Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Anyone seen "Lord of the flies"?!?!?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2003 13:50
hi,

I was at my cousins the other night and there was a film called "Lord of the flies" on. If you've seen it then you'll know what I'm on about, it's a horrible film, all of these kids getting killed by other kids, it shows you the "rest" of the body once he's dead. If you ever go to rent a film DO NOT get this one unless you're Geri who'll just get it cos I've told him not to.

Has anyone else seen it?

Thanx.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2003 14:14
the story is a classic, if you have the time, an original book would have been better.

what did you learn from it tho?

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2003 14:21 Edited at: 19th Aug 2003 14:24
There's 2 versions, both very good films - the original was made a long time ago in black and white, and it was remade in colour about 8 or 9 years ago. It is also a very well thought-of book.
The Simpsons did a take on it too, the one where there stranded on the desert island is based on LOTF. It is pretty gruesome when the little guy gets it, but it is also an amazing film that I heartily recommend.

Van-B
EDIT: Don't expect Swiss Family Robinson, more like a facsimilie of modern society in an alternative environment.

My cats breath smells of cat food.
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2003 14:59
I saw both movies but I didn't read the book...Very good,I don't see why you didn't like it...Maybe in a few years.

If I've seen it all before,why's this bus taking me back again? @_@
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2003 15:02
Book was good.. both movies sucked.

Working on 4 projects 2 RPG(programming texturing and 3d map), 1 3rd person shooter (Programming), and a special project.
Kharnor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2003 15:06
I watched Lord of the Flies at school, for English, cause it was kind of similar to a book we were reading.
Yeah, it was pretty gruesome, and i would recommend it to everyone.

Current project:
Untitled racing game (approx. 1% complete)
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2003 15:08
Liquid:Tell me a movie that's better than the original book

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2003 15:10
Congo..... and thats it..

Working on 4 projects 2 RPG(programming texturing and 3d map), 1 3rd person shooter (Programming), and a special project.
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2003 15:15 Edited at: 19th Aug 2003 15:38
hehe For my part I have yet to see the uncensored version of A Clockwork Orange to judge but I'm pretty sure the book can't be bested by a film.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2003 15:43
I remember thinking about this when I was about 17, I decided to hunt for a really popular film based on a book that bettered the book. I decided to hunt out the book for The Running Man, written by Richard Bachman.

Turned out though that Richard Bachman was actually a psuedonym for Stephen King, and the book rocked! - and it was nothing like the film, the original story would make an amazing movie.

It is my estimation that I've never read a book that was bested by the movie.

Here's my top 3 books that kicked the movie versions into touch.

1. Red Dragon
2. IT
3. The Running Man

Van-B

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2003 16:00
i've seen all teh mentioned movies, and i havent read any of the books save for the running man, and i believe the book was better, but the movies are still stunning (except congo, if its the movie im thinking of thats pretty poor). as for clockwork orange my brothers it is a sensational movie, bizzarre and a bit horrific at parts but must see. i mean the gguy kicks through a table for christs sake, and sorry to spoil it for you guys but the main guy totally breaks a chicks face with a giant ceramic penis. it will have you singing in the rain.

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2003 16:04 Edited at: 19th Aug 2003 16:04
IT has got to be better,I mean,King's books all best his movies.

Stephen King is one of the bests of this century as far as horror is concerned.

I really loved that X-Files episode he made...Y'know,the one with Lord Kimbot and the Men in Black

lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2003 16:10
I am looking forward to freddy vs jason, dunno who jason is but surely freddy will kick his ass!

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2003 16:14 Edited at: 19th Aug 2003 16:15
-dunno who jason is but surely freddy will kick his ass

He's just a little kid who went for a swim,while Freddy is everyone's favorite sex fiend

JasonX was good.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2003 16:17
Pah, never got to see that, don't think it was shown in Britain .

I loved IT the book, I enjoyed the movie, but the book was glued to my hands for a week, could'nt stop reading it! - The best thing about King is that you never know what's gonna happen at the end, in 99.9% of books and movies, you can guess what the ending is - with Stephen King you spend most of your time hoping that your fave character does'nt get it in the neck!.

I have to admit though, they did a damn fine job of 'The Green Mile', the movie is almost as good as the book in that case - same goes for 'Shawshank Redemption'. King must have a knack for prison stories.

Van-B

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2003 16:23
Shawshank's redemption is a damned good movie...I can't believe King hasn't got the place he deserves in Hollywood or in cinematography in general.

Shady Simpson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2003 00:18
Quote: "Very good,I don't see why you didn't like it...Maybe in a few years."

It was a good film but I can't believe it was allowed. I felt so sorry for that little piggy guy when he got hit by a rock after they'd nicked his glasses and he was cryin, and I couldn't believe it showed the dead children afterwards, it was horrible.

Quote: "what did you learn from it tho?"

that kids can be gits!

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2003 11:06
You've obviously never seen a Danny Boyle movie, check out 28 Days Later, damn cool movie but dead babies always make an appearance in his movies. Little Dawn from Trainspotting got it too, he even held the camera on her deliberately long. I don't know if it's to enduce some sort of reaction from his audience, but I FFWD through it - that stuff really upsets me too.

Van-B

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 08:21:51
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 08:21:51