Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / A small problem with 'Newton' physics.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2009 21:00
Hello DBP users, I have recently started using DBP and it has come to my attention that I would need a physics engine to save a lot of time and effort programming, but I have come across a problem:

When using Newton physics, it is stated in the helpfile that you cannot just move an object from position to another, because thats telportation and the physics engine wont be updated...

I automatically assuemd the same outcome with rotating an object, so I learnt how to rotate and move objects by applying a force to them in different areas. All was going well, I have the plane able to move correctly, and its even able to pitch and yaw. The problem with Newton is, if you attempt to roll an object... The anlge of the roll is on the global axis, which is just wrong.

I have attempted to use the 'NDB_NewtonBodySetOmega' which seems to just rotate the object on the global Z axis rather than the local.

In addition, applying the force tomake the object rotate also has the same affect.

It seems like I have no control over which of the global or local axis the object rotates on. I would very much appreciate help with this because I am sick of reading through the helpfile because of its silly navigation.

Thanks for reading this to the end at least, and hopefully a thanks for contributing to my project! If you need any more information, just ask.
CuCuMBeR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 14:21
there are commands that lets you apply local forces, try them out.

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on.
Disc330
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 18:41
Oh I have, applying global and local forces will change the objects global rotation only, or so it seems.
Perhaps I am doing something wrong... but I cant figure out where I am going wrong. I expected to find something similar to the 'NDB_NewtonBodySetOmega' command but there was nothing descirbed to do the same thing on the local axis.

For now, I am just going to work on not using the physics in teh game. It was just a quick and easy way of having collision and bouncing objects anyway.

Thanks for the reply though, I was giving up hope.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 08:21:49
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 08:21:49