decent.

Does it matter if i have a sig???
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2003 17:47
Got a scroll wheel, but it kinda clunks as it moves. Its one of them microsoft optical ones.

Insiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide!
Yian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2003 17:56
@Robin: hey you have what's needed i think.I am very impressed by your game Arena, and emailed you but it seems you didnt see it yet...Well, please email me or add me to ur msn as soon as possible I could use your skills man... email:jerikothesliz@hotmail.com
@Mattman Looks like you got the required stuff as well
@Fallout Aha! This is exactly what I got and it's optical too! If I make the game with scroll this kind of scroll will be very akward... any suggestions welcome I'll think about the ctrl/shift idea, but as I said I want most of the controls to be at one place to ensure easy play.
@Everyone Well looks like not many people will be taking part in this survey but maybe someone already knows the result? If anyone thinks they know if it is right to think that about 80% of gamers(we are mostly coders here) have smooth scrolls, please post! THX

-john D.
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2003 17:58
ya! mine is a optical trackball and it clunks from angle to angle on the scroll wheel, (2 lines a time), also button 3 is usualy the scroll wheel if it`s clickable, or it was on the last 2 mice I had, cheers.

Mentor.

Yian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2003 18:04
ok thnx for that...

-john D.
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2003 19:19
My scroll you can push down for a click

Does it matter if i have a sig???
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2003 20:30
My scrolling is smooth. I mean, the wheel moves in jerks, but it's still rather smooth in games. In pages it jumps parts... because I use Opera and it dosen't 'smooth' scrolling like IE does. Which is good because that's an AWFUL feature which slows things down and crashes IE more than anything else.

--Mouse

Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball
Yian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2003 21:46
i guess I wont use the scroll bar after all...your answers vary a lot...and there are many kinds of scrolls....keep an eye open for me at the team requests... Thanks people

-john D.
Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2003 22:36
ohh, ohh

you havent heard about my mousey yet

optical laser coordless mouse, scroll, 5 buttons in total. 6 hour recharge time gives 3 whole days of use

Sticking feathers up your butt doesn't make you a chicken.
Yian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2003 22:55
lol

-john D.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 08:27:06
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 08:27:06