Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / A Div coming from DIV

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Dunno if anyone here remembers DIV game studio? really enjoyed messing about with that but abandoned it because of it being DOS only. It seems a shame as it seemed a pretty powerful language with a steady learning curve. I have a couple of questions that I wonder if anyone here can answer.

Does DarkBasic have the same kind of procedure calls? i.e. you can call an object into being and it operates independently of the main code?

Where’s the best resource for beginners? I have searched around and the tutorials seem to all start the same and then go off on one. I understand variables, operators, arrays, loops, conditions all the basic stuff. I just need a dark basic for idiots or something.

Thanks for your time
Hadleyshope
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok here is something I knocked together, obviously very very simple. But for instance how would you now have a circle moving of its own accord bouncing around the screen? I cant imagine that it would all need to be in the same mail code as it would start to slow down pretty quick!

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2009 18:50 Edited at: 20th Aug 2009 18:50
Quote: "Does DarkBasic have the same kind of procedure calls? i.e. you can call an object into being and it operates independently of the main code?"

No, when you create an object the SYNC command will render it automatically, but for the object to do anything (like move around), you must put code in the main loop.

Quote: "Where’s the best resource for beginners?"

I think this is a good one:
http://www.madladdesigns.co.uk/extras/DBProGuide.pdf

Welcome, by the way .

Hadleyshope
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for taking the time to post, its really appreciated.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2009 20:27 Edited at: 20th Aug 2009 20:31
Simple bouncing circle:

Quote: "Where’s the best resource for beginners?"

Did you try looking at the tutorials thread at the top of the forum?

Quote: "i.e. you can call an object into being and it operates independently of the main code?"

That *can* be done with the use of my plug-ins, but it's advanced stuff and I wouldn't suggest that you go there just yet.

Hadleyshope
Years of Service
User Offline
Coolio, thanks all

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 10:32:57
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 10:32:57