Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Texture Object

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2009 20:35
Hi,

I am trying to texture an object which is saved in the direct X format from within DarkBASIC.

I have tried doing this using the Texture Object command but although the object changes colour, the colour it changes into is a stange colour which is only vaguely related to the texturing. In other words, all detail on the texture is lost. I was wondering why this is and whether there is anything I can do about it.

Many thanks,

Lucas Tiridath
bobbel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2009 20:38
Maybe you should play around a bit with the command SCale Object Texture, so you can scale it smaller to give it more detail. ANd the color could be the lighting, but play around a bit with that command a bit

Oh No, there's too much blood in my caffeine system!
Stack Overflow: Too many pancakes...
The programmer's national anthem is 'AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH'. -Weinberg, p.152
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Is this a UV mapped object? Are you just texturing it with a basic texture like a rock face? A picture of both object and texture may be useful too.

http://s6.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=103081
Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2009 10:14
Thanks for your responses,

I have had a go with the Scale Object Texture, varying it from 0.002 up to 20 but it had no effect. I don't think it can be the lighting as I have done nothing with the lighting and the colour does change a little when the texture is changed.

I'm not really sure what you mean about a UV mapped object but if you mean have I used Scale Object Texture, then yes.

Here is a link to the program which I am trying to get this to work in with all textures included so that you can run it. The idea is that you can select a skin colour and the cat will change its fur colour.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Lucas Tiridath
bobbel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2009 10:49
I think it's the objects you made. i succeded loading them into my editor and texturing with another texture, and it was still brown, or blue, or any other colored texture i chose from.

Oh No, there's too much blood in my caffeine system!
Stack Overflow: Too many pancakes...
The programmer's national anthem is 'AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH'. -Weinberg, p.152
Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2009 11:22
Right....

Well I made the objects in AC3D from TGC but as they are in direct X format, the program I used to make them probably makes little difference.

Do you think there is anything I can do? Is it the nature of the objects or do you think a different object creator or file format might help?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Lucas Tiridath
Scorpyo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2009 12:00
It has to do with how you did set the material properties and the UV mapping in the modeler:

In AC3D there should be a way to assign a material to the object and set it to this :

ambient: 100%
diffuse: 100%
specular: 0%
emissive: 0%

maybe you can set those in DBP directly, not sure.

Additionally you must set the UV texturing coordinates in AC3D even though you don't texture the object.

I use Milkshape, but basically all modelers work alike for object creation.

cheers.
Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2009 11:13
Thank you for your help. The game is now working correctly now that I have set ambient, diffuse, specular and emissive as you have suggested.

Thanks once again,

Lucas Tiridath

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 08:31:16
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 08:31:16