Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / free screen shot dll

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2009 21:01
hi all i have just made a simple dll to capture the back buffer , it means you can capture a good clear screenshot in game and save it to 5 image types .

It captures everything onscreen eg cameras, fullscreen shaders, etc without capturing the mouse pointer and overlapped windows .

also now i can do this i am working on making it add the files straight to an avi for fullscreen video capture .

Attached is dll,keyword ini , and example , please let me know if there is any bugs .

thanks chunks.

nvidia geforce 9500gt + amd athlon 64
windows vista ultimate.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Phjon
Years of Service
User Offline
chunks chunks,

I have tried out your dll on a simple rotating cube program. Although it captures the screen OK, it is rather on the slow side, operating at about 5 frames per second when used in the code snippet below:

The .exe generated used "Windowed Mode" at a screen resolution of 640 x 480.

PC Specs:

Windows XP SP2
4GB RAM
Intel Quad Core 2.41Ghz
nVidia GeForce 8800GTS 320MB

--------------------------------------

You may be interested to know that I have created a similar .dll to do the same job, and under the same conditions, it runs at about 55-60 FPS. Would you like me to post this .dll somewhere, and perhaps the code?

I am at some point thinking of modifying my .dll to use the DirectDraw system to retrieve the images. I know VirtualDub uses this method, and it does seem to operate at a higher FPS rate that using the GDI-based system. Perhaps this might be a good way to go if you're thinking about modifying your own .dll for video capture.
chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2009 23:49
It wasn`t really intended for use like that , rather just to capture a single screenshot instead of messing with print screen / paste in paint jobby .

Anyways when i modify this the images will be stored in a buffer then written to avi , which should be much faster.

thanks for trying it and i would like to see your dll/code sometime ,it might help me with this project.

also i would like to ask you , can you mix d3d with direct draw ,i`m not sure because i have never used directdraw .

thanks chunks.

windows vista ultimate.
Phjon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2009 00:15 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2009 00:52
chunks chunks,

I know it wasn't intended for the use as described in the code snippet: I just wanted to see how it compared to my dll, and thought that if you were using the principles that the dll is using to capture images in rapid succession, then it might be a bit on the slow side.

Hopefully the buffering system you've described will help performance-wise.

----------------------------------------------

It should be possible to use DirectDraw and D3D commands at the same time, as I think a number of DirectDraw commands are actually called by D3D internally (I might be wrong on that point though).

----------------------------------------------

Edit: .zip uploaded with the dll, dll source code and an example project.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2009 01:07
cool thanks i will take a look at that , tommorow though a bit tired now .

chunks

windows vista ultimate.
N3wton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 01:15
hey chunks

another great dll, by my best dll creater dude

just wondered I liked what Phjon was kinda doing by taking lots of images, wondered if you could make a dll that alloud you to make videos, e.g .avi files? though they would be massive, and i bet compressing them would be a pain...

anyways just an idea, if you ever get boerd

yours
N3wton

chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 17:23
I am in the process of doing just that, just getting to grips with the video for windows api , i can already make an uncommpressed avi out of the 3d scene all be it a little slow , i now need to suss out render targets in direct3d so it wont affect the speed of the program , we will see what happens because i have just started on another project so this will have to wait a little ,i heard that the dark video is adding recording with there superb compression , so i don`t think many people will be wanting uncompressed avi recording .

Anyways if i do manage to get it working how i want it will be free .

chunks.

windows vista ultimate.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 22:18:03
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 22:18:03