Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / My rpg battle system (like Final Fantasy 10) is not working

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Is there anyone who can give me a sample of a battle system code. Everything else in my game is working pretty well. Its just that when I get to the battling portion everything goes down hill. I tried to download the equilibrium sample, but it wouldn't work on my PC. So, if anybody is willing to help me with a battle code that'd be great.
Andrew
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2003 23:00
Hey I'm trying to do the same thing here, but i dont want to copy Final Fantasy 10 because i want to sell it, so is it possible to make a battle code.
Hey does your game have a sort of like game where you are walking and then freezes and you are then in a battle mode
Falelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2003 23:05
remember companies cannot sue you over copying their battle code. Unless they have copyrighted the exact code and or look. Which no one does.There are a ton of games that use similar, or the same systems.

Usually the only thing they copyright is names, music, sounds, models.
Andrew
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2003 23:25
I know that but are you selling it?
If you are then people will see that it's like the same.
Renegade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2003 23:44
Redostrike
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2003 00:08
Mabey if you put the piece where there are problems on the forum peaople could help more.

Only heroes live forever.
Beatboxing Rulllllllllllzzzzzzzzzzzzz
www.redostrike-yugioh.tk
Andrew
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2003 00:10
Oh my god, yes i want to make a game like that, can you have other players too?
This game is great, tell me, have you made something like this, this is wicked.
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2003 01:10
Thats Equilibrium, it was made by Traci and Magic (never released name) back in the early ages of Classic. The source is available on their website

www.mojo-magic.co.uk

For both the battle system and the battle menu. Neither of the codes compile because

1) The battle camera was written by someone else who didnt want it released (was it Rick Vanner?)

2) They didnt want people copying it.

The menu is all REMed so it explains whats going on. The code is very complicated tho. You can download them and learn from them, but I doubt anyone will come in there and give you a full working battle system (Kentaree is working on a RPG tutorial, dunno how its going tho)

But to get you started, thats more then good enough.

RPGamer

Current Project: Eternal Destiny
Porting all files to my new computer
Andrew
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2003 01:27
MMMM i wounder if i could do it, there has to be a way of doing that, if not then I'm making a game that doesn't have a battle mode!!!
loom87
Years of Service
User Offline
so far in my battle mode I can attack, cast spells, and use items. There aren't any graphics for it yet, but it is possible to kill the enemy. The only thing is that it starts freezing in certain areas, and I can't figure out how to make the menu look like the menu in Equilibrium. I think that was probably my main problem. I looked at some of the tutorials and used the tutorial in Binary Moon(I think it was called). But I know I'm gonna start running into BIG problems when I try to add more items and spells!
loom87
Years of Service
User Offline
When I said there weren't any graphics I ment that there weren't any graphics for the weapons and stuff. You can see the character and the enemy and the matrix.
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2003 04:57
Lol always helps being able to see something

Current Project: Eternal Destiny
Porting all files to my new computer
loom87
Years of Service
User Offline
Here is my entire code for my battle .
Andrew
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2003 19:28
Did you find this easy to make, i mean did you learn to do this yourself or something?
loom87
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah I did this all by reasearching. Nobody told me how to do it. Now I'm stuck and that's why I'm here. I don't even know if there is an easier way I could have written the little code I hhave for this battle.
Andrew
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2003 20:20 Edited at: 26th Aug 2003 20:23
I'm trying to do the same thing, but i may as well not have the battle menu, you just select the magic and use it.
How did you find out about it, can you help me, also do you need this code for every 1 battle you play. because it means you wont be able to have a game like Final Fantasy with the random battles!!!
loom87
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't think I should help you because I'm here trying to get help also. I don't want to lead you astray. But I do think that you can randomly select what kind of enemy you fight by using the "random" command. And then on your map if you use the same command it will randomly select times that you will batttle.
Andrew
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2003 15:46
I dont quite understand the code that you gave out.

Say i was making a game like this, would i have to use that exact code or something?
Ads
Years of Service
User Offline
Im a big fan of rpgs. Im currently being teached the basic about 2d games. Things like inkey etc and im getting the hang of it. Where would someone even consider on how to program a battle engine?
Andrew
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2003 22:29 Edited at: 17th Sep 2003 22:30
My game is not going to be a RPG, ok making a RPG gmae is complex and great but it's actually boaring as well.
Pressing the attack button all the time just sucks.
My game is going to be 3D, plus you move around, it's better because i can have as much magic as i want.
Compare them.
RPG magic, select it, get's boaring

Not RPG magic
press a button like a and cast it

RPG battle mode
Slow, plus you get loads of monsters that appear, making you spend more time in battle mode

Not RPG battle mode
Run around, kill the enemy

See my point?
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2003 22:40
Quote: " i dont want to copy Final Fantasy 10 because i want to sell it, so is it possible to make a battle code."

No offsense, but you will not be selling anything any time soon you've just started - give us a demo then maybe we'll buy it

I will probably never sell any game either. It's not about skill in DBPro as such, just that c++ is much more developer friendly, gives you full control over the engine and allows you to develop bug free games, which is a big must when selling.

c:/dos
c:/dos run
run dos run
Andrew
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2003 23:22
I respect your answer in everyway, i agree that i have just started, but i have learnt a lot.
But i do hope that maybe in a year or two i will be able to make a great game and sell it.
I would also enjoy just making a game for myself as well, maybe if i get better i will make a game like GTA:VC

David89 how many games have you made?
Do you have any games i can play, because you seem to have the answer to most questions.
Also i still have to look a some tutorials, when making my game, because i still cant remeber all of the codes (i know what they mean) i hope i will start to remeber soon

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 01:03:51
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 01:03:51