Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / I haven't been able to load my fpsc level in darkbasic pro trial, doesn't seem to work

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2009 05:31 Edited at: 2nd Sep 2009 07:46
I just downloaded the trial of DarkBasic Pro, and I am trying to load a fpsc level into it just to test. I've followed the online video tutorials exactly, but I don't think it works right! Or theres something else (darnit).

I obviously use Lee Bambers code from this url but dunno what to think:
http://www.darkgamestudio.com/movies.php

Why won't it work? I followed all the directions in the tutorial "exactly". Still cannot get it to work and load the level. What else do I need to do? Anyone know? Is it outdated code or something? Do I need to shun my reg-ver of fpsc and download only the "free version" just to get the code to work?

Or is it because of incompatibilities between dbpro and fpsc, and/ or using trial versions of db-pro????

Please help? A little more insight into this would be helpful if anyone knows, or knows what I mean.
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2009 06:50
Why doesn't it work? Can you post what error messages you get?

ash grinder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2009 07:36 Edited at: 2nd Sep 2009 07:44
My apalogies.

I begin a new project in DB Pro (trial) and call it sey (mytestgame), then create a new level in FPSC (fullversion). But because I am just testing to try to get this to work, and with keeping with the tutorial above - I run test game, then copy both the levelbank and texturebank foldrs from FPSC into the DBPro 'mytestgame' folder. The only stuff in the fpsc-level are the walls, floors, ceiling and static lights.

I use the code below to try to load the fpsc level (the only code thats' in the project):

When I goto run the project in dbpro, an error comes up that says: Could not understand command at line 6. (The load static objects "levelbanktestleveluniverse.dbo",0 code is highlighted.) Don't know what other command to use.

Also tried just using "load object "hhjhjhjhj" but still doesn't jibe anything.

Do you know what I am doing wrong here? I realize the code in the tutorial was apparently written sometime in 2006-07 but shouldn't it still work?

I want to try to understand this better, but need to be able to perform this tutorial, as it will greatly help my understanding. Any thoughts? Much obliged.
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2009 16:24
Wow, that's weird highlighted but not recognized? I'd say it's probably because you have the trial - I thought the STATIC OBJECT commands were added in a later version, maybe I'm wrong though, seeing as it is highlighted. Hopefully someone with more information will see this.

ash grinder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2009 19:39
Its definitely a strange thing. I used FPSC (which is my regular editor) and is updated with the latest updates. As far as I know, I used the DB-Pro trial downloaded from the Game Creators website.

Don't know what version their running though. Perhaps the "dbpro trial" won't or doesn't permit or allow this.
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2009 19:54
It's mostly because the trial is a past version, recent updates have probably changed how this works so it no longer works in older versions.

ash grinder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2009 21:04 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2009 01:59
Hi BMacZero, just tried something and downloaded and installed the dbpro 7_4 update (even though I use the trial of dbpro).

That took care of the errors wherever they were coming from, but now when the game compiles and runs the screen is all black.

Its too bad I cannot see it - just want to see how an fpsc level looks when run from it.

Anyways - cheers
zeroSlave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2009 06:44
You'll need to throw a 'SYNC' near the end of the loop to tell the screen to update. Don't know if it is necessary, but you should put a 'SYNC ON' at the beginning as well.

Hope you get it working!

There's something in this room that makes you can't speak well.
ash grinder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2009 00:17 Edited at: 4th Sep 2009 08:49
Tried to run again, but its saying now that there is no directx installed.

I know that direct is installed and functioning normally because it builds and runs all the examples. The version of directx is 9.0c which is what the sys reqts say.

I don't understand why I cannot get a level from FPSC loaded and running. Others can apparently do it, but I cannot for some reason.

Does anyone know why this is happening???

Looks like I unfortunately won't be using the retail version! Doesn't work on my machine and cannot figure out why this is happening. Until I know fer sure - I'll look elsewhere!
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2009 17:02
The DBPro update doesn't work with the trial, so unless Lee actually builds a new trial, you're not going to have much luck getting the latest FPSC to compile - that needs the latest DBPro to run on.

ash grinder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2009 23:13
Do you know the versions IanM that Lee used when the video tutorials were made? Werent the vid-tutorials made sometime in 2008?

However I realize to that this doesn't mean that the trial versions of FPSC or DBP Trial were recent

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 10:35:06
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 10:35:06