Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / About memblocks

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2009 00:27
Hello everyone!

I searched whole forum and I didn't find any useful . I see on forum a lot of themes about memblocks,memblock meshes, memblock sounds and it looks pretty useful.... So I want to ask you:

1) What is memblock exactly and when and how is it used.
2) What I can write in/on memblock and which size I must give to memblock.
3) Can you explain me, what is memblock mesh and fvf format.
4) Is there any tutorial about memblocks and all that stuffs.

Thanks, if you will or you will try to answer me.

I have software and now I am ready to make DLL files
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2009 00:58 Edited at: 9th Aug 2009 00:58
Memblocks (memory blocks) are basically blocks of - you guessed it - memory.
It's an area within the computer's RAM used to read and write to at high pace. As such you can for example do very quick editing of images, sounds or meshes by manipulating their memblock data.

You can write anything to a memblock, as far as I know (certain things might have to be split up into bytes (or some other data types) first, such as strings though); the size of the memblock is dependant on how much data you need to write to it (or in case of a pre-existing memblock, how much data it contains).

A memblock mesh is a memory representation of a mesh, and as such holds information about each vertice's position in relation to the centre of the mesh, etc. The FVF format represents how the vertice data is stored in the memblock (the most common one in DBP is 338, which is documented in the help for make mesh from memblock).

Finally, there are plenty of tutorials on memblocks around here, I believe. I don't know any particularily good one off the top of my head though.

Good luck learning - memblocks are really useful once you get them

MummyKillerSLO
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2009 02:02
Thanks very very much for that explanations!

I have one more question: So if that is within computer RAM, what will be if i make very very big memblock or a lot of them to maximum ram size... Will then my computer crash because memblocks will "take" all ram and other applications such as explorer.exe wont have it for running?

*Sorry my english

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2009 02:57 Edited at: 9th Aug 2009 02:57
Quote: "I have one more question: So if that is within computer RAM, what will be if i make very very big memblock or a lot of them to maximum ram size... Will then my computer crash because memblocks will "take" all ram and other applications such as explorer.exe wont have it for running?"

If you try to make a memblock too large you'll get an error and you're app will close. However the limit is far larger than any size you'll ever need.

i like orange
MummyKillerSLO
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2009 02:58
ok, thanks

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 08:32:08
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 08:32:08