Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / what can I use to edit 3d for Dark Basic Help please !!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2003 02:25
SO I know I'm stupid but I use photoshop & paintshop & made quite a lot of silly little animated gifs until I got hooked on the idea of trying to pretend to be a programmer. I have lots of trial software for 3d animation, eg 'simply 3d' 'milkshape 3d' 'trispective' but none will let me work on Dark Basic files nor will DB accept their formats. Ideas on where I look, can't afford software at moment, so is there a programme to change to the only format standard D B appears to use
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2003 04:46
http://www.wings3d.com

Try that, its what I use, its free, and it has a UV mapper. No animation commands though.

Hell Begins September 2nd at 7:30 AM. Yep, schools starting soon.
Falelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2003 05:14 Edited at: 24th Aug 2003 05:15
WHen your ready to animate it use Character FX
Renegade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2003 05:40
Got a little question about wings3D
can put a texture that I made in lets say photoshop
on my model through wings or do I need another software?
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2003 05:52
You CAN use milkshape, just save your project as the ms3d, then Export it as a "Direct X 8" file and it will become a thefilename.x to use in DBP. You can also make worlds in Milkshape, save it, export the X file, then use the exe in the DBP Tools directory to convert to BSP format. If you want to make BSP's directly then I'd suggest Valve Hammer Editor 3.4 and read 3Dimension Chat Forum (Ultimate BSP Thread, and my thread which has some corrections in it)

-RUST-
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2003 17:26
@Renegade:

You can UV map in Wings3D. Select the limb you want to texture, right click, select UV Mapping, Segment by Projection, Continue Unfolding, Apply Texture, Quit. Simple as that. When you export the 3ds, it'll export the basic outline for the texture.

lothlorien
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2003 00:53
will try wings.com. Thanks !! trouble with milkshape is that I can't save as an .X file & standard DB only appears to accept those.
There are some great models even in standard DB but I can't find a prog. to read them. eg. dimensions (for collision) & wan't to at least add my own textures.
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2003 01:30
if by Standard DB, you mean Dark Basic Classic, it'll accept .3ds files, which I'm sure milkshape can export.

MicroMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2003 09:36
Milkshape can export .3ds files which DBP can read. However you do need to EXPORT and not SAVE the files.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 21:38:53
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 21:38:53