Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / BSP and PK3 Files?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2009 04:11
Something I am wondering about is BSP and pk3 files. The "fps tutorial" in the tutorial section of DBP says that they will make my life insanely easy. This sounds good to me, but unfortunately it doesn't explain how to make them, or acquire them. If someone could shed some light on the subject I would be forever grateful.

Making my way through life one line of code at a time...
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2009 17:59
BSP maps are what Quake 3 and similar games use.

You can download free utilities to make them, just have a google.

I have found tho, that despite BSP maps having the lighting and collision automatically for you, they are limited because of it. They also take an age to load.

You'd be better off making the level in a modeling program, and learning how to do the collisions etc yourself.

Without Music or Love the world would be a very empty place... Thank god I still have music.. --'-<@
Wreckka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2009 22:45
That's what I'm gonna do, the BSP's sound like more trouble than they're worth. While we're on the topic of modelling programs, I might as well ask another question if you don't mind For making levels in a modelling program (I use AC3D) how should I go about doing it? Do I make one model file for the entire level or do I make several objects and buildings and manually place them in DBP? Thank you so much for your help, I wasn't sure if this was going to get answered or not.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2009 23:23
I think BSPs are turning into old technology. They're best for things with lots of perpendicular lines like building interiors - not things like cliffs, hills, terrain and such that most modern games have.

For building levels, you should split the level up into many smaller models. That way you can hide parts of the level the player can't see and improve performance. Make any objects in the level, like barrels and crates, seperately as well.

You can place them manually or write a level editor program that will allow you to load and place models and then save their location information so you don't have to do it through guess-and-check.

Wreckka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2009 23:40
Know of any good tutorials for writing a level editor? I have absolutely no idea where to even start.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2009 00:06
Check out some of the basic tutorials at the top of this board. I don't know how much experience you have, but you'll definitely need a knowledge of program structures like IF statements, loops, arrays, and User-Defined types to attempt any kind of project in DarkBASIC.

Wreckka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2009 00:28
I am decently experienced, but certainly no expert. I have hit yet another roadblock though :/ I am trying to create a simple house that you can walk around in, but since it is a single object the collision detection won't let me walk through the door. *sigh* The feeling of helplessness is a sad feeling indeed.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2009 00:34
Do you have Sparky's Collision DLL? Use that, DB's built-in collision kinda stinks.

Wreckka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2009 01:04
Yes, I do have Sparky's DLL, but I'm not sure what to do after I put it in the user folder. The only collision commands I know are Automatic Object Collision and Automatic Camera Collision...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 10:31:16
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 10:31:16