Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Sombody please define a level

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2003 15:47
No im not being funny i really do want people to give their definition of a level. Would be interseting to see what people define a level. I couldnt think up a good and accurate definition. so..er ... What exactly is a level
Thx
>>TerraByte. Putting the Byte back into Terragramming<< If my post has less than 20 typos then it wasnt me who wrote it!
http://darkdayssoftware.250free.com/Logo394.GIF[/img]
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2003 15:51
A level in a game... is defined as a certain playing area the player has to go through to get to the next area...or "level".

a level is also a tool to decide if somthing is flat..or "level"

a level can state a floor in a tall building.. for example "this is the 4-th level of the hotel"

Working on 4 projects 2 RPG(programming texturing and 3d map), 1 3rd person shooter (Programming), and a special project.
Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2003 16:17
a level (in your context lol), i would explain as a chapter. A change in scene, and maybe a change in mission/end-target.

like a chapter in a book.

Sticking feathers up your butt doesn't make you a chicken.
Terabyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2003 16:31
hmm ok im writting a 2d pacman game....help file.....now what would you cal a level

>>TerraByte. Putting the Byte back into Terragramming<< If my post has less than 20 typos then it wasnt me who wrote it!
Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2003 16:35
then i would call a level as something harder.

i.e., you may have less lifes, more enemies, more dots to collect, etc.

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2003 18:15
A level is the next increment of an on going saga, that hold both a greater difficulty and a greater power. To reach any perticular level is to say you've conquered that difficulty and obtained that power. A level is both a rank and a challenge.

Teenage Male Geek + Female Remotly Interested in Common Geek Activities = Teenage Male Jackass
Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2003 18:32
.... define a "Game"...

Free Download for a Free World
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2003 19:07
A game is anything with one or more rules and is amuzing to one or more people.

Teenage Male Geek + Female Remotly Interested in Common Geek Activities = Teenage Male Jackass
Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2003 23:07
i'd say a game was An activity providing entertainment or amusement; a pastime: party games; word games.

Terabyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2003 03:02
a game
somthing which som guy that everyone thinks has all the time in the world sits down drinks coffe over shouts at hammers the keyboard and all for a cool that looks good...just going into town now ill be back at 3 statement from the players who look at screenshots of it on the site.

But its all good fun

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2003 03:46
Question, why did you need a decent defination of 'level'?

Terabyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2003 17:05
cus im writting a help file. An you have to start somewhere

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2003 21:18
lets go through the basics...
World - this is a single theme area of your game, if your game is based on the same world (suchas Halo) then really the entire game is described as a world but some games have multiple worlds, suchas Warcraft3.
Level - this is an easier to digest sections. Oftenly it is used to break up major story points, however it can also be simply the next area of the world.
Area/Section - these are used in many many ways, you can either break a small subsection of the story with these, or divide a heavily polygonated world into easier on the hardware parts, or a way to seperate the puzzles, or it could just be a way of making several smaller models of a level like rooms seem like a single level.

thats essentially the very basic simple overview to levels
don't get sucked into Ermes "what is a game" argument again because personally i think he just asked the question to wind everyone up because he wasn't satified with any of the answers he got ...

-- -- --

though what the help file needs to explain level/sections for is a bewilderment to me.

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2003 06:48
Accually I think he posted that before the 'What is a game' post came up.

To live, is to live. ~Legend of Mana~
Terabyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2003 16:10
raven i couldnt agree more.
I hate people who see a question that they cant answer and try make it look like a question nobody can answer by asking another question and trying making it look retorical

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 13:25:19
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 13:25:19