Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Best Solution for a Portable Database That Can Interact with DBPro?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2009 06:24
I'd like to move in this direction but can't afford a lot of false starts. Is there a killer solution that works easily with DBPro, has a small footprint, and does not consume a lot of resources? Don't need anything super powerful just relational, handles SQL, security not a concern.

PureBasic's sqllite commands look interesting but then I'd have to figure out how to talk back and forth with DBPro. Would the old CR plugin for Access work? Can this be made truly portable? Any and all suggestions for a noob in this area are appreciated. Would like a solution that is truly distributable. Having a 6meg DBPro executable and a 40meg database "burden" does not excite me . . .

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2009 10:39
Maybe this would work?

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2009 17:28
Is this a database that will go along with a stand alone app?

or is this going to be client-server based?

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
freight hopper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 06:28 Edited at: 25th Jun 2009 07:56
The database would go along with the stand-alone app.

Regarding CR's latest for mySQL, what kind of overhead is involved? Would the user have to install any mySQL components? If so, how big would they be?

Thanks for the sqlite link. I'll look at it. I would feel better if this had actively-maintained source code behind it.

[edit] demo works, but no ini (sigh, continues his stroll thru the DBPro vault of abortions . . .)

If anybody could write a proper sqlite wrapper it would be you Ian. I'd be willing to provide testing services.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 18:34
Yes, the client would have to install MySQL. Alternatively you could host a MySQL database to support the app, but that doesn't sound like what you want to do.

You might email CattleRustler and see if he will send you his MS Access DLL. That's probably your best bet all around.

wickedly kick it
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 06:12
What you could do is use XML or .ini files to hold data.

Your signature has been erased by a mod - Please reduce it to 600x120 maximum size << omg my sig was 400x125
freight hopper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 07:38
I do have a copy of CR's access interface. I had a bad experience with Access programming a long time ago. But, all CR's commands seem to work as advertised. I have a lot more testing to do.

I saw a recent post about some XML plug-in. Must look into it also.

Still think someone with talent should do the sqlite plug-in. This would help many people for a long time (and you would be kinda famous - well maybe not really).

Thanks for the comments.

freight hopper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2009 05:58
The access plug-in may be faulty. See my post at http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=145547&b=18&p=0 (DLL Talk / MySQL DBP Plugin updated).

sundoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Microsoft's old BASIC professional had an integrated database engine so that you could include the code for it in your distributables without the customer having to install a database system. This is something the DarkBASIC *NEEDS*. It will never be complete or able to properly support large-scale games that need to store lots of data until something the fills this purpose is made available. Adding on MySQL is not an option. The players are not doing that. I may look into trying to 'splice' the old Microsoft engine into DarkBASIC but first look isn't promising.

Is there really nothing like this available already? I mean, this is old technology that Microsoft had 15 years ago ...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 08:25:55
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 08:25:55