Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / My first real project attempt, Bards like interface and movement

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm pretty much as newbie as they come, but I have completed several tutorials and I'm feeling the need to actually do something with some of the basic skills I have learned. I feel a bit stupid however constantly asking questions on the forums in different posts so i thought I would focus on a project and post my questions here so that if anyway feels like helping out a newbie they can without me littering the forums with questions.

I created a little newbie project for myself that I'm pretty sure I will be able to acomplish. I thought it might be helpful for other newbies to follow along, but keep in mind this is NOT a tutorial, this is simply a newbie doing a project in the open to benefit others that might be learning and hopefully pick up a few pointers from more experianced programers.

I have outlined the project goals and tasks Below.

Project: Bards Tale Interface & Movement Functionality

Goal: The goal of this project is to create a bards tale like interface with a display window dedicated to showing tile based movement in an enviroment controled by the arrow keys.

Example: Included is a screenshot of the orignal bards tale interface. We are going to be focusing on creating the window that displays the location and re-creating the movement with the arrow keys.

Graphics Assets
The following graphics assets will be created for the purpose of this project.

Display Window Border: A basic border that will go around our central display of the enviroment.
Additional Window Borders: A title border, a 'action window' border and a 'character window border' will be created as place holders for future expansions of this project.
Tile Based Enviroment: A simple 3d tile based enviroment which the game will 'walk around in'.

Coding Assets
The following are the sections of code that need to be written.

* Initial setup for the project. Setting up the the screen resolution and basic stuff to ensure the enviroment works as it should.

* Loading and placing the graphics assets in the correct area.

* Loading up images, positioning images and ensuring they are aligned.

* Create 3d Enviroment: Need to create a basic 3d enviroment in which to walk around in.

* Creat collision detection

* Add Skybox (might be too advanced for me but I put it in there anyway)

* Loading the 3d enviroment and displaying it in the main display window. This should include any code to position it in the window.

* Creating the arrow key movment functionality including appropriate camera angels. This should allow me to walk around fluidly in the enviroment.

* Making the movement in the enviroment tile based rather then fluid.

That's about it for what I plan to do with the project.

This is my current code as of July 4th

www.playhardliveeasy.blogspot.com

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Asteric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2009 21:19 Edited at: 5th Jul 2009 21:21
Just a pointer, you don't need to make a camera, you can just use the default camera 0.

So to use up less space, you could do this

xguild
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for that advice, actually I caused myself a headache trying to figuire it out and about 2 minutes after I found out that there is a default camera 0 I saw your post.

This is the most recent code, I added a couple of things to the movement controls as I wanted to track the facing direction as I think it will be nescessary for me to know which way I'm facing when I begin other parts of the mini project here.

Newbie Alert
xguild
Years of Service
User Offline
Lates updated.

I have now moved the main display into the left corner in classic bards tale style. I have also slowed the movement into "move click" style of bards tale and made it so that you can only turn at full 90 degree angles.. I also added placeholders for the action text area and the character area.

I included a screenshot of the interface as it is today.

Here is the code.

Newbie Alert

Attachments

Login to view attachments
xguild
Years of Service
User Offline
In regards to the project now I have a couple of questions for anyone following it.

1st. Regarding sprites. In this particular case I attempted to use a sprite instead of paste image. Of course now I have the problem that I can 'print' text to the interface which is a bit of an issue. However when I do replace the 'sprite' with 'paste image' the bitmap does not appear. Is there something else I must do to the image to prepare it to be displayed?

2nd. Regarding the 'wait' command as a way to simulate the pause when a key is 'pressed and held'. Are there any darkbasic commands that can force a break in the key hold. Another words make it so that if you press and hold a key, only the first 'press' is executed and the rest ignored. I think the wait command is going to create problems down the line as it waites the program as a whole which I don't think is the right way to do it.

Thanks for any help in advance!!

I'm not going to refer to the project in versions just for clarity so the current version is Bard.v003. Haven't changed anything since the last post.

Newbie Alert

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 08:32:37
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 08:32:37