Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Where to start?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey people. Just wondeirng where I should start. I've done a bit of programming in the past and pretty much know nothing about c++. I've noticed tutorials about specific things but where do I start??

Am I jumpinh into something too compliacated or is it easy to learn? Also, how do you design your characters etc..

Haha, my heads gonna blow soon so many questions =)

Peace all.

=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2009 12:43
There are lots of tutorials here on the forums, theres a couple of stickied threads about.

It really depends on what kind of things you want to make.

I find it helps to write down everything you want, plan your game, then split it up into stuff you can do, and stuff you need to learn.

A good place to start would be to make a simple game like pong or something.

As for models, you will need a modeller (such as blender or truespace, both of which are free), and a whole lot of patience

Hope that helps

Without Music or Love the world would be a very empty place... Thank god I still have music.. --'-<@
Disc330
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2009 16:26
I think that from the very begining, you should look through the examples that are relevant to your intrests and just run them and read through the code so you can understand whats going on.

Once you understand a bit of it, save it as a copy and fiddle with the code to see if you can make it work differently.

It really depends on your preffered learnng methods though I guess, personally I would lose motivation if I am told to do something, I feel much more proud if I learn it myself, but I must admit that sometimes I have to head over to the codebase and see how other people have come up with similar code so I can compare and hopefully learn more!

The first few things I would suggest learning are the basic 3d commands in the examples, as they are used so widely that you have to have a bit of an understanding to learn more.

As =PRoF= stated, to make characters, or any thing on the screen, you will have to use other software. I hope modeling is something you enjoy, because it can take a long time to crete them to a good standard... or you could just buy them.

If you want to know more, go ahead and ask. I will try my best to answer anything and if I can't I'm sure someone on here will be able to.

Have fun!
Asteric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2009 19:56 Edited at: 8th Jul 2009 19:56
Im quite new but i will write in some basic commands that are mostly used

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2009 23:41
You mention C++ what are you looking to learn?

Raybrite2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2009 06:36
If you are going to get Truespace, you better do it soon. They are taking it off the Internet for some reason.
Also download the manual and if you have enough paper and ink, print it out. I have been printing it all morning and it is well over 700 pages. There are also tutorials and a vfew videos for it as well.
By all means check out their forum. They have a new one starting so it may be awhile before it is straightened out again.
Good Luck. I am also just starting out.
Miansc
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey guys, sorry for latee reply! I'll be back on shortly thanks for the replys btw.

Miansc
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok so I have GDK for c++, now I'm gonna download truespace. With truespace I can then start designing like guns characters landscape etc.. right ... Then i can incorparate that into my c++ code some how i am hopeing right lol.

Miansc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2009 11:40 Edited at: 21st Jul 2009 09:21
**accident**

Miansc
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey guys, I'm watching the free video tut on pong, I"m confused.. I didn't know there was a dark basic I thought u just coded games through c++ (new porject-> dark GDK)

Geeee : (

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 08:28:01
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 08:28:01