Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Can limb pivots be used for rotation?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,
I have noticed that when one tries to rotate a limb from certain model, it rotates around the 0 coordinate and not the pivot point stablished in the 3d program. Im using update from November 08, so I dont know if thats still like this, but anyway, isnt there a way to rotate limbs around their pivot like before?
Thanks for any help

PS Im using 3d Studio Max 7 and Panda exporter with the recommended configuration to export the models
Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2009 03:48
I think there are command to allow the changing of limb pivot points ?(not sure)

I would personally use EZRotate though, as they have a bunch of command to allow various objects and limbs to rotate around a vector or a specific point on its axis. Otherwise you may be in for a crash course on trig

If it ain't broke.... DONT FIX IT !!!
sydbod
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2009 04:05
Are you sure your model is rigged properly.

In your installation of DarkGDK, there will be a tank model called "L-Tank.x".

Use it with this sample code and see if the turret and barrel function as they should.

If things work properly for that tank model and the code, then the problem you are facing is probably in yur created model.
mortar
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Mista Wilson, well I have considered using external libraries for this but for now I would prefer to stick with standard package, and well... some day I will re-new my trig knowledge =)

Sydbod, thanks for providing the code for this, it worked perfect, and even in my incredulity I loaded another DarkMatter model to see if they behave right and yeah, unless they had some hidden geometry or pivot objects, I think they work perfect here, then... what am I doing wrongly? I mean obviously is a thing with the configuration of my model but I wonder what should I do ¿? I always reset the Xform before linking limbs and the panda exporter options are ok (I think, not sure), any suggestion? the limbs I create rotate all around 0 coordinate unless they are linked to some dummy objects which increases the polycount and is a pain to handle of course
sydbod
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2009 19:56
Well..... there you have me.
I am also battling with how to create a proper rigged *.X model.
There has to be a way in a modeling program to specify a 3D point as the particular (0,0,0) point of any child mesh. Likewise there has to be a way to specify the parent mesh of any child mesh within a modeling program.
How this is done .... I just don't know, as I am having the same problem as you.
It would be a Question that should be asked in one of the 3D modeling forums.
mortar
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, thats true, but what seems odd to me is that I can spot the limb pivot point with dbLimbPositionX/Y/Z commands, and that point seems correct to my expectations, but that point seems correct only according to its position, because when they rotate, they just pick 0 coordinate of the whole model or the 0 coordinate of the parent limb, have you noticed that too? I dont know if that just me or my imagination but I think that used to work better (in a correct way) before

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-06 07:23:00
Your offset time is: 2024-10-06 07:23:00