Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Stopped again

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 01:58
I am using DBP Trial Version. It doesn't have all the nice things that the full version has. (My copy of the full version is in the mail.)
I have been trying to follow the tutorial but that failed when I could not get the codes they referred to.
Now I am using the Movies that come with Dark Game Studio. (They are on the site.) They refer to loading entities from the Store into DBP Trial however, he seems to be using a different version that I have because I don't have an orange tab on the top of my screen to go to the store. As a matter of fact, my version doesn't mention adding entities at all.
Guess I will just have to take a break until the CD gets here with all the programs on it and go from there.
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 04:11 Edited at: 25th Jun 2009 04:12
Take the waiting time to plan your first game. Most of us think about what we want to do, draw graphics, and/or make models long before we start typing code.

Raybrite2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 06:22
The game I have in mind has already been made on another game system in 2D. It turned out to be a disaster as I did the entities and world myself. It was also drop and drag.
I am trying to see if I can get DBP to work for me. I have made the world and there are a lot of things I need to learn. That is why I am using the trial.
This morning I noticed they have a DB Package that is downloaded for a little over $130. I have already ordered the Dark Game Studio and I would have purchased that one if I had seen it. Oh well, such is life for me.
Raybrite2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 09:29
Hurray!!! It just came.
Received my copy of Dark Game Studio AND the Hands On DarkBASIC Pro, Vol 1.

Now I have to take all the demo programs off my computer and install the DVD.
A VERY Happy Day!!!!
bobbel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 09:35
Congratulations! Have fun!

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 10:32
Yeah, 'grats

Raybrite2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 12:20
It will take me at least a day to try to remember where I was when it came.
I niw have so many things to learn and do that I don't really know where to begin right now. I have it all downloaded in the computer. ( Thinking about looking for a new one tomorrow to go with the new programs. Already have wife's permission.)
I will just take a bit of time to figure out what to do next.
I still have a lot of learning to do.
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 19:04
Don't eat code syntax too fast... there's no Heimlich Maneuver for coding. Take your time.

Raybrite2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 00:12
I have to read and do the code for 700 pages. It says to read through a chapter then, go back through and work the problems and take notes. That is 1400 pages. Should keep me busy until Christmas.
Will also be looking at plans for my Raybrite game. It was done once in 2D using Mushroom houses. Will have to figure those out again. They are supposed to have doors to enter but, can be entered from anywhere now.
lucifer 1101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 02:13
it wont take too long to go through it, i suggest using it as more of a reference after reading through it...

Come and have a look at my hobby site once your ready..
http://darkdstudio.webs.com/
Note: its still really bare..
Raybrite2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 05:32
I am working out most of the exercises. It has been a long time and I have forgotten a lot. They take a bit of a different approach to programming than what is in the tutorials.
I will probably jump ahead later as I am getting the thoughts together for my next Raybrite game. I started last night on some notes for the problems and scoring. It will be a bit different in scope and flow than the last one.
This one will focus on getting the highest score.
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 05:54 Edited at: 26th Jun 2009 05:56
Quote: "They take a bit of a different approach to programming than what is in the tutorials. "

Programming is the same way ants find food. They put down a scent trail from the food to the nest and as more ants go to the food and back to the nest the scent trail to the food gets straighter and straighter. Until it's the most efficient and fastest way to get to the food.

When you start out expect to do things the long way around. It's not really the wrong way if it gives you the same results. But eventually when you do it enough you'll have the skills to do it the quickest way like the lowly ant.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 08:19:15
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 08:19:15