Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Dark or C++?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Me and some buddies are gonna make a game, but there is one problem: We can't agree on what software we should use.
We are gonna make a big game, so we can't use stuff like 3D rad and all that. Here's the situation:

Them: Say they are going to learn C++ and make the game there.
Me: Buy Super game creator pack and make the game there.

What's best? And please, give a reason on why it's best too.
Renegade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2003 11:25 Edited at: 21st Aug 2003 11:26
Im advicing for you guys to go with DB.
C++ is much better but C++ can't stand alone
in a game you will also need OpenGL or DirectX
for graphics and there is the networking programming
and much more.
If this is your first time that you make a game
use DB because its a alot faster.
If you want you can also use 3D Game Stodio
[href]www.3dgamestudio.com[/href]

lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2003 20:52
rofl, Good luck with em learning c++ and making a game with in the next 5 years!

HippieRedneck
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, that's what i said too. They are still going " Oh no, i aint using that much money on DarkBasic! I would rather use my cracked version of C++ and learn it, i bet it's really easy!" It's gonna take ages! Anyone know how i can talk them to sence?
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2003 21:45
Threaten to make them write cobol

Got a knack for finding secrets ??? Jingot Racing --- A new brand of Racing --- Only from Nightwatch Studios
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2003 22:35
I'd go for DBPro too. ALthough people say they are going to learn C++, they will never do. It is well known as a game creator, but also well known as being ENTREMEMLY tricky to use.

I have next to me a 952 page book on how to write games in C++. That only covers up to basic 2D

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

There are 10 people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
zao420
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2003 00:55
I was looking into learning c++ for maing games. maybe one day i will, but there is a lot to learn. i find dbp so much easier i also use vb script lots to so i know all about loops and if's.. anyway i would choose dbp to get the basics of how to make games. then if dbp doesn't satify your needs go will c++
ifman1
Years of Service
User Offline
Ya know, I bought DBPro to do prototyping for games that I plan to do in C++/OpenGL. I grew up programming BASIC for the Commodore and then in DOS with BASIC and QBASIC. I have the hardest time wrapping my brain around C/C++, especially Windows Code. There are a ton of programs, engines, and tutorials on the web to teach you game programming with C++. Although, like lcfcfan said... don't expect to just jump into it like you can DB. DB is simple, it's easy, and it's <ahem> BASIC.

Why don't you let them get C++ (cracked or a free compiler.. suggest the free one to avoid legal stuff)and you get DB(I'd get PRO), and in about 6 months compare what you've gotten done. I think it'll probably take them that long to get the hang of creating and resizing a window.

Now, if Lee would just get out from under DirectX and use OpenGL so we can go cross platform.... but hey... beggars can't be choosers, huh.

Sex Junky... Looking for a Dealer!
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2003 06:01
Tell them to look at the DB showcase
Some pretty awesome games there. It only takes about 10% of the time it takes to make a game in C++

Xander
Bolt of Bolt Software Productions

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 19:34:23
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 19:34:23