Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Problem with compiling in release mode.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
When i try to compile something in release mode my system gives me a hard time. Before you ask, yes, i'm sure it's my system's fault because the code i'm trying to compile has been compiled in release mode on two other systems and neither of them had any problems doing it. So first of, when i start compiling i get this message:

When i click yes, it enters the game normaly and starts with the menu screen, which is only a single sprite. Then when you press space it should enter the actual game, which has moving sprites etc.
but it doesn't, instead it crashes and i get the following message:

if i press continue the same message shows up again. If i press break i get this:

And that's it! Has anyone got any idea what's wrong?
Thanks in advance!

I just love the smell of code in the morning...
Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2009 18:41
It means you are trying to do something illegal somewhere in your program. Check how you are using your variables and where they are being used, that you have initialized them before checking them, that kind of thing... and that you arent doing anything illegal with them..

The first pic though isnt an error, its a message, just telling yuo the program isnt built with debug info, you arent really supposed to debug programs in release mode, thats why there is a debug mode .... note, to use the debug mode, you will need to tell it to use the multi-threaded lib, and not the multi-threaded-debug lib.

If it ain't broke.... DONT FIX IT !!!
Wizz
Years of Service
User Offline
But how can other people compile the same code in release mode? I had two other people compile the same exact code in release mode and it worked fine for them. And also if there was anything illegal in the code, wouldn't it already tell me that when i try to compile it in debug mode? (I compile everything in debug mode first, but sooner or later i want to use the release mode when the project is finished right?)

Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2009 20:09
First off, don't just press F5 to run the program if it's compiled in Release mode. Press Ctl-F5. Maybe the other people are doing this and you're not.

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office
Wizz
Years of Service
User Offline
Tried ctrl+f5, doesn't work. Ok i'm clearly a beginner so i'm going to make sure i'm doing everything right here. First i choose "debug" in the drop-down menu next to the "play" button and press F5. And the program works. Than, i choose "release" in the drop-down menu and press ctr+F5. And it doesn't work. Am i doing everything as i'm supposed to? Also a bit of information that might help: I have been sent an exe file of the code compiled in release mode, that has been compiled on someone else's computer. And if i tried to run the exe file it also freezed.

Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2009 01:52
hmm, it could be some strange software conflict or corruption on your system i guess... it seems strange though.. check that you have the directx sdk installed properly, and that your system is up to date with its various drivers...

To be honest, I dont have any ideas other than it must be a problem with your software or system. If an exe and code will run and compile fine on other pc's but not yours, then it would have to be something on your end causing the problem, im just not sure what exactly could do it...

Wizz
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay... thanks anyway, i'm getting a new system in about a month so it's not a really huge problem. If anyone else has a clue on this, please let me know.

Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2009 03:49
I cant suggest what could be the cause, but if you dont mind spending the time, there is a few things you could try to help eliminate the problem.

You could un-install and re-install everything, making sure that when you re-install its done in the correct order, which is :

1. Update any and all Drivers, graphics card, motherboard, network and DirectX redist. the whole lot.(shouldnt really matter if your drivers are at least recent, but its good to keep them updated anyway)
2. Visual Studio(make sure it's run at least once after it's installed and before anything else is installed, it needs to set some environment variables for itself)
3. DirectX SDK August 2007
4. DarkGDK
5. Any addons that you use.

That might not make a difference, if it doesnt, then at least you will know that the problem isnt related to your software installation and is more than likely related to either a software driver not playing nicely, or a hardware conflict....

What kind of PC are you using ? Is it a standard desktop type pc, or is it a notebook type ? (just asking as notebook hardware can sometimes cause strange conflicts in graphics apps) If its a desktop, how old is the hardware in it ? Could it be a conflict because of the age of hardware do you think ?

Sorry if none of that helps, im just throwing ideas at you, maybe something will help fix the problem for you, I know that the whole installation and uninstallation thing can be a pain in the backside and take ages, but like I said, at least it would eliminate your software as the cause.

Good Luck, this is definately a strange problem and I hope you can get it sorted

Wizz
Years of Service
User Offline
Mr. Wilson, thank you for your time. I will go ahead and reinstall everything. Also i'm using a notebook and when i buy a new system it will be a notebook. I need a notebook cause i have a mentor in school that's teaching me c++ and i also stay there for a whole week in a dormatory, so i need a notebook to work there. I'm reinstalling the software i'll let you know of the outcome.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-06 07:36:06
Your offset time is: 2024-10-06 07:36:06