Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Dark Noobs Project 2: RPG

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2009 20:14
that works for me as well...

the only thing about your code that confuses me really is the __ in front of some variables...

but modifying that version seems to work just fine.

also, Ashingda, I think that the main menu can use the EvilGUI instead of having the menu options hard coded into the image like that, I think if you give the background image with just the island on it I could make the title screen using EvilGUI (or PillarOFire could)

-Warspawn
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2009 20:47
They are just there so that nobody would accidentally call another variable the same and hence end up modifying the system unintentionally

Glad it works.

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2009 21:13 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2009 21:14
@Rudolpho
I have trouble compileing the codes, the newest update does the same thing as befor for me.

Funny because your very first post of the dialog codes worked but this later version doesn't.

@Warspawn
I just thought it's simpler to hardcode into the image.
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2009 21:30
Ok... well, I have compiler version 1.7.3
Maybe you should update (if you have v1.7.4 I guess they must have removed something?).

z i l c h vortex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2009 21:49
ok i have my job and yea sure i just need some reference as in charecters and the goblin and music if anyone has these please post.

life is short but so am i
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2009 22:00
Well, I've begun writing an overworld theme. It's sort of gloomy; I figured that would do with a "goblin island". Maybe not though, when you look on the actual island graphics
Anyway, I'm going with it.

z i l c h vortex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2009 22:09
Awesome ill start asap. Is there any reference pictures?

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2009 22:22 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2009 22:29
@Zilch
We can do the whole intro with just dialogs for now I believe.

@Rudolpho
I had an older version of DBPro, just got it updated to 7.3. Now another problem starts up with Warspawn's codes.

Are we all using the latest DBPro version? I'm sure that I wasn't.
Warspawn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2009 22:31
well I have 7.3, not sure why it doesn't error out for me, but I think that it might be more correct to change it anyway, need to change the GetItemName function to GetItemName$ in both the declaration and when it's called on line 454

at least I think that is why it errors for some

-Warspawn
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2009 20:08 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2009 20:08
I'm having trouble compiling now after upgrading. Warspawn's codes that used to work fine, just doesn't anymore.
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2009 21:27
Is that so.
Well, if we could get the error messages perhaps...?

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2009 00:37 Edited at: 4th Jul 2009 00:37
I dont understand what's going on, even if I rem it out it's still not working. Take a look for yourself.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2009 01:03
Yeah, remember that the IDE more often than not highlights the wrong line.

Often (but not always), you would have better luck by opening DBPROOT\TEMP\FullSourceDump.dba and locate the line number reported (here apparently 1215). (Note: this is only relevant if the reported line is not in the first source file).
Probably some udt array is being accessed without having been formerly created, hence the compiler thinks it's a command, which it can't work out.

Also, the default IDE is known to sometimes just mess up.
Try creating a new, blank project and just copy all of the code in; it might work.
That's all I can think of right now.

Warspawn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2009 02:09 Edited at: 4th Jul 2009 02:17
you could also try changing your launch.cfg file to use the new editor it's better, and everything compiles fine in mine

-Warspawn

Attachments

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
@Warspawn
Wow I didn't even know about that new editor, works great now thanks!
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2009 12:21
Glad to hear you got it working

I use CodeSurge to and fro, but it's just to darn slow at times...

z i l c h vortex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2009 03:25 Edited at: 6th Jul 2009 03:25
Am i making a scene or are you guys making the scene via dialog.

Cheers.

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2009 20:20 Edited at: 6th Jul 2009 20:24
Well you can start by making the scene using the dialog, if you'd perfer to take on a task of your choice you're free to do so, just give a heads up.

@All
Besides the task I give you, you can pretty much work on any area you feel you can help out with as long as it hasn't been done. Exception is when you can improve on or add upon what somebody else have done, such as updates on graphics or simplifying codes, etc.

Now since the codes are working again, I'll be getting busy again, but it's that time of the year and I will be having alot of company over so I'll be a bit busy but will do my best. I'm working on Objects and Npc next.
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2009 23:36 Edited at: 8th Jul 2009 23:38
Well, here's the deal.

I suppose I'm the official musician on this team and as such I've begun thinkering with the soundtrack (I'm about 75% finished with an overworld theme as of current).
I thought that it would be of great help in the composing work if I knew some more about the general mood / setting and story of the game. So, if somebody know (or just have some good ideas - I'm sure they could be tweaked in as I believe there is no official story as of yet?) it would help me a great deal to know, so please do tell up.
I'm sure it could also be helpful to the graphic artist(s).

As of current, I have planned the following tracks:
· Main theme
I have a partially thought up idea here, but it could really help to
know the story, as said.
· Overworld theme
I've already come quite a bit on this one. It is rather gloomy and
basically goes with a piano arpeggio, some mellow strings and an
oboe lead.
· Battle theme
There's ought to be one. I have some very faint arrangement ideas,
but no theme or anything yet. The though-out arrangement could easily be
changed if it would fit better with the story.
· Victory fanfare
I've got this basically thought up, just need to record it.
· Game over theme
I'm not sure about this; it's starting to become many tracks.
Maybe it will be short, one of my older songs, omitted, or something
really grand. (The latter isn't likely unless inspiration strikes
me and I have some free time).
· Boss battle theme
Again, maybe if needed and enough time is available.

Any additions / changes to that list you see fit?

Well, again, thanks for any info on this,
Rudolpho

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm curious, what are you using to make music?
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2009 11:17
Sibelius coupled with the Kontakt sampler (+ a few various sample packs).

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2009 21:51 Edited at: 13th Jul 2009 21:55
Sorry everyone but my internet has been canceled and I wont be as active online anymore.

I'm passing the management role to Warspawn. You may take it or leave it, continue the project or scrap it.

Good luck to everyone.
Warspawn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2009 02:19
well, sorry to hear that, that sucks.

alright, well to everyone here: do we want to continue working on this project or do another one? (since Ashingda27 had the main idea of what we should do)

I am willing to try to take over leadership for this project or another one or we can do whatever. It has been a while since any updates in this thread anyway.

-Warspawn
Pillarofire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2009 10:30 Edited at: 14th Jul 2009 16:34
We should continue. We can't just drop a project. At the very least let us find a closing spot.

So, what do you want me to work on Warspawn?

I can sort of do art too.

EDIT:

Here is my project file, using the EvilGUI...

I have managed to mess up the whole flow of your battle routines, and they were too confusing that I dont have the time to sit and figure them out. But I used Rudolpho's Bitmapfont to render onto the GUI,... it looks so nice. Now we just need a nice looking Frame tileset to make things peachy. Later... anyway the dialogue was already written, so I uh kinda omitted it. I will try to work extra extra hard on this. We will finish this project!

So, if you want to dismiss what I submitted because its a step backward, sort of... I understand, I'm a big boy. But I think that the current direction of the project could be a lot simpler (maybe that's just me) By using modules, or separate code that plugs into the game. The game code should just be the logic that calls functions that perform all the game's, hrmm for the lack of a better word, functionality.

This goes for the character management, You could make a simple system that specifically deals with character creation, character rendering, and character actions. Then create another system that deals with Special Effects, Like fx_SpawnEffect( x, y ... )

In that way you don't have to hardcode so much of the menial functionality that dumb people like me get so confused with what is actually going on. They should be able to look at a block of code, and realize, "hey, this code draws a character from the database entry for a character. I could use this code in combo with the battle routine to easily draw all the characters I need to show."

Different systems should be completely independent of each other. The gui system should not need a global variable that is declared in the character creation system... That is the essence of modularity. Anyhow I need to work tomorrow and its already late.

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor haha programming.

Attachments

Pillarofire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2009 14:38 Edited at: 20th Jul 2009 11:54
Ok. I have not been idle, though I have not been writing a lot of code yet. This project is complicated, and as such deserves a little bit of design discussion. So, There is a list of things we need to do to realize the completion. Probably more than I list here only because I haven't thought of them yet, but the idea is straight-forward.

There are several elements to this project.

1. The Game itself.
2. The Character.
3. The Battles.
4. The Items.
5. The Skills.
6. The Statistics.
7. The Maps.
8. The Special Effects.
9. The Graphical User Interface.
10. The Physics. maybe.
11. The Common types and functions for all of these.
n. Whatever else that can be thought of.

Breaking each part down further reveals certain aspects of it that need to be developed. Think of each part as a separate entity or object that is and does one specific thing. I will break down the Character first to show you what I have in mind. You see as I break it down further and further it starts looking like the straight code that I write to make it into what I want it to be.

EDIT: I changed my mind for theis next block, but didnt want to delete it altogether:

EDIT:

Ok so keeping the Skill separate from the character definition is proving to be a greater pain than including it, due to the limitations with DBPro, mainly the inability to have an array in a UDT. So the character system will include a system for handling skills and Stats, and that will be better... Though it does go against what I said previously.

This means that skills have to have hard-coded slots in the character definition. Unless anyone else can come up with a convenient way to dynamically add and remove skills from a character, I will do this and make say, 12 skill slots.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 08:25:20
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 08:25:20