Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / How to make Music

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2003 12:14
I was just wondering how do you make your music.
Because I would like to make my own music for my games but don't know how.

Could you please help?

RPG_Freak.
FNG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2003 13:11
Well I'll tell you what I can...

IF you can play an instrument you're already on the right track. If you don't it could be a little tricky. There are primarily three popular ways of writing music for games.

The first is using the *.wav format. This will provide you with the best sound quality. The draw backs are that it takes up a lot of memory plus the music must be recorded. You can take samples and loop them using something like acid pro, or you could get a true recording program (I use Pro Tools), for basic PC recording I'd say to try and get a version of cakewalk. As long as you have a good sound card you should be able to use the input jack to record sounds. Only other problem is that without studio quality equipment your recording won't sound as good as what you can buy at the store.

Midi (*.mid) files are also common. Midi files use the tone generator on your sound card to produce the instrument sounds. Which quite frankly STINK. But, at the same time the files are extremely small compared to *.wav. I use Finale and my Keyboard to make any midi files I use. Finale is a really good music scoring program, but if you cannot read notes it wouldn't do you much good. There are programs that use a numeric system for writing midi. This would probably be the easiest way to go if you don't have a good musical background. I recommend using a search engine to try and find a free version of a program the works that way. Hopefully someone can point you in the right direction to download one of these programs. You can make your midi files sound better using other tone generators (i.e. midi capable keyboard,sample programs such as sound forge, or version of gigastudio)then your sound card, but I don't know of any inexpensive way to do it, routing everything can get a bit tricky also.

The Third way is using a Music Tracker program. These programs sort of combine *.wav and *.mid. You load samples of the instrument sounds into the program and then use numeric scale to change the pitch of the note. These programs have better sound quality then *.mid, because they use *.wav files as the tone generator for the pitch rather then the soundcard. They also take up more space then *.mid, but less then *.wav. I haven't messed with any tracker programs too much, but the concept is good for games that want better than midi sounds yet don't have the space for larger *.wav files. Drawback you need to get some good *.wav samples of the sounds you'll be using, or the sound quality won't be all that good.

Anyway hope this helps you understand what's out there. If you can find, or someone can direct you to,a good midi program, I think you'll be on the right track for starting to write your own music.
Redostrike
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2003 13:25
You probbley just want to put some prestet things in a place and press a button and there is a sample. Put some samples togheter and make a song. I had once a demo of Mixmaster Pro. I dunno if that is the latest version they have but i liked very much. You just put an sample and press the right button bang. If you have some music expirince you could try FruityLoops or reason i never tryed reason so i can talk about that. Fruityloops is a little harder because you need to make your Loops on your own. Well hope this helps.

Only heroes live forever.
Beatboxing Rulllllllllllzzzzzzzzzzzzz
www.redostrike-yugioh.tk
FNG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2003 13:50
Also I just noticed there is a tracker program in the program announcements part of the forum. You should check this out. There are probably quite a few people in this forum who use it. Not to mention you may be able to bother the programmers on how to use it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 21:32:57
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 21:32:57