Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Hard Drive Problem

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I have a slighltly old IBM 40 gig HD that has some issues. After I have been going like 2 months between formats my system slwos to worse than a crawl, it just goes SLOW. It takes upwards of a minute to open a folder!! I checked a lot of other hardware on my system but i dont think any of them are causing the bottleneck (i have athlon 1.5GHz, 266 bus, 384 DDR 266 Mhz RAM, etc). I am wondering why this is. I tryed Defragging, "norton disk optimization", nothing works. What should I do?
Snake
8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2003 02:28
What format method did you use?

Disk utilities that came with the HD?

Format c: ?

Low-level?

Is it IDE or SCSI?

I admire your honesty. Hell, I like you; you can come over to my house and ---- my sister!
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2003 02:41
What os are you using?
Under heavy use win9x can need formating every 40 or so days.
Are you experiancing any other odd behaviour. Windows refusing to shut down, random reboots, programs refusing to run etc. are usually a sign that it's time to format.
silversnake
Years of Service
User Offline
I running WinXP under NTFS...
Its EIDE
I format when im installing from the WinXP CD
Nothing refuses to run or shut down, shutting down is fine, i DO get random reboots occasionally (every few days or so) and some programs will refuse to run....ahhhhhh
Well, then indeed its format time again. Thanks for your help.
Snake

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 08:16:35
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 08:16:35