Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / How do i create my own level editor.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2009 17:31 Edited at: 29th Jul 2009 17:35
Hi, i made this thread:

And i was directed to this thread. Below are some posts that where on the thread.

Quote: "most people program their own level editors which has features specific to their game.
Go to the Newcomers forums and read the tutorials there and learn the language and its capabilities. Start small with Pong or Space Invaders to get some coding under your belt. Once you've done that these general questions will answer themselves, and you can ask more specific questions."

So, basically i'm looking for a tutorial(s) that start off by basic code and ends up coding my own programs...(level editor) Also i would like to know how to code games in general. I think that i really need to do this so i can make my game very very good (better basically)

Thanks alot.

www.fpsccentral.co.nr <- Models, media and much much more.
kuljot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2009 02:10
Well do you want to make 2d games or 3d. Main thing is learn about variables,loops,if statements,functions, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Gateway GT5628 Quad Core Desktop Intel Core 2 Q6600 2.4GHz Quad Core 3072MB RAM / 500GB 7200 SATA II Hard drive DVD RW 18X multi dual NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT ....
tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2009 06:49
There's a sticky in this forum for Tutorials. Check those out.

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
kuljot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2009 09:05
level editor might be to advanced for a begginer. Just make some basic games first.

Gateway GT5628 Quad Core Desktop Intel Core 2 Q6600 2.4GHz Quad Core 3072MB RAM / 500GB 7200 SATA II Hard drive DVD RW 18X multi dual NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT ....
Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
well, first you'll need ta know the basics (if you know all of this, then ignore me, it's just a basic checklist)

variables
Loops
Functions
Subroutines (gosub)
while loops
for loops
arrays
types
type arrays
Trigonometry (maybe not necessary, but for me, everything is more straightforward, and you can get alot more done using trig)

Once you know all that, you'll be sailing steady to make a game. Besides that list, you should probably know the basics of "move object", "position object", "make object (sphere/cube/box)", and "delete object".
Gingerkid Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2009 10:49
And for level editor:

Read/Write commands

Jack

TheCleverGuyz
zeroSlave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2009 18:01 Edited at: 30th Jul 2009 18:47
First, sketch out your ideas and write notes: Plot, Characters, Abilities, Enemies, Powerups, Locations, styles, etc.

Then, I would start by deciding how the game will be played that you will be making. (2d/2.5D/3D : Platform/FPS/RPG/RTS, etc.)

Then, make a simple level and maybe a few objects that will be in the game with blender or 3dsmax or photoshop, or notepad, or etc.
(Make sure to take notes on what and how you created these things.)

Now, work on creating a basic game engine for that style (moving, sliding, jumping, shooting, etc.)(again, notes)

Then test -> debug -> test -> debug -> test -> debug -> etc.-> etc.

Quote: "most people program their own level editors which has features specific to their game."

THEN, start working on a level editor. (Taking your design notes into consideration.) It sure would suck to make an editor without knowing what you will be using it for and what objects you will be using and then have to redo the whole thing because it doesn't have the functionality you would have liked.

Then test -> debug -> test -> debug -> test -> debug -> etc.-> etc.

Anyways, just my two pence.

There's something in this room that makes you can't speak well.
cguy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2009 05:52
Oooh...level editor. Sounds cool! Like kuljot said, it may be a little too advanced unless you recoginze the basic so generously outlined by Neuro Fuzzy. Try making this a main project, but also do small projects on the side to build up experience. I'm anxious to see what you come up with!

Do we all have to put stupid jokes here?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 08:22:18
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 08:22:18