Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / FPS/RPG - FPS Creator or DBPro?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2009 17:35
First of all, let me say that I'm absolutely loving my DBPro software. It's by far the best "programming engine" (for lack of better terms) that I've used, and doesn't seem to be too difficult to learn. Also, it's a step up from BYOND, which I've used for the past 5 years.

That being said, I'm wondering if I'm using the wrong program for what I want to do. Without giving anything away (cautious about theft, sorry), I'm wanting to create a RPG/FPS. I'm not aiming too high here, it's single player only, and the RPG aspects are just some passive bonuses (regeneration, extra armor, etc.). However, I do want it to be immersive, which means a lot of NPC interaction other than just chopping things up, including some puzzles, courier style quests, and some other things that really aren't seen much in FPS games.

The biggest part of this is that I'm wanting a first person perspective, but the weapons will all be melee, with only 1 or 2 guns, and the rest are swords and spears and such. So my question to you...

For ease on my part, is it better to stick with this (as I've already made some progress), or would the FPS creator be easier/faster for this kind of project?

When Russians and Americans entered space, both found pens didn't work. America spent thousands to make a working pen. The Russians used a pencil. Wisdom is greater than intelligence.
lil marioman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2009 20:29
FPS Creator would probably be easier and faster.
But the thing Dark Basic Pro has, is customization - it's your code. You can literally customize every single aspect of your game, where as in FPS Creator, you'd have to dig into the pre-made source.

I'm currently making an FPS game in Dark Basic Pro. Sure, it's gonna take a lot longer then making it an FPSC, but it offers alot more customization.

Heck, you could create your levels in FPSC, and use them in your DBPro project, thus decreasing the overall amount of development time, by making your levels faster.

Hope this helped!

Programming? Not my Forte. But THAT is!
-insert picture of a KIA Forte here-
Wasteland Seraph
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2009 21:08
Sure did! Thanks for the feedback.

I think I'll just continue using DBP, just to keep my options broad.

Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah -- DBPro is definitely better, because of the huge ability to customize what you want. You would have to put in a whole lot more effort to get a decent GUI system in FPSC and I don't even think you'd be able to get the 'passive bonuses' or anything like that in FPSC.

That said, DBPro = superior to FPSC. Always. And good luck with your game!
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2009 01:29 Edited at: 5th Sep 2009 01:30
A surprising amount of stuff is possible through FPSC's scripting, but still many times less than what is possible through DBP.

Seeing as most of your weapons are melee - you'd best stick with DBP. FPSC can do melee weapons, but it's bit of a workaround and they still leave bullet holes and such. You could do a much better job with them in DBP. In addition, the only really difficult stuff FPSC does for you is shooting (which you don't need), level editing (but not very well - it's best for small, indoor levels), and AI (which you probably will need, but hey, no solution is perfect).

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 10:35:57
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 10:35:57