Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / X-Quad a good foundation utility for games?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm curious what DBP programers think about X-Quad as a foundation tool for developing games?

Does it speed up the process? Is it good as an engine? That is simplify the process? Does it hinder your development projects in anyway? Does it play nice with other utilities like Cartographer for example?

The information on the site suggests that the utility is basicaly a visual game editor, however in my experiance most visual editing are limiting in some way or another. With that said my projects tend to be straight forward a simple, I have in the past used a lot of visual tools like the NWN toolsets for example and I found them to be sufficient to make my creations.

I did try out the 'Game Maker' tool a while back, a buddy of mind is pretty into it but I found the tool to be pretty limiting as 'editing source code' programically wasn't really possible as far as I could tell and it only allowed for 'action' type games, where as I'm looking to DBP more for strategy style games, actually re-creating table top and board games with 3d interfaces and possibly trying my hand at an FPS or Dungeon Crawl style game (aka diablo style). Would X-quad help or hinder me in my efforts? Mind you Im not affraid of coding, but naturally anything that speeds up development of a game idea is preferable.

Any input from X-Quad users would be greatly appriciated!

I also wanted to take a moment and thank the community for answering some of my questions in previous posts, I can't say enough about how generous this community is with information and input.

www.playhardliveeasy.blogspot.com
Math89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2009 14:34
I haven't tried XQuad, but if I think you can have access to the sources of your game, and thus, change it in DBPro.
I'm not sure you can create strategy games directly in XQuad, but it could help you placing the entities on your map and give some basic features of your engine (such as moving a character or attacking).
xguild
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes its kind of a strange thing with X-Quad. There doesn't appear to be so many people using it and from at least the description it would seem to be a bridge between 'visual' editing and 'programing'. To me it sounded really great as personally I find that if you create some basic visuals it acts as a great motivator and idea producer for programing efforts... aka "Hey it would be great if ...."

I agree though as I read through the forums that X-quad does appear to be geared more towards 'fps' style games then anything else.

I'm just kind of overwhelmed at the moment being new to the DarkBasic scene with all of the possible tools and options. Its exciting but intimidating at the same time. I have so many projects I want to do but in the same token I'm trying to force myself to think as small as possible as I know that the big problem among the amature development community is that there are so many projects that have been started and never finished.

I'm actually kind of hoping to find someone like myself just starting out to collaborate with as I think any project in which two people are involved has 1000% more chance of being completed.

www.playhardliveeasy.blogspot.com
den in spain
Years of Service
User Offline
I was interested in seeing what it could do, with a few to possibly purchasing, so I downloaded the demo....only to be told it wont run....I read through the forums and apparently it wont run without some other download....???

Is it stand alone or isnt it? I have come to the conclusion its non-professional rubbish. Maybe I'm wrong but either a demo works or it doesnt. If it needs other downloads, it should say so (I only found out about the additional download requirement by reading through the forums here)... seems like back bedroom software by some hopefuls, but for me, my credit card has gone back into my wallet....I'll stick with dark basic pro.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 08:21:47
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 08:21:47